*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313173-Fates-Arms-First-Four-Chapters
by Calvin
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1313173
The first four chapters of my new fantasy novel. More to be posted at a later date.
Fate’s Arms

Chapter 1: The Night’s Arrival

Midnight engulfed the forest’s surroundings. The rustle of dry leaves amplified making the loudest noise in the autumn night. In addition, were the sounds of creaking boughs as if the trees were talking to each other. But in this world that was not an uncommon thing, in fact the trees in this world were the wisest of all living things. They had much knowledge and were the base of all life in this land.
Throughout the forest were a plethora of plants, trees, flora, and brushwood but as the forest thinned there was a peculiar clearing. Amidst the thickets and stumps lay a boy.
He was slumped on roots that veined into a tall aged tree. The boy had dark brown hair, which was disheveled and was his skin was fair in color. His sepia pants had been torn and his white shirt looked to be shredded by an animal.
He lay unconscious with tattered clothing, which lead to several gashes on his body. Upon his bloodied shoulder was an incoherent symbol, something that was sacred to a certain race. It looked like a waning crescent moon with ancient letters around it. The symbol seemed to glimmer somewhat gold every so often. It was a curiosity that only meant power or magic.
Several hours passed and the boy had not yet stirred but the trees surrounding now creaking more and more. Then all of a sudden words started developing from the wood.
         A raven had perched itself on a maple tree.
“Daemon? Are you awake? Daemon?” said the raven. He sounded very confused.
“Yes Raff,” he said calmly. “I’ve been awake for a short time now, what is it that you seek?
“What has happened in our wood? I saw fire off in the distance and I could hear yelling and screaming.” Raff said anxiously.
“I believe I cannot answer you, I too am perplexed. All I know is that there is a boy lying upon my roots Raff.” The tree yawned very loudly.
Raff looked down at the tree’s roots. There was indeed a boy on the ground. He was still as the morning breeze blew his hair and bloodied shirt around. Raff flapped his wings and looked shocked.
“Who, wha—where did he…is he alright, do you know him Daemon?” Raff couldn’t fathom a coherent thought, or question at that matter.
“Let me see,” the tree opened his barked eyelids and looked down at the body. “No I’m afraid I haven’t the foggiest of whom this might be— but he needs help Raff, what of that man that lurks in the forest?”
“Rayne!” the raven shouted and squawked. “Yes he’ll know what to do,” said the raven and he started to take off and said, “I will fly, he hasn’t much time left yet does he?”
“Yes, time is of the essence Raff,” said tree wisely, “he hasn’t much time.”
The bird took of in a split second. He raced over the trees, though not very graceful but with haste. He flapped his wings ferociously leaving a feather to fall into the terrain below. When he stopped flapping he stuck his beak out like a taper knife to glide in the uplifting air.
After awhile he searched the ground below to find a perfect landing spot. He darted downwards and landed on a large poplar tree that was in front of a small brown hut. It was forged from large trees and mud, and had a slender chimney poking from its roof that was bellowing smoke.
The bird cawed. He cawed a second time, but this time much louder. He was about to caw again when a mangy man blasted through the door.
“What is it this time Raff,” roared the man “Always piping at my door when I’m in the middle of something!”
“Rayne, I’m sorry to disturb you but,” Raff choked back “In the clearing there is a boy, he is badly wounded and is unconscious. I need your help Rayne.”
“How bad, is he dying?” asked Rayne, this time he spoke very soft.
“I think he may be, he is cut all around his body and there is blood everywhere” replied Raff.
“Hold on. Let me get my things and I’ll jump on Faunda.” Said Rayne steadily.
The man went into his house. Raff followed and settled on a chair. He retrieved a green sack and put herbs and other sorts of healing potions in his satchel. Then he reached for a couple of long white cloths. Rayne then threw those into the sack. He jogged outside with Raff flying outside flapping his wings to the direction where the boy was. Meanwhile the tattered man saddled his horse Faunda. He tied his supplies to the saddle and jumped on the mare.
“Faunda, we must ride to the clearing.” Rayne commanded.
The horse understood and ran with much more superior agility than the raven. They sped past him flying overhead with his fluttering wings. Compared to the raven the horse had much more poise and grace than the raven could ever dream of.
The two keep running until the trees started to thin and clearing came into view. Rayne’s eye darted around to try and find the boy until he saw him lumped onto a root. From a far he could see that he was indeed, badly injured.
But perhaps thought Rayne there is time to still save him. I will bandage him up and have him drink some elixir. That will at least revive him and help him overcome his weakness. Rayne was hoping nothing else was wrong him, maybe just a few cuts here and there.
He slowed his horse to stop and leapt off, walking briskly to the wounded. He crept down and eyed him for a moment, and then he got his supplies from his satchel and started to clean his cuts. Rayne wrapped the white cloths around the boy’s arms and legs to help stop the bleeding. He then saw the marking on his shoulder.
         “What’s this,” he asked himself “Amazing, I haven’t seen this kind of a symbol in ages. I must bring him back and show…”
         Just then Raff flew in with his heart racing. “Sorry Rayne. Not quite as quick as I wished to be,” the raven said grudgingly. “How is he? Is he going to be alright?” asked Raff.
         “I think so, he’ll need some rest. These wounds are especially deep. Doesn’t look like any ordinary sword or dagger that made these cuts,” Rayne said befuddled. “I’ll put him on Faunda and we’ll take him back to my home. We’ll have to hope for the best.”
The raven agreed and Rayne hoisted him up on his horse and he got behind him and they rode off into the woods with a much slower speed this time. At that time the raven flew off to tell others of the happenings in the wood.

Chapter 2: The Healer

         Rayne placed the boy on his bed. He looked at the boy with great amazement then turned to unpack his sack of all sorts of medicines and healing agents. He placed the unused cloths up on a shelf that was next to a shelf with numerous antique books that were mainly about healing, animals, ancient runes, and books about Faerma.
         The man was much older than the boy; he had long black hair and a beard that touched his sternum. His eyes were pitted into a sea of tough skin, obviously showing of age and intelligence. Each of his hands was calloused and was incredibly burly, as they illustrated his life.
         As much as he was isolated, he was strong in the heart and had many years of trifle and deception. Rayne had seen agony at it’s best, but he never meant to trouble himself over the past.
In the meantime he kept his living space tidy and worked in his garden, which was full of herbs, vegetables and other sorts of exotic plants. Beside the garden was a patch of vines that snaked along the house and crept up and over its roof. If a person were to guess, his house would convey a large earthy mound in the middle of the forest.
         Rayne fiddled through a cupboard and pulled out a pot and filled it with water. He lit a fire on the fireplace stove and started to boil it. After a while he threw in some hawthorn and a good amount of white tealeaves.
         From the bed came a rustle and a moan from the awoken boy. Rayne looked over his shoulder and smiled. “Good morning.” Said Rayne courtly.
         “Who? Where am I? What’s going on?” said the confused boy.
         “Do not be frightened, you are safe,” reassured Rayne. “I am Rayne Tänom. You were injured and unconscious, so I took you in.”
         The boy looked puzzled and scratched his head. His eyes were still contracting to the light around him. When he adjusted he looked around the house and saw all the books and herbs on the shelves. Then he witnessed the wounds around his body. The boy cleared his throat and started to speak.
         “What has happened to me,” he looked astonished “I feel incredibly weak and I am sore.”
         “Calm down, rest you need your strength,” Rayne eyed his wounds “What is your name?”
         The boy gazed at the walls. Had he forgotten his name, surely no? How could one forget their name? He concentrated hard. After a minute or two he remembered from his blank mind.
My name is Costa he thought but that’s all I can remember.
He recited his name to Rayne.
         “Well Costa, have you a family, why were you out in the middle of Aegro.” Rayne questioned.
         “I cannot remember anything. All I know is my name.” Costa replied.
         Rayne walked over with a cup of his homemade reviving tea. There was a lot of steam coming the top and when Costa touched his lips to it he pulled back and yelped.
         “Sorry, I should of mentioned that it would be hot,” said Rayne “But do drink up, that will help soothe your soreness and relieve some pain.”
         Rayne retreated to the kitchen again to fetch a bowl of black moist paste. After he took a loaf of bread and ripped it in half.
         “Here,” he said “it’s fresh bread, eat up,” he added a smile.
         “Thank you,” whispered Costa, and he took a big bite out of the bread and sipped his tea once more. It had certainly cooled down from before. He saw the bowl of black paste, but before he could ask Rayne explained the substance.
         “This is Black Vulnus agent,” Rayne spoke “It is to be spread on your wounds and then is bandaged up. It was an old ancient healing mode that was used by the gnomes.”
         Costa looked intrigued. He had remembered that he lived in a mystical land. Many things couldn’t be explained that happened here, there were two primary races; the gnomes and the humans.
His memory had been gathering slowly, though he was still perplexed on how his mind had been erased.
         But he ignored these thoughts as hoping it would come back soon. So he took another big bite of bread and looked at the man, Rayne. Costa wanted to know more about this man and why he was so thoughtful to save Costa’s life.
         “Who are you exactly Rayne,” asked Costa. “Sorry but I know little about what is happening around me and I would like to know more about you.”
         “I lived out in these woods as a recluse almost,” he admitted “I used to live in a town called Nordev. I sold potions and herbs there, and I also healed and cured people of many sicknesses and diseases. I made a well profit and was largely known as the best in my field.”
         “Why don’t you live there anymore?” asked Costa.
         He took a deep breath and rubbed his fingers over his face trying to search for the right words.
“Well, King Viserus heard of my talent and he needed me to do a job.” Rayne paused for moment than continued. “I was to heal his mistress, Lady Jobee. She was terribly ill and I couldn’t revive her, I tried all I could but she was too far from any potion. I failed.”
         Rayne looked stern, but in an instant his eyes watered with distress. He glanced around the room and then met Costa’s face.
         “I’m sorry,” he said a little more relieved. “But as I was saying. I failed, and that only meant one thing for Viserus. He shouted at me saying ‘How can you be a true healer when you can’t even save my love,’ after that he ordered me to be killed and for my family to be killed as well. He sent me to a prison and he went into my hometown to slaughter my family.
         “I found a way to escape by taking the guards keys. I knocked the guard out cold and stole a horse to try and intercept Viserus and his soldiers. But when I returned my house had been raided and set on fire. Both my son and wife were burned at the stake. I was too slow.
“Yet I wanted revenge. But I knew my weak self couldn’t do it, not with all the grief slowly my mind down. Eventually I gave up and fled into the forest of Aegro, I shut myself out here from anyone mourning over my beloved family. But I’ve grown with the forest over these nine years.”
         Costa watched Rayne regain his composure. He felt awful trying to make the man relive his trauma. He patted him on the back.
         “I’m very sorry Rayne.” He said softly.
         “Don’t be, it was long ago and I’m stronger now.” He said half smiling.
         It was quiet for a while, the sound of the forest echoed into the house. The sound of leaves bustling in the wind mocked the sound of crashing waves at an ocean. The cool breeze came in and swooped Rayne’s long hair and caught him by surprise.
         “Rather gusty out isn’t it?” He looked outside and then at Costa. Costa moved onto his stomach and stared into the distance. Though his crescent symbol appeared once again into Rayne’s eyes.
         “Costa, do you remember anything about that odd mark on your shoulder blade?”
         Costa stretched his head back to try and reached it. He saw the glimmering symbol and looked confused. He then shook his head.
         “If you wouldn’t mind I’d like to bring you to an friend of mine, Mysta, tomorrow. She’s not far from here; her house is past the forest, on the outskirts of the town Clamorr. She’s gifted, and knows a lot about magical occurrences and history— she’s a bright woman. She may well unfold some memories for you.” Said Rayne.
         Costa smiled “That’d be wonderful, I would be pleased to visit your friend.”
         “Then we can leave tomorrow at dawn,” said Rayne. “We can both fit on my horse Faunda.”
         Costa then realized that he needed to get some rest so he could regain his strength for tomorrows ride. So he turned to his side and closed his eyes. His started thinking of the marking on his back and what it could mean, but before he knew it he went into a deep sleep.

Chapter 3: A Symbol of Destiny

         The sunlight spilled into the hut like water soaking a cloth. Costa’s eyelids fluttered rapidly as they opened slowly to see Rayne putting food into a green satchel. He yawned and stretched his arms. He raised his torso and slid his legs off the bed and onto the rough wooden floor. Rayne turned slowly and looked at Costa.
         “How are you feeling?” asked Rayne. He moved closer and sat down while unraveling one of his bandages.
         “I feel much better, I don’t feel sore or weak.” Said Costa proudly.
         “Your gashes have definitely made an improvement,” Rayne said pulling more bandages off. “Look you can see the skin starting to grow again. But we’d better get you newer bandages, you aren’t completely healed yet.”
         Rayne told Costa to sit still while he applied the new bandages. This time he didn’t apply the Black Vulnus agent, instead he poured a clear liquid on the cuts. Costa then winced; the liquid had stung him. Rayne told him it was to prevent the wound from being infected.
As long as it helps me get stronger thought Costa.
         “There,” Rayne said satisfied, “That should hold you for awhile. I’ve never seen someone heal as fast as you are doing. It would usually take someone a fortnight to heal from these kinds of injuries.”
         “Perhaps it’s got something to do with that marking.” Costa added.
         “Possibly, but we will soon find out from Mysta.” Said Rayne
         He then went back to putting more things into his pack, and tossed Costa some food. He caught it and recognized that it was an apple and then bit into it. As he continued to devour the apple, Rayne saddled up Faunda. He returned inside and announced that it was time to leave.
         Rayne hoped onto the mare and Costa looked at its exquisiteness. The horse was burnt sienna and had a black mane; its legs were very muscular yet it wasn’t a massive horse. But it was clear that it could hold the two with ease.
         A hand reached down to Costa, he grabbed and he was pulled up. Rayne took hold of the reigns and told it to go to the ridge of the forest, and the horse started to move.
It was almost like the horse understood he said completely. Costa wondered if perhaps Rayne could speak with animals, so he repeated the questions to Rayne.
“I was born with a rare gift, I can talk to most animals,” said Rayne. “I’ve only managed to talk to horses, birds, dogs, and wolves.”
“That was one the ticket that helped me escape imprisonment from Viserus.” He said.
Costa was surprised, he was now aware of such greater things in this world. He marveled if he could talk to animals. It soon failed as he attempted to talk to the horse Faunda, when only no response came back.
As the two traveled Rayne rambled on about his apothecary he used to own. He told a few humorous stories about a man that used to buy potions to play tricks on his wife. So he bought a potion that turned him into a frog, when in fact he took so much that after the antidote he had a number of frog attributes.
The stories lasted until they got to the rim of the forest. There were clear fields in front of them with only a few trees. Costa searched the skies and saw a few hawks soaring over the fields and circling over the forest. The hawks had found their meal; Costa envied them because he was starting to get hungry.
Then he then saw the forest jut back out and cut off part of the field where there was a small house facing the field and it’s back to the forest.
That must be Mysta’s house thought Costa.
They continued to ride to the house when Rayne spoke.
“When we enter I will enter first,” he then said with a half-witted smile “She is a very unusual woman. Very superstitious, I sometimes think she makes up some superstitions to be an inconvenience.” He chuckled to himself.
They finally approached the house and they both leapt off the horse. Rayne walked to the door and rapped on the door four times. The sound of hurried footsteps came to the door and there was startled response.
“And whom might this be?” she asked. Rayne cleared his throat.
“It’s Rayne Tänom,” he replied. “I have someone here with me, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy meeting him.”
“Oh,” she sounded rather enthused, “I hope it’s worth my wild; I’m busy conjuring something at the present time.” Said Mysta. She finally creaked the door open slowly and looked to see if there were any threats about. Then opened the ajar door to its full extent, she eyed Costa, then politely beamed at Rayne.
“Well, don’t lay around for the wolves come on inside,” exclaimed Mysta. “Eh, be mindful not to tread any dirt into my house, it could create a dust demon. Not a pretty sight.” Rayne simply cocked his head and shot a grin to Costa that could only mean ‘See what I’m talking about?’
The two entered the small living space, which was stacked with assortments of anomalous instruments and piles upon books and books. Costa saw an instrument that looked like a telescope but had several gems engraved into it. At the end was a cone shaped piece that was clear and had a blue gem at its vertex. Next to this gadget was a table that had a hefty book with a gold title, which read Polot’s Guide: Astronomy and It’s Powers. Besides that book was a much smaller one, it was entitled The Magic Anthology: by Menthros Daeton, it was old and tattered, and it had to be at least fifty years old. This book seemed to intrigue Costa for some unknown reason, until his thought process was interrupted by Mysta’s shrieking voice.
“So Rayne please enlighten me on this subject’s, what did you say, ‘insignia’.” She pressed her middle and ring finger to her withered lips.
Rayne motioned to Costa. He lifted his shirt off and turned around to show the mark. Mysta’s eyebrows rose to the top of her skull. She mumbled a few words to herself and stood up to get a closer look. Costa waited patiently as she scrolled her eyes around it with immense admiration. She finally stopped and told the two to sit down.
“What is your name boy?” said asked.
“Costa.” He responded.
“Well Costa what you have upon your shoulder is an extremely rare mark that is created by someone with the knowledge of magic. This mark, which is called an Esi, usually acts as a prophecy,” she stowed her glasses upon the table and redirected her attention to Costa. “The prophecy ties two or more people in its magical scripture.
“Lets say someone was after me because I destroyed their home out of pure hatred or evilness to gain power; this is a simple example mind you. The victim’s emotion can cause a force of magic, only which the strongest can handle, to seek revenge. And no this revenge isn’t out of pure selfishness but for the greater good of other human beings.
“So maybe this example isn’t that helpful— Oh well you’ll get the idea.” She looked lost in her thoughts.
“Anyway, with destroying me through a vessel, which is usually an unborn child from the victim of the act, it could restore the balance of good versus evil.
“Too much good can only survive for too long and too much evil can only last for a while. When something gets out of hand there will always be a person who is affected dearly and this may destroy them and cause feelings to rise up a force of magic to clear this evil.
“However there have been people who try and put a stop to these happenings. They gain more power through magic and control. They try and control the thoughts of people to make sure that all is good and there is no flaw in their plan.”
“ Though naturally there is bound to be someone who can resist this.” Said Costa
“Very true, usually a person can think he flawless when the flaw is sitting right in front of their eyes. We all overlook things, no is absolutely perfect.
“Overall magic and emotion are linked, if there is no feeling then the magic ceases to exist. Emotion is the key factor in the usage of magic.” She scratched her nose and wiped her forehead.
“Do you understand this?” she asked Costa.
“Yes, but I haven’t a clue of this Esi, I don’t know how I acquired it or what I’m foreseen to accomplish. All I can remember is my name.” Said Costa.
“Ah, there lies a problem young one. Typically a person with an Esi can infer his destiny in due time. You on the other hand must discover your memory to complete your task, or tasks.” She said.
“But if I wanted to use magic to recover my memories or read my Esi I could do it right?” Asked Costa.
“You must feel the flow of magic and emotion as two separate things. Then you must combine them together to alter whatever you are choosing to change. But to recover your memories would only mean destruction to your mind. Since you have no feelings as to what you felt in your past memories there could be trouble. The magic would unlock your thoughts, yes, but this would conflict with your present memories as of right now. Too much information leading into your brain could cause a mental ruin. Basically your mind would be ruined.”
Costa looked as though all was lost. Mysta looked at him as she had just read his mind.
“Well an Esi can be deciphered. But it is a task that is far beyond anyone’s reach. Even a person like myself cannot foresee your path, because it is a tainted by a magical force,” she looked with beaming eyes. “Let me sketch you the Esi on a piece of parchment so that you can see it clearly.”
So she did, and got out of her seat went to the table and fetched a quill. She then lifted a large plant off a stack of parchment and slid the piece off of the stack and returned to her seat. She turned Costa around so that she could view the symbol, and she began to draw it. The sound of the quill scratched so harshly that it seemed like it was scratching in Costa’s ear.
While she continued, Rayne got up and fetched some tea. Rayne asked anyone if they would care for some, and without stopping Mysta replied with a murmur of ‘yes’. Costa obliged as well.
Finally Mysta whirled Costa around and pointed her finger at a very odd shape that looked like a winding river. To the right and the left were two shaded dots.
“An Esi contains a major symbol, the crescent like shape,” she moved her finger over the shape, “and numerous letters, words or symbols around the dominant symbol,” she moved her finger clockwise to show the examples of the smaller symbols. “These letters can be of any language spoken in Faerma to hide the meaning. Around your Esi are gnomish and a language that I’m not familiar with.” She said
“What do these words say then?” Costa asked.
“I on the other hand cannot read this kind of gnomish. It is a rare form or their language. It is a crude style that isn’t used much.
         “You see this is where it gets puzzling, even for old Mysta. Each symbol is a word in the language. The symbols describe you as a person and what attributes you acquire. I don’t know what these attributes are important for but they are significant.”

         “I have to find my out what my skills and attributes are, I’m assuming they’ll be key to whatever I have to face in the end.” Costa said astonishingly.
         “You must find out who you are, you must discover your strengths and powers Costa.” She said knowledgably.
         “Where should start my journey Mysta?” Costa asked politely.
         “I suggest traveling to Döma. It is the province ruled by the gnomes, they are wise and they may know about your past. They are indeed very skilled in the art of magic, they’ll know what you are to become perhaps,” she looked sternly at him and then she got Rayne’s attention. “Rayne may I advise your assistance for young Costa. You of all people have giving him hospitality and you are the only one who he can trust at the moment.”
         “I fear that my presence may put him in danger,” he said, “the king’s army maybe still looking for -.”
         She interrupted his statement. “Oh come now Rayne! Do you honestly believe that they can recognize you now with your rugged appearance?” she shot at him.
         He looked bewildered that she took such a tone. She merely smirked at his astonishment.
         “Get out of this recluse state and help this boy discover his destiny. You may get your chance to avenge your family’s killings.”
         He pondered upon this testimony from Mysta for a few minutes. He ran his fingers through his beard. Costa caught eye of a side he never saw in Rayne before. His eyes seemed to burn upon thinking of this.
         Finally he shot up out of his seat and said, “I will do it! I cannot hide in the shadows and have the King gloat with glory after killing my wife and son.”
         The two grinned with pleasure. Mysta got up and put a hand on his shoulder and nodded slightly.
         “Right,” she said. “You must get to Döma, you may well unravel many significant details about you Costa.”
         “But how will we get there?” asked Costa because he had never traveled to such a place, from what he could remember.
         “I’ve been there once or twice,” said Rayne proudly. “We will ride close to the coast line, no soldier will be able to spot us. There aren’t many civilizations along the northwestern coast, too many rocks to destroy a trade ship.”
         “Rayne, we cannot travel with one horse we’ll need more room for supplies. Should we ride to Clamorr?”
         Rayne took a deep breath. He started to fiddle with a tiny instrument on the table. It looked to be an orb of sorts, but it changed color whenever he moved it around.          
         “No,” he said apprehensively. “We must head to Nordev. I know a few merchants there. They will sell us goods for cheap.”
         “Are you sure Rayne?” Costa asked with concern.
         “Yes, I must face my memories and no longer be a coward.”
         Rayne went into another room so that Mysta could give him needed supplies.
         Costa sat still on the chair and reflected on what had just been set in place for him. I would never have guess that this would ever happen to me. I’m about to face a blind journey; I cannot wait to see what is in store for my future he thought. Costa then got out of his seat and followed the two into the other room.
         This room was darker and had even more treasures that Costa would never of expected. Strange framed golden swords with engravings stretching across the entire blade. There was a sparkling green orb that seemed to move once Mysta walked by it. She was reaching for a tray of assorted objects and grabbed a black band.
         She went over to Costa, grabbed his arm and thrust it upon his wrist.
“Here is a little gift from me. This is an admonitio, Costa. It burns red when danger is nearby.”          
“But how will it know if I’m in complete danger? How does it know what is what is dangerous?” asked Costa.
“It feeds off of your mind to figure out what threatens you the most,” said Mysta knowledgably, “there is also more to that than just a forewarning bracelet.”
“‘Tis a wise gift,” said Rayne softly, “thank you very much.”
“Yes thank you.” Piped Costa, but still thinking of the last thing she said.
“Ah— yes— your welcome, but I have a one other gift. It is for you Rayne.”
She reached around the room trying to find this mysterious gift. She climbed over piles of books and instruments. She finally unsheathed a short green sword. It wasn’t like the other golden swords she had collected and framed around the room. It was glimmering green with a white hilt, and the pommel looked to be a bird’s talon.
“This is an Eagle Cutlass. It is a very rare sword, I have read it’s past and it has served well It has done well against opposition and vengeance,” Rayne shot her a triumphant look, “I thought it may serve you well on your quest, Rayne.”
He simply smiled out of gratitude, put the sword in its scabbard and nodded at Mysta.
“May these gifts help you on your journey. Good luck, and if you ever need me, you know where to find me. I’ll always be grateful to let you in.”
The two got their things and opened the door and turned back to thank her again.
Don’t stand there you are giving a chance for pigaquettes to get into my house, get a move on!” She shouted at them.
Without a word the merely smirked and closed the door to begin their travels.

Chapter 4: To Nordev

         The ride to Nordev was set to be a days worth of traveling. Costa wouldn’t have to endure much more of riding altogether on one horse with Rayne and the other supplies.          
         He started to speculate what other wonders were in Faerma. He wanted to engulf himself with all sorts of knowledge; he wanted to learn.
         It would be great to learn magic thought Costa or maybe even swordsmanship. He thought to ask Rayne if he knew of anything on the two subjects.
         “Well Costa, I do not know much of magic. I’ve only encountered one or two magicians in my lifetime. They try to keep their knowledge of magic to themselves.” He said
         “Do you know how one uses magic or what one must do to enforce it’s actions?” asked Costa
         “A wizard once told me that you must mean a spell. ‘Use your emotions to direct the spells nature’ he said. Still I haven’t the foggiest on where to begin with magic or how to manipulate it.” He said
         “Maybe I can learn it,” said Costa. “If I do I could teach you perhaps.”
         “That might be nice, but I do not think I’m made for using magic.” Rayne admitted.
The day suddenly turned to dusk and the sun was setting so they got of the horse to rest for the night. Costa motioned his head towards the sky. It was mixed with purples and red streaks, and every once in a while there were dabs of pink and orange. It was almost like a mosaic painting upon a high wall for everyone to marvel at. Costa never realized how beautiful the sky could be sometimes. Rayne on the other hand was telling Costa of some amazing sunsets he had encountered; ones with a greenish bluish tint amid yellow orange streaks.
         Costa then had a vision.

A woman with strawberry blonde hair, she was smiling. She looked at Costa and began to speak.
But no words came from her mouth they merely moved up and down.
She picked Costa up and twirled him around. Costa could feel himself grinning— he was really enjoying this. This must be his favorite thing in the world he thought. Nothing could make spinning him around in circles happier.
She placed him down in his chair. He simply closed his eyes and found himself in a different area. The woman was on her knees and was in tears. She grabbed Costa and squeezed him tightly. She kissed him on the cheek ever so softly— Costa felt the need to cry but couldn’t understand why or what he was crying for so he embraced his mother—


Costa’s thought was interrupted by Rayne’s solid voice.
“Costa? Costa, you’ve been looking pallid for several minutes now. Is everything alright?” he asked.
“What?” he was caught out of his trance. “ What, sorry I started to have a vision of sorts.”
“A vision? Something from your memories?” inquired Rayne.
“I believe so. There was a woman and she was spinning me around. Then I closed my eyes and she was crying,” Costa up to the sky and then eyed it curiously. “What if that woman was my mother? I’m almost certain that she is my mother— she kissed me on the cheek and held me.” he said pensively
“It seems as though you are regaining some more of your past again. She must either be your mother if not someone very significant to you.”
Costa heart was racing. Maybe I can find her, maybe she’ll know the answers to my past he thought.
But he put the thought in the back of his mind and started to gather firewood so dinner could be prepared. He went into the forest and fetched while Rayne piled the woods symmetrically and pulled out his flint and steel. Within a few minutes and small fire had erupted under a small cauldron filled with a stew that Rayne had received from Mysta.
The two the stew and unraveled the blankets from the satchel and covered up for the night. But before the could get to sleep Rayne turned over to Costa and told him that they’d be in Nordev by mid-afternoon, that it was only a few miles away. Costa grinned and was anxious to get a new horse and new supplies for they were running short and he was in dire need of comfort. Rayne’s horse wasn’t very comfortable for the two of them.
He started to think on the horse and what his horse may look like, and before he knew it he had fallen fast asleep.

The next morning was much more frigid. A cold breeze nipped Costa on the nose and he rustled underneath his blankets. He cocked one of eyes open to meet the early morning chill. The sky wasn’t as pretty as it was the following night. It was a deep gray that stretched far over the horizon. It definitely seemed, as a storm was to approach later on in the day.
         Costa got to feet slowly and rolled his neck and yawned loudly. He then put his arms out straight and stretched; the ground wasn’t very pleasant to sleep on. Hopefully when they arrived Nordev they could sleep on a nice warm bed.
         Rayne finally came into view, holding two fruits.
“Here,” he wiped the orange on his shirt. “Is our breakfast, not much but it’ll hold us until we reach town.” He tossed the orange to Costa, which he caught. Rayne looked as if he had gotten a bit more restful sleep than Costa did.
         “Shall we get a heads start and get to Nordev before any storm arrives?” asked Rayne. Costa simply nodded.
         They packed their things into the green satchels and made sure the fire was out. Costa kicked dirt into it while Rayne poured a tiny bit of water from his water skin. They then saddled Faunda and started off to Nordev.
         The gray skies seemed to be getting darker and darker as the journeyed to the town. The air was humid and Costa could have sworn he felt a few drops of rain here and there. Rayne then told Faunda to pick up the pace so they could beat a possible rainstorm.
         “Our supplies most likely will get ruined and I don’t want to lose a day out here in a rainstorm!” He exclaimed. “So we must make haste to Nordev. Ride Faunda! Ride!” he shouted to the horse.
         Costa braced himself as the horse sped up. She was graceful when she ran and was strong as a lion. Her black mane whipped around while dancing on Rayne’s face. Then all of a sudden Costa felt an unexpected wetness racing down his head and face. It had started to pour. He was now getting worried if they’d make it to Nordev before the storm picks up.
         They were riding for a few more minutes in the rain when Rayne shouted.
         “Hah! Look, over in the distance, Nordev!”
Costa tilted his head to the side and saw a black ridge over the horizon. It was most certainly a town; he could see the houses and the lights. His heart raced, they had finally made it. The town started to draw closer, Costa could see the people running into their homes. The storm had just hit here.
“Rayne where are we to stay, is there inn around?” asked Costa worriedly.
“Mysta told me of a place. She said to find a place called the Silver Coast Inn. It’s a brown brick building evidently. Do you see it?” asked Rayne.
Costa strained his eyes from building to building. Many brown brick and grey stone buildings. This town had houses he had never seen before. The architecture was absolutely perfect. The brick buildings were strong and straight with raw wood roofs. The grey stone buildings were much smaller and looked like norm for house models in Nordev.
Finally Costa came across a building that was tall and rustic looking. The roof was nostalgic and the brick was chipping. Though it still seemed to stand strong. There was a white sign on the outside of the door with silver letters reading, Silver Coast Inn. Costa reported this to Rayne and the two rode to the destination.
They got off Faunda and tied her under the structured roof for horses. The two of them entered the inn. The walls were no example of the outside look of the building. They were shining with an umber lacquer, though the walls were bare with nothing but a few pieces of art hither and thither. Then there was an older man, which had been sitting there the whole time, who got off of his chair and pulled his pipe from his mouth.
“Can I help you fine gentlemen?” inquired the old man.
“Yes,” asked Rayne whose eyes were still searching the place. “We’d like to know if we could stay here for a night?”
“Why of course you can. We haven’t had many visitors in months, there are plenty of rooms available.” Said the man, whose mood seemed to change very dramatically, as if he were given a gift.
“Right well that’s in order. Could we go up now?” Rayne asked.
“Of course,” said the man happily. “Right this way gentlemen, it’s just the two of you I presume?”
Rayne nodded and he strode them to their room. The corridors were lit with candles that barely gave enough to see one’s feet in front of them.
They reached a door with the Roman numeral eight upon it. The two entered the small room containing two small feather beds, a mahogany chest and a feeble looking table.
“If you need anything sirs, just ask or find myself, I live upstairs so I am always around.” He gave a heartily smile, turned and left.
Costa roamed the room and engulfed the surroundings. It definitely was better than sleeping outside. He could finally rest from the travels, but he knew that there was so much more ahead of them.
© Copyright 2007 Calvin (calvicad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313173-Fates-Arms-First-Four-Chapters