*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311279-Tale-About-Happiness
Rated: · Short Story · Fantasy · #1311279
Its about how difficult and how easy it is to find happiness.
TALE ABOUT HAPPINESS

High, high up in the sky, where the clouds, like small kids, swung happily on the sun rays, laid the Golden Birds city.
Life in the city was easy and beautiful. All the birds were friendly, all treated each other with love and understanding.
On weekends birds used to meet with friends and drink summer rain, listen to the music, dance, talk. They were talking about art, literature, and simple everyday things. The most important responsibility and the sense of life for each bird was taking care of their Happiness. Sooner or later a small creature would knock on the door of every house. It was smiling and had a small sun under the left wing. That’s how the birds recognized their Happiness, and then they would invite it to stay, they would take a good care of it, feed it with the tastiest cookies, and make its bed in the warmest and the coziest corner in the house.
No wander the birds treated Happiness with such great love. As it once has come, although nothing seemed to change, everything did, because the change was deep-deep in the heart. With Happiness in the house everybody got a new, absolutely wonderful sense of life. They felt so good… Their hearts were shining…
Well, not all of the birds took a good care of their Happiness. There was one sparrow, living in the city, her name was Lili. She was sweet and cute, but so irresponsible. She spent her days diving into clouds, playing with the Wind, flying to the Magic mountain and back. In the evenings she would be telling her friends:
- You will not believe where I was last night! I actually flew all the way to the stars and danced with them.
So…Lili has totally forgotten her Happiness, didn’t feed it, didn’t take it for a walk, didn’t put it to bed on time. One day she flew out to the forest and forgot to close the window. Happiness got cold and sick. It left the house, looking for better owner. Poor Happiness, it got lost.

*****

Far-far away from the Golden Birds city, there was a nowhere place, and there was an old rotten tree in that place and a sad small bird, sitting on the very top of the tree. Birds name was Chill. She was very sad, because she was thinking too much, and those thoughts weren’t bright. They gave her emptiness…
Strong wind blew, pushing heavy clouds together. They crashed into each other with lightning, and burst into rain. It was time for Mrs. Storm to do her dance. Everybody thought she was insane and quite dangerous, but she danced beautifully. There was a moment of silence, as she came out and held her head gracefully, going to begin, but…suddenly she heard a sigh and looked down.
- Was it you who sighed? Mrs. Storm asked the little bird.
- Yes, answered Chill.
- You’re too young to be so sad, my dear. What’s the matter?
- I don’t really know. I have so many thoughts in my head…I can’t handle it so well, I guess. It’s like I’m stuck in something muddy and sticky, and I don’t know how to get out of it. The little bird explained.
- You just need to stop thinking, and start feeling. Be brave enough to make a change, don’t stay where you are, go look for your happiness. Fight the challenges, find the new worlds, discover yourself. Damn, I’m wise! Mrs. Storm laughed and went to dance. Well, as I said, everybody thought she was insane…
Chill took off…
The little bird flew over the fields, and lakes, and woods, and as she got tired, she decided to land in the first town that would be on the way. It happened to be the Beauty town. Chill was walking down the pretty streets, looking at beautiful buildings, meeting good looking strangers. There were big white flowers all around, and as the wind touched them gently, they played magic music.
It was getting late, dark and cold. Chill didn’t know where to stay for the night, so she just set beside the fountain that was in the centre of the town. A pretty bird came up to her and said:
- I see you don’t have anywhere to go to. You’re welcome to stay in my house, come with me. You must be hungry too. I live here, around the corner. What’s your name, by the way? I’m Sana.
- I’m Chill, nice to meet you.
- You have a funny name, but I like it. So, where do you come from? What brings you here?
- I come from a nowhere place, replied Chill, and I am looking for happiness. Your town is my first stop.
- A nowhere place? I have never heard of it.
- Nobody has, don’t worry, smiled Chill.
New friend made a nice cup of tea for her guest.
- So, you’re looking for happiness. Hahaha….happiness is just a phantom, laughed Sana. Can you see it? No! Wander why? Because it doesn’t exist! Beauty is a real value. Beauty gives meaning to our lives, it makes us smile, makes us feel special, inspires for good deeds. Screw happiness, stay here, and enjoy the beauty!
So Chill stayed in the Beauty town. She spent her beautiful days with her beautiful friends, having fun, being surrounded by beauty. The little bird thought there couldn’t be anything better. A month has passed… Chill got so sick of beauty, she left on the very same day she realized it.
The little bird flew over the fields, and lakes, and woods again, and as she got tired, she decided to land in the first town that would be on the way. This time it happened to be the Freedom town, inhabited mainly by the winds. The town was quite charming, with blue buildings and mysterious streets, and the atmosphere of ultimate freedom. It felt as if everything in the world was happening just for you, with no effort required. No duties, no responsibility, no attachment, no dependence. Absolute freedom.
Chill was so amazed by everything she saw and felt, it took her a while to notice, that somebody has been following her.
- Finally, I’ve been noticed, somebody smiled.
- Oh, sorry, replied the little bird.
- That’s alright. I am the Windchaser, and who are you?
- I’m the wanderer looking for happiness. I just fly, and fly, and fly, and look for happiness, Chill replied.
- I see. Well, congratulations! You’re about to find out that happiness it nothing, but freedom is everything. In our town life is as free as it gets: free of choices, free of fear, free of trouble, free of responsibility, free of care. Just stay here for a while to taste the perfect freedom and your heart will sing!
The little bird stayed in the Freedom town for three weeks. She realized that the perfect freedom is actually nothing but emptiness. Chill got very sad, she left the town, without even saying “good bye”.
The little bird flew over the fields, and lakes, and woods again, and as she got tired, she decided to land in the first town that would be on the way. It happened to be the Wisdom town. This time Chill was not so hopeful as before. She was sad, a bit disappointed and a bit confused.
She saw a snake lying in the sun and went straight to her:
- Excuse me, would you like to talk to me a little? I think I need some help.
- You’re so young and so not hopeless, what can I do for you? The Snake whispered.
- You see, I am on a special trip – looking for my happiness. I believe I can find it, but it’s not easy (not that I expected it to be)…Maybe some encouragement could help me a little.
- Oh, sweet little stranger. You are so funny. Happiness is just some silly feeling that tickles your heart and gives nothing. On the other side wisdom makes your heart noble and gives your life a sense.
Chill could not hear things like these any more, she just took off.
“This young lady is so impolite”, the Snake thought, turning to another side.
Little bird got really upset; she couldn’t keep herself from crying (violating the safety rules in the sky, by the way). The truth is you can’t help yourself with tears. Chill knew it, so she decided to help herself with some rest and landed on a hill. There was a sign “THE EDGE”. There was another bird sitting beside the sign, whistling…
- My god, what had happened to you? You look terrible, the whistling bird said.
- Nothing happened. That’s the problem, - Chill smiled bitterly, - hey, can you hear that?
- What?
- Listen…Somebody’s asking for help.
- Yes, it’s over there, in the bushes. Let’s go look.
Two birds looked in the bushes and saw…small, helpless Happiness.
Chill got shivers and was about to cry again, but there was no point in it any more, so she smiled.
- Finally…I have found my Happiness, - little bird smiled again. Come here, my little Happiness, don’t be afraid, I will take a good care of you and I will make you feel better. We’ll be so happy together.
- Eheh, would you mind if I help you to take care of Happiness? Another bird asked.
- Not at all, replied Chill. It will be so nice!

And it was really nice…

© Copyright 2007 LittleSpider (littlespider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311279-Tale-About-Happiness