*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313911-Kroootz-197-wants-to-be-a-writer
by Breeze
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1313911
What kind of a writer does an alien make?
It was the first birthday celebration of writing.com in Mars. After looking for aliens for hundreds of years, human finally found out that aliens were nowhere far but living under the rocky mountaneous caves of Mars. Hence the Marsians were invited to the community of writers but too little of them took the chance of it.
Kroootz 197 was one of them being a complete newbie, trying to find his way around, reaching to people.
He looked at the screen up in the air carefully. A notification had come out of nowhere. With his slender purple fingers, he touched the message. A metallic female voice echoed in the room.
“Dear User, As a feedback on your item #1278060055489 another reader wants to make a review. Would you like to accept it now or would you postpone it to a more suitable time?”
“I’ll accept it now, thanks” he said timidly. This was the first time his item was being reviewed.
A bright flash of light appeared in the corner of the room. A middle aged woman, June, was standing there, with a circular glass of oxygen mask which made her head look twice as big.
“For God’s sake, they are true.” She looked at him interestedly and scared. “Oh how much mre stupid I could get not believing in them?” she laughed, and the alien jumped a few steps back.
“Don’t worry son. I won’t be any harm to you”
Kroootz 197 was staring at him and she was gazing at him back.
“Hey,” he said finally. Meanwhile he was wondering how many precious minutes he had before his parents showed up and bust him with an earthly creature unlike reccommended in every satelite notice and 3-D newspaper. Humans were not yet to be trusted to but Krootz wwas ready to take the blame for all if it were the only way to become a writer.
“I read your story dear. It was good for a newbie, especially when we think about your situation. You managed to reflect your feelings well. No don’t worry that’s good.” She added quickly when she saw his teary eyes. His eyes were scary enough normally, being completely black and dark. When it was watery, it was even worse but she couldn’t have gelt anything but have a pity on him.
“You did good, don’t worry. I was once in your shoes. My friends were making fun of me when I told them I wanted to be a writer. Of course we didn’t see the things you see now. What had you written?”
“Universal physics and laws od intra-molecular Marsian astrophysics.”
“Oh yeah, that. Don’t worry about those bullies. They will not be remembered once they graduate from highschool.”
The alien looked blankly. How could she now that there was no highschool but solely universities and higher education systems there? Even  a six year old would go to university. İt was a piece of cake....
He reached out and grabbed a glowing metal box, opened it and offered it to June. June looked horrified but out of respect thought she should take one. Her palm immediately felt warm and tingling when her fingers covered the hot, black stone. She waited for him to take one and when she saw him puttin it to his mouth, did the same.
Without chewing, the stone in his mouth disappeared but the stone kept its presence stubbornly in hers and she gave up on it when she finally believed that nothing bad would come out of it.
“Back to your work; ehem, you have the basic ability. That’s what it seems to me but you’ll need to fix your translation machine dear. Somethings are out of place. Tell your daddy to fix it.”
“Dad doesn’t know about that. I invented it”
“Oh I see” she said not knowing what else to say. “Then you can talk to me to improve your language” She didn’t want him to feel down.
June took a controller out of her pocket, pushed some buttons and numbers. Two minutes later 2000 metal coins appeared on the desk that was covered in papers and books.
“What are these?” Kroootz 197 asked, taking a few of the coins in his hands, staining them all lightly purple. But then again, the room itself had a lightly purple shade.
“These are GP’s, you use them like money.”
“Money?”
She sighed and took out a bank note ou of her other pocket. On seeing his expressionless glances, she informed him.
“To be able to take things, you pay for them with money. Everything has it’s cost. Like my sweater is 30 of these green papers.” She waved the money in front of his eyes.
“Aaah”
June went on, deciding that it was a sound of understanding.
“You can get a cup, a book or a super-duper-never-ending-inked pen and a notebook which edits your writing as you go on. That could help you a lot.”
He opened his mouth, then closed again as if trying to understand how world went on. (Well the aliens never had to worry about capitalism, did they?)
“I liked you child” she patted on his shoulder after ten minutes of normal (as normal as it can be between a human and a teenage alien) staining her fingers with purple. The shade of purple got lighter and lighter as time went by and by the time she had got up to be on her way to home, her hands were as clean as before.
“Thanks for your review June”.
This was not the last meeting of these two. She never gave up visiting him as long as she lived, talking to him, being his friend and reviewing his works, teaching him how to speak without the machine (now that was hard!). And he became her long-lost grandshild and made her life meaningful, giving her a reason to get up everyday even though she always complained that the air in the Mars made her romatisms worse.

The End.
© Copyright 2007 Breeze (breeze_13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1313911-Kroootz-197-wants-to-be-a-writer