*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1310942-The-Last-Son-of-Dominus-Chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1310942
The Festival's Aftermath and the Mystery of the Tomb, where Vieft learns more of his past.
The ShadowFire prince awoke from sleep with a start, welcomed by a sharp pain that spread over his head. Growling to suppress the throbbing, his investigation found the cause in a rather large bruise near the back of his head. He quieted rather quickly upon realizing that he was one amongst a room of slumbering bodies. Only a few stirred in response, most sleeping off their previous night's merriment and debauchery. The cot to the right was empty and the person of Shaden was nowhere to be found. Departing as respectfully as possible considering the close quarters, Vieft was blinded by the light of day. The morning was still early, but only barely so.

"I wondered if you would awaken in time for our 'grand adventure,'" Shaden's voice chided from Vieft's left.

Shielding his eyes with his hand, he turned to his partner with a sheepish smile. "Well, we should be off then. Lead the way back to the southern gate and we will see what the day shall bring."

With a slight smile, Shaden obliged, turning to lead the way through streets littered with refuse from the festival the night before. Cleaning crews swept through the areas, slowly but surely restoring the marketplace and its surrounding streets to their former glory. Few words were exchanged between the two, a shared memory reinforced periodically, but an unidentifiable tension stood between them.

"Tell me," Vieft finally began, "how is it that I made it to that hostel? I last remember parts of the brawl, but nothing afterward?"

"I thought you would ask eventually,” the blond noble replied with a knowing smile. "Let us say that you fought valiantly against multiple assailants, but was brought low in the chaos of what occurred."

"What do you mean exactly?"
"Someone struck you a blow to the back of your head from your blind side."

"I see," the prince responded with slight embarrassment. Despite all of his unarmed combat training by both Pennock and Charon, it was a lack of situational awareness that defeated him.

"I extracted you, though you were unconscious, to the safest and most comfortable place in the vicinity. For a while, I feared you were injured enough that you would... that you would remain unconscious. After a few hours under watch, you were at rest and I found rest as well."

As the ShadowFire began forming thoughts of how to express his gratitude, the pair turned the corner to find the southern gate just ahead. Thanks beyond a pat on the back and a grateful smile would have to wait until later. Beyond the gate stood a small group, brought together by greed and the promise of reward. None of the faces were familiar to Vieft except that of the maiden that held his attention the day before. Their temporary comrades gave them little greeting, but she addressed them as warmly as she had the night before.

"I thought you would not come, sir," she began and then nodded in greeting to Shaden as well. "I shall update you as to the situation as I have the others gathered. The tomb I spoke of last night is roughly twelve miles from where we stand -- it is the resting place of many heroes of this city. Every year, the resident priests are to send word of their status and whatever alms they accumulate in excess of their supply requirements. Two years have passed since we last heard from them, and I have been given authority to pay a hundred doran as well as transportation and arms to whoever will journey there and return word of their fate and the tomb they attended. In addition, anything you may find on your quest unrelated to either the tomb or those interred in it are yours to keep. Do you accept these terms?"

The two partners nodded and were then introduced to the other figures that formed their band. Most were adventures, mercenaries, thieves, or a mixture of the three who flocked to such opportunities like moths to a flame. The eldest among them was Rowe, an aged mercenary with a rather large scar from the corner of his mouth to his ear on the left side of his face. Considering the intensity of his presence, mannerisms, and seniority, it was no surprise that the man of few words was made the informal leader of the band. He shook the hands of both young men, bearing a special affinity for those who risked their lives while still so young.

"And I am Mari," the maiden revealed once the introductions were concluded. Her gloved hand reached into her long beige robes to produce a dated map to the site before addressing the entire group. "I shall be here to await your return. May Vryce guide your path and grant safe passage on your journey."

The maiden of Vryce handed the map to Rowe and bowed her head in respect, a gesture that was returned before the two turned from one another. The elder lead his expedition to the small herd of horses that awaited and where he would disseminate his plan to the others.

"Greetings, friends," the familiar voice of Aldyn called out to Vieft and Shaden, who was seen moving over to the two of them while everyone else moved over to the staging area. Pleasantries were exchanged as well as tales of how the events of the night before unfolded. The three talked as was common of their age, their conversation light and carefree even as they were on the verge of a serious and potentially dangerous mission.

A barked order snapped their attention back to matters at hand as the older men began to mount their steeds in preparation of departure. The three young men were quick to follow, rushing to claim their steeds and falling in with the rest. The group was formed into a lead and main element, the strongest of the fighters on point to draw the attention of potential bandits who might seek easy prey. The journey would take nearly an hour to reach the dogleg indicated on their map. A once prevalent trail led into the darkened forest towards the temple they sought. Still the band moved towards their destination, unhindered by the ominous nature of their surroundings nor the bones on the sides of the path indicating victims dragged away from the main road. Hasty ambush evidence by the roadside would allow the local militia opportunities to set traps for whatever vagrants called these woods their home.

The path opened up into a clearing and a building of smooth granite at its center surrounded by thick knee-high vegetation on all sides. The elder dismounted and moved towards the tomb's heavy blackwood doors as the band did the same and secured the horses the best they could considering their surroundings. Rowe's leathery hand moved along the doors frame, his eyes observing the etchings on its surface. The former militiamen in the party began to emplace the more inexperienced in a defensive perimeter in case they were being watched and an attack against them being planned. The elder then called one of the thieves to the entrance to assign lock-breeching duty. A lithe man groaned and began his work, which ended moments later with a soft click and a nod. Despite the open lock, the door still would not be moved as the thief pushed the door with all his might before cursing in frustration. Rowe turned to face of his fellow veterans and passed a signal that only the two could see and understand. Nodding in acknowledgment, the former guardsman motioned towards Shaden as the youngest and thinnest of the band.

"Come here, boy!" he whispered out to the blond young swordsman's position, "Quick on me!"

Shaden stood up from the knee he had taken and rushed through the tall grass over to the gathered men. After being given directions by the older man, he nodded and ran to the side of the building. Once at the corner, his hand went to his blade and his eyes alternated between his feet and the wall he traveled parallel to. Without anywhere else to focus his attention, Vieft's eyes looked onward into the shadowed woods beyond their makeshift perimeter. Soon enough, however, his friend returned to Vieft's side and repeated what he had observed, "No other doors or apparent traps."

Soon, there was more movement in the inner circle as the largest and strongest among them were called to the tomb's entrance. They plan to force their way in, Vieft thought to himself, not in total agreement with the plan. Regardless, the brutes began at once, using their legs and shoulders in turn in their attempts to destroy the obstacle. Finally, they combined their strengths and cracked both door and frame to grant entry to the rest of the party.

"Everyone up!" the militiamen ordered once the tomb had been breeched. Immediately, everyone rushed forward towards the entrance though the last three were instructed to secure the entrance. The remaining band spread out in the empty chamber before them. Shaden's pale blue eyes scanned the hall, noting the strange architecture of the place. The first few feet were flat, littered with the splinters of the broken frame, then inclined upwards slightly. Several grooves were etched into the floor, which seemed to disappear under the far wall.

“Careful, lads,” the eldest warned in a hoarse whisper, "the ground is swept and dwellers may still be afoot."

Everyone nodded and continued their investigation with caution. There was little to the antechamber, most of it probably already taken prior to their arrival. The smooth granite at their feet was devoid of the normal signs of negligence - dust, crumbled stone, or any other sign that the structure was uninhabited. Vieft could feel a certain electricity in the air, sensing that something was about to happen and though he tried to ignore it as paranoia or some working of his imagination, it simply would not go away.

Vieft, Shaden, Aldyn and a young common-born rogue by the name of Acci moved past the corridor towards the far wall, pushing beyond to ensure the chamber was not booby-trapped. As a swordsman to the far right moved across the opening of the corridor, an arrow whistled through the air to catch him the shoulder. Cries of pain followed, as did a moment of hesitation as the most seasoned of the party tried to determine if a trap had been triggered or if they were about to encounter a hostile force.

The sound of shuffling feet answered that question promptly.

“Get ready!” the elder’s voice boomed throughout the hall and every man present prepared their arms for battle. From the narrow hallway stormed several creatures that none could rightly describe as men. Their faces were deformed, their limbs disproportionate and their expressions monstrous and inhuman. They were called Wyldr, outcasts of the world of man and savages with only destruction in their hearts. More men had seen them then had lived to tell others of their existence, but the stories of the abominations were true.
Aldyn was the first to strike, bringing one of the grey-skinned creatures low with a well-placed volley. It howled and clutched its furry breast where the arrow had struck before falling still to the ground. The rest moved quickly to close in on the human intruders and engage them in melee. The sight of them alone was enough to terrify a few men – enough to drastically decrease the entire party’s combat effectiveness. Those who did fight did so in earnest, quickly cutting down the ranks of a foe that outnumbered them.

In the chaos of the battle, a metallic click went unheard over the clash of metal on metal. Aldyn, who stood as far from the engagement area as possible to provide effective cover for the swordsmen, caught glimpse of a smaller Wyldr’s attempt to escape the way they had come. Before it could reach the corridor’s entrance, an arrow found sheath in the back of its shoulder. Though injured, it vanished into the darkness beyond sight.

“It’s getting away!” the archer shouted, then paused as a popping noise filled the chamber. The fight seemed to die down as every being present tried to determine what the sound was. Suddenly, the popping ended and a slow grinding began as the far wall became unhinged and began to slide down the incline towards the entrance.

Vieft watched in uncertainty as the skirmishers below began to put towards the wall as it descended towards them. He could hear barked orders to brace the wall, though none could break the enemy’s line to even get near it. “There’s nothing we can do!” Aldyn yelled to the three who formed a protective barrier around him, “Hurry to the corridor!”

With speed born of panic and urgency, the four combatants rushed towards the only other exit from the trap aside from the entrance. The wall’s velocity continued to increase as its mass slide over the grooves designed for this purpose alone – to crush or cast out intruders and seal off the entrance until help could arrive. Vieft was the first to enter the hallway, followed shortly after by Shaden. Acci leapt headfirst into the darkened corridor, barely avoiding a gruesome death as the wall reached and passed the entrance. Aldyn scowled as he was separated from the others, turning to assist the others in their fight. One by one, the Wyldr’s fell to either the arrow or the sword, allowing the uninjured one ditch effort to hold the wall. Each man applied all their strength to stopping the plug and barely slowed its progress enough that none were crushed as it slammed into the near wall with a resounding boom. Outside, the remaining party members would treat the wounded and wait for a sign from within as to the fate of their stranded few.

Within, the three unlikely adventurers quickly moved to the end of the corridor and into an empty hall. Gentle torchlight illuminated enough of what lay ahead to determine another hallway to their left and another blackwood door ahead.

“We’re trapped! Trapped like animals!” the rogue panicked while frantically looking about for another exit. Vieft’s hand went to his shoulder, gripping it tightly to bring him still and return him to their grim reality. It took a few moments, but the older boy did calm himself enough realize his follow and quiet down.

“Any ideas?” Vieft asked of the two, turning to pose the question to Shaden specifically.

For a moment, the cool-headed young noble remained in deep though, trying to piece everything together before voicing his suggested course of action. “We need to be swift, first and foremost,” Shaden began while continuously scanning the area for any other surprises. “That… thing may have attempted to escape in order to summon a force greater than we just encountered. We will need to locate and dispatch it or else we may soon be overwhelmed.”

“And why should I listen to you two? You’re only –“ Acci began, but was silenced by a frigid glare from Shaden’s pale blue eyes.

“We should move now,” Vieft interrupted, moving between the two towards the torch on the wall. He heard the man gasp once the eye contact was broken and moved quickly away from the strange young man. With Vieft on point, they proceeded towards the door at the end of the hall while remaining vigilant for other traps that might await. Instead, they found the small creature dressed in rags that preceded them down the corridor sitting against the base of what appeared to be a statute in a pool of its own blood. Slick black hair covered its features, but the rasping sound of its breath indicated that death drew near. As the men approached, it did little to evade capture or attack, only hissing as it detected their presence. Upon closer inspection, Vieft could see the point of Aldyn’s arrow through its chest where it pierced its lung.

Lifting the torch higher revealed the figure of a man with no arms or face. Most likely smashed by a mace, the featureless statue nonetheless must have been a monument to one of the heroes interned in the tomb.

“I believe this creature is no longer a threat,” Vieft declared as he moved away from the statue towards the door at the end of the hall. Bringing the flame closer to the wood, the ShadowFire noticed an inscription on the surface. “The Hall of Commoners.”

Looking back momentarily, Vieft’s hand pushed the chamber door open. With a groan, it opened to reveal a burial vault with stone coffins lining the chamber. The three entered cautiously, each with their hands on their weapons and eyes to the shadowed places. Vieft swung the torch from side to side, revealing each of the ornately designed coffins and the wall of cobwebs beyond them. The air was filled with dust, devoid of life and presence of the current inhabitants for some time. A feeling of uneasiness came over Vieft again, his senses elevated and muscles tensing. The closer they moved to the archway on the far side of the hall, the more an acrid and foul stench became undeniable. Sounds of beasts made Vieft freeze in place, the two behind him giving pause. Before any of them could utter a word, the growls of wolves echoed throughout the hall from the darkness.

“Go back, slowly,” Vieft whispered as he saw the pack amassing at the door just beyond the torchlight. With every step back they took, the wolves would take two until the prince met the hungry gaze of the alpha male. As he did, the world around him seemed to grow silent and the torchlight brighter than ever. The animal seemed to glow with fiery red light, much larger than the rest. A scar lay across its eye, evidence of previous battles in which he had overcome his prey, but not without cost.

A cry of surprise from behind and the springing of the wolves into action shattered the moment shared between Vieft and the alpha male. The two swordsmen drew their weapons and began slashing wildly into the darkness to keep the wolves at bay. The ShadowFire prince did the same with the torch, desperately resisting the seemingly grim demise that awaited them. They were far outnumbered by the beasts, and their weapons would only hold them back for so long.

A terrified cry followed the yelp of one of the wolves from Vieft’s right. Daring to turn about, he saw Shaden pinned beneath a furry hide. He had impaled the wolf before being tackled, though it continued its attempts to claw and bite at his face. It was with great swing that Vieft knocked the beast from atop his partner, the room filling with an explosion of sparks. The torch was abandoned in turn and the room cast into darkness as Vieft grabbed his friend by his robes and bolted for the door. As soon as the both had went through, the door immediately slammed behind them. Howls and scratches followed the trio’s narrow escape, Vieft and Shaden panting from their ordeal. The light from the closed chamber slowly sputtered and died, leaving the men in total darkness.

“So what now?” Vieft asked, his hands feeling around for either of the others.

“This place will be our tomb,” Acci whispered in despair, “none of us’ll ever escape.”

“I remember there was a passage to the left of where we came out,” Vieft informed the two as he rose to his feet. “If we all move that way, perhaps we will find out more about this place and how we will get out.”

The prince was surprised for a moment that Shaden was silent during the entire process. “Shaden?” he called out a few times into the darkness in search of his friend. His hands moved from side to side until he felt a hand grasp his forearm. “I follow you always,” Vieft heard him say in a soft tone before the hand released him.

It would take some time to navigate the lightless hall, each of the three sliding one hand on the wall and holding onto another’s shoulders with the other. Five paces from the corner they sought, Vieft stumbled upon another door. For a moment, his fingers swept over the wooden surface in search of an inscription, but found none. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door to release a rush of stale, putrid air that caused the others to cough and break contact. The smell crept into his nose and down into his lungs, forcing him to breath out and draw in the foul air. Vieft joined in the coughing and felt like his stomach would turn despite his efforts to filter out the horrid smell. Watery eyes narrowed to discern shadows or shapes as he entered the room. Nearly tripping over a heap of debris, the prince found another torch and removed it from its iron-set holder on the wall.

“A torch,” he managed, the potency of the stench beginning to wane. Another step into the room and Vieft set his hand upon the wall and quickly stepped away as it moved. Once the tile was depressed, a shower of sparks illuminated the room from where the torch had once been. The room became bright for a moment, but only enough to catch a glimpse of what lay ahead. Again he pressed the trigger, this time holding the torch to where the sparks had come from. Once ignited, the torch shined light upon two skeletal remains – that of the priests Mari had concerned about. Waving the torch about, Vieft noticed nothing else of value aside the piles of broken wood that had been neatly stacked about the room. Finally, he set the lit torch to the one on the opposite of the door and passed it back through the doorway so that only one of the three would be without a torch.

“What do you see?” a voice called from behind him.

“Nothing,” the young prince replied. “Nothing at all.” He closed the door and bowed his head for a moment in respect for the slain guardians of the tomb.

“Perhaps we should move separately, to cover more area and find another way more quickly,” Shaden suggested. Each nodded in agreement and took separate directions, Shaden and Acci towards the main room and Vieft further down the hall. Steel-blue eyes narrowed to pierce the murky darkness ahead, nearly running into a wall as the hallway turned sharply. Following the path, he came into another unmarked door and opened it with little hesitation. Within was a log of wood from floor to ceiling and twice as wide as any man. On the left wall was a small window and upon peering through to the room beyond, Vieft could see the back of the wall which had earlier separated them from the main party and what appeared to be a broken chain dangling from the attached ring.

Further investigation of the chamber revealed nothing of use aside from the broken defense mechanism that trapped them within the tomb. Discouraged, the young prince retracted his steps back to the place their trouble had began.

“You need to see this!” the wild-eyed Acci said, pointing back towards the statue. Moving closer, Vieft observed his blond-headed friend kneeling down in front of the unidentifiable tribute.

I think it was hiding something during his escape,” Shaden mused, casually tossing the corpse to one side to better analyze the base now slick with the creature’s blood. Bare hands worked to push away the thick crimson, revealing the inscribed dedication.

“Alastine,” Shaden began, tracing the words to ensure he spoke correctly, “a hero who could move mountains with the strength of three men.”

“Sounds like a riddle perhaps,” Vieft mused, trying not to dwell on the sight of Shaden casually handling such a gory task.

“It is said that Alastine grants some of his might to those who truly need it,” the rogue chimed in, citing stories from his childhood.

“And there are three of us. Perhaps if we press against the wall opposite of this statue,” Shaden began, his attention moving to the wall he had discovered to be much like the one that blocked the entrance.

The trio then attempted to move the faux wall segment. First they combined their might and all pushed the wall at the same time, but to no avail. Second, they all shouted the name of Alastine as they gave a great effort to moving the block, but to no avail. Third, they earnestly sought the strength of the hero by invoking his name as the story suggested, and still to no avail. Finally, Vieft set both head and hands upon the granite in frustration. And then, he suddenly stood up and said the hero’s name three times and the stone began to move. Astonished, he turned to face the others who looked just as he did. “I – I don’t know,” he said over the sound of grinding stone sliding through the grooves. And it was with a boom that the stone settled into its alcove, a passageway revealed to the left. Within, the path was filled with cobwebs, enough to cover each of the men from head to foot before they reached the other side. A step on a pressure tile closed off their entrance while opening their exit ahead.

The group advanced into another long hallway, each nervously looking about the shadows for any more surprises this new area might hold for them. As they approached a door to the right, Vieft scouted ahead and only saw a number of bedrolls and the evidence of lengthy habitation. Seeing none of the creatures from earlier, he waved the other two forward to the end of the hall. Another door awaited them on the left and behind it another chance for escape.

The ShadowFire prince slowly opened the door, his uneasiness returning and growing stronger with each step inside. Scanning the chamber, the torch illuminated a dais and a large stone sarcophagus in the middle of the room. Two large pillars stood in the corners of the far wall and the entire room was eerily quiet – until the twang of a bow thundered through the dead air followed by the whistling of an arrow barely missed.

“Get down!” Vieft shouted, scrambling to the floor even as he saw a large shape move behind the sarcophagus. Both Vieft and Shaden moved close to the dais base effectively out of archer range, while their comrade slid behind a pillar’s protection left of the door. Long moments passed, and Vieft could hear the heavy, labored breath of their assailant. Shaden exchanged a glace with the dark-haired prince, expressing that he had an idea. Taking a chunk of stone into his bloodstained hand, he cast it hard towards the pillar Acci hid behind. Reacting quickly to the sound, the archer stood and fired towards the pillar before kneeling again to reload.

“Now!” Shaden shouted, sending both himself and Vieft into action. Both of the young men attacked fiercely, swinging their swords wildly and yelling like madmen, but their opponent was accustomed to such tactics. Instead, it blocked their strikes with its longbow and cast it aside as soon as it could draw the jagged cleaver from its back. The battle raged on for what seemed an eternity, the creatures appearance revealed in the sparks leapt from the meeting of blades. Taller than Vieft, it was clad in piecemeal armor and bore jagged teeth to the two men, blocking and counter-attacking with ferocity born of desperation. It made plenty of mistakes, ones that either of the two swordsmen quickly capitalized on, but no matter how many successful thrusts pierced its hide or slices cut into its flesh, it did not relent. Eventually, the young swordsmen began to tire, their attacks growing more sluggish while the monster they faced grew more bold. In a decisive move, it charged and left his opponents only enough time to block before shoving both onto their backs with sheer brute force. It raised its blade high above its head to slay one of the two when an arrow plunged deep into its chest.

Another arrow followed, then another from the right side of the burial chamber. Rather than be distracted by the change of events, Shaden viciously severed the creature’s leg just below the knee in a spray of dark blood. Vieft’s attention was brought back by a howl of pain and a thud as the creature fell hard off the dais to the ground below. As it scrambled for its weapon, the prince swung and severed its hand from its body. Shaden quickly returned to his feet and mercilessly hacked the downed creature with all his might and malice until there was nothing left but sections of it laying in a pool of foul smelling blood.

The bloodied swordsman panted heavily and dropped his weapon as he surveyed the carnage he had caused. It was not the first time he had killed, nor would it be the last. It was, however, the first time he recognized horror in the eyes of those who witnessed his act. Instead of impassive eyes from that of Vieft, he saw fear and uncertainty. It made him feel ill for a moment, causing him to turn away and escape those innocent eyes before being cast out again.

“Is it dead?” a familiar voice called out as it drew closer. Looking in its direction, Vieft could make out Aldyn’s features in the soft torchlight. The young archer cringed at the sight, then whistled low as he made his assessment. “I’d say it’s very dead,” he murmured. After stepping over a few body parts, he offered the rattled prince a hand to help him back onto his feet.

“Who is there?” Acci questioned wearily, bringing forward one of the torches from his hiding place. He too cringed at the sight, then quickly looked to the red-haired archer whose intervention turned the tide of battle.

“Aldyn, a moment of the same band. We were ambushed by a number of those – things, and I volunteered to follow their path back here. They climb through a hole in the ceiling of the upper room when – “ he stopped abruptly, disgusted by the squirming of the creature’s body. “Wait, are its wounds healing?” he whispered in disbelief.

“Burn it,” Shaden instructed them with a voice devoid of emotion, returning to the scene with a torch in hand.

“What?” Aldyn protested in shock. “Its still alive!” His words were met with a gaze that chilled his very soul. As he took steps backwards, Acci did the same in fear of the young man who stood before them drenched in blood. Without hesitation or remorse, Shaden set the creature ablaze and watched it until the writhing and screeching of its agony ceased.

Vieft remained silent until the smell of burning flesh brought him back to the reality of their situation. Covering his mouth and nose, he caused and moved away to avoid vomiting, barely reining in his disgust. Once the smoke dissipated, the four gathered on their unspoken leader and formulated a plan. Aldyn and Acci, who happened to be a locksmith of sorts, would discover if the upper room had anything that might aid in finding a way out of the tomb while Vieft and Shaden would remain to ensure nothing would sneak up behind them to disturb their efforts. Words were few among any of them, each focused on the task before them. The two nobles remained silent, even once the others had gone, and there was enough tension between them it was nearly palpable.

“Thank you,” Shaden began quietly, finally breaking the silence. “For helping me when I fell under the wolf. I thought those would have been my final moments.”

“You would have done the same for me, would you not?” Vieft replied, offering a smile as he leaned onto the stone sarcophagus. Shaden returned the smile, and upon mimicking his behavior the base of the hero’s resting place shifted. The two looked at each other, then stood to see what had just happened. Soon both were pushing the heavy stone with everything they had left. The smell of stale air greeted them as they moved it far enough to reveal a hidden staircase leading down into the bowels of the tomb. And for a moment, the pair stared down into the darkness unsure as to how to proceed or react to this new development.

The ShadowFire prince had felt a certain force guiding them through the tomb to this very place and down into the depths. It had protected him from the wolves, enabled him to find the safe passage once they had escaped them, and gave him strength during his battle with the monster they had defeated. It seemed that it was all for a reason, and his journey was not yet complete.

“Keep watch,” Vieft requested, positioning himself to descend the staircase. All he received in response was a nod of understanding and a ‘good luck’ before stepping off into the unknown. A cool breeze welcomed him, once that stirred the dust from the earthen floor before vanishing as quickly and mysteriously as it had came. The light from the torch above was enough to spread a soft golden glow throughout the hidden hall, though the furthest wall was still hidden by shadow. Something about the place made Vieft feel at peace, safer than any other place in the tomb above. Steel-blue eye scanned from left to right noting several large urns placed in alcoves on both sides. Carved of white marble and set with jewels of all sorts, they seemed extraordinary for a regional tomb, no matter if the highest figure interred was a hero. Vieft only counted five before his attention was drawn to a natural stonewall and the image of a man carved into it. Tall and proud he stood, dressed in ceremonial armor the prince did not recognize but was awestruck by. In his hands, he held a sword by the handle and its blade close to his heart.

“We have waited many years for your arrival, young ShadowFire,” a faint voice greeted him. “Do not be alarmed,” it said before the mortal boy could react in fear, “I speak on behalf of your ancestors, whose spirits have dwelled among this place to welcome you this day.”

“What do you mean?” Vieft questioned in a cautious tone.

“There are many things you do not yet understand Vieft, last son of Dominus. All the world have been given to you, but it deceives you.”

“The world deceives me?”

“Since the day of your birth, power has been your birthright for the blood of gods and kings flows through you. You have felt it in subtle ways and have even resisting its pull at times. Yet you are ignorant of all things and until you embrace the truth of your heritage, your destiny will be forfeit. “

Vieft looked away from the carving’s shadowed face, hoping that by focusing on something else, the confusion would be lifted as well. That same gentle breeze gave him assurance that the step he pondered was the one he was to take. “How might I embrace ‘the truth’ then?”

“The first step on your path has been taken, young prince. Take nothing in the coming days for what it appears and remain vigilant – in time truth shall be revealed unto you. Beware though, that your life has been forever altered and great strife awaits, as does exaltation. Until that time comes Vieft, last son of Dominus, farewell.”

The voice faded into the silence of the grave once more, leaving the prince alone in his thoughts. Surely that could not have happened, he told himself, though his mind still tried to extract meaning from the mysterious voice’s words.

“Vieft!” Shaden’s voice pierced through the through the turbulent clouds in the prince’s mind. Suddenly, the rest of the world flooded back to him, and his muscles ached as if he had been standing for quite some time. “I am coming down there!”

“No!” he shouted in response, his voice hoarse as he stumbled back towards the light, “I am coming out!”

“Did you fall asleep?” he was asked as pale blue eyes witnessed his friend returning to view. “The others departed nearly an hour ago, the way the archer had come.”

“Then we should hurry to follow,” Vieft declared, accepting aid up the stairs. He gave a final look down the earthen chamber before the two went up to the upper room where a rope led to the roof. Using it to climb back to the grassy surroundings of the tomb, they surveyed the aftermath of the ambush Aldyn had mentioned. The sound of flies buzzing angrily everywhere in the high grass suggested that the death of the inhuman skirmishers had occurred hours before. Many of the creatures lay dead where they fell, though some had crawled through the grass but a few feet before succumbing to their wounds. No men were found about the area, nor were the horses that brought the two to their present location.

“It would seem that our ‘friends’ have all returned and left us stranded,” Shaden said darkly. “In any case, the sun shall set soon, so –“
“I agree,” Vieft interjected before Shaden could finish his words. “Let us be off.”

And with those words, the two young men began their long road back to Izibelica, burdened and ill-prepared for what awaited them there.
© Copyright 2007 The Last Son (onixstryke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1310942-The-Last-Son-of-Dominus-Chapter-3