*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311438-Outragious-Patient
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1311438
contest;Twisted Tales
Dr. Harts loves going to his clinic on Mondays, because it a brand new week and a new start. He especially looks forward to helping his patients feel better. This morning, however, began with a bad start. The coffee machine will not work, he accidentally knocked his late wife picture frame down, and worst of all Denny Pickles was waiting for him in his office.
Denny, is fifty years old and a faithful volunteer at Dr. Harts clinic. Denny and the Doc. were both golf buddies and leaders in their church, but lately Denny had been complaining about a headache that will not leave no matter what Dr. Harts prescribes. He had been coming to see the old doctor everyday for about two weeks now, and his complains is giving the doctor himself a headache.
“Hello Doc.” Denny mumbles, as the doctor closed the door behind himself.
“I ran out of prescriptions Den.” replied Dr. Harts. Apparently not happy Danny was there in his office.
“I’m not feeling any better Doc. I can’t sleep, can’t eat or laugh without pain.” He made a fuzzy face probably pain from yelling.
“I still have to wait for that CAT scan of your head and see if there is an unusual case. There might be a tumor in your brain.” He said that with doubt in his mind.

***
“The x-ray looks fine to me.” Dr. Martins said, looking at Dr. Harts.
“I know. I checked six times for anything that is unusual.”
“If you ask me I will say your patient is exaggerating.” He said, and then took a sip from his coffee mug. “Why do you believe him anyway?”
“We’ve known each other for years now. He is not going to lie to me, what good will come from that. By the way he’s becoming more angry every minute and abusive to his family. How do you explain that?”
“That is not a good report, Harts.”
“I know.”
***
Dr. Harts was looking at Danny’s medical record, when the phone rang.
“Hello.”
“This is Rene,” Rene is Danny’s wife. “Danny just passed out and he is in the emergency room right now.” She said the last three words with a sob.
At the hospital Dr. Harts and Rene waited for the medical result. Twenty minutes later the doctor that examined Danny came out and said they found nothing wrong with him.
“Check his head.” exclaimed Rene.
“Why Madam?” the doctor asked.
“He had been complaining about migraine for three weeks now.”
“Yeah,” Dr. Harts added almost immediately. “I checked the CAT scan of his brain six times and found nothing serious, so I overlooked the problem. Rene, may I talk to you for a moment?”
Dr. Harts led Rene to the family waiting room and they took their seats.
“Has Danny ever had problems with his head before?” Dr. Harts asked hoping to get somewhere.
“When he finished high school he needed a job to support himself through college, so he worked as a railroad foreman. He was packing sticks of dynamite with a tamping rod one day at work when it exploded, sending the rod through his left cheekbone and out it came from the top of his head. He recovered immediately, but they took him to the hospital anyway and they patching up the scalp and cheek flesh.”
“I’m surprise he survived at all.”
Danny was conscious once again, but died five years later, from a huge brain damage, because the surgeon could not fix his brain. Dr. Harts never came to the conclusion of how Danny could have survived during the explosion, and died years later from head injury. Danny died at the age of fifty-five. He left a wife and five children.
(Word count: 631)

© Copyright 2007 yoyomary (maryyoyo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311438-Outragious-Patient