*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314762-The-Healing-Power-of-Peas
by Rayne
Rated: 13+ · Other · LGBTQ+ · #1314762
salvation for a couple in dire need of relationship help comes in frozen form.
The Healing Power of Peas

Short Story under 1500 words By Rayne D’Wire


Steph sat on the edge of her bed, staring through the darkness at the pieces of ripped tissue that lay before her on the ground. Her head hurt from crying and continuous tears had begun to erode rough paths down her cheeks. Her soul ached and her fingers were sore from unconsciously shredding tiny pieces of the tissue she’d used to quiet her sobs.
“Why do we do this?” Steph asked quietly to an empty bedroom, the one she’d shared with Lex for the past five years. After yet another fight with her girlfriend over what to have for dinner, Steph had taken cover in the bedroom. With the door shut as tight as her heart, she sat and thought about her relationship falling apart piece by piece, much like her tissue, which now resembled a dry pile of pulp.

She had no idea when Lex would return. Steph had heard the front door slam and she could only guess that Lex was as upset as she was; maybe even worse.

***

Lex had stormed off into the October night without the need of a jacket. Her boiling emotions kept her warm as she walked to a nearby park to think.
“Five years.” She muttered to herself, wondering why after all that time, she and Steph were now fighting over seemingly insignificant things. With each step she took, Lex felt as thought she might as well be walking on her heart. She reached the park and sat on a swing, letting her feet hang as if to rest them from carrying the weight of her very heavy ideas.
“I do love her,” she said aloud.
But I don’t know how much more fighting I can take.
She remembered they never fought about dinner and that she used to love to cook for Steph. Anything she wanted Lex would have ready by the time she got home from work. Now Lex couldn’t remember the last time she’d made any of her lovers’ favorites as a surprise.

Lex swung slowly, now starting to feel the chill in the air. Her rage easing into a sympathetic revelation that maybe somewhere in the give-and-take of love, Lex had been forgetting how much Steph really meant to her.
“This is stupid,” she said while hoping off the swing and starting towards home.

***

“This is crazy,” Steph said, still alone in an otherwise silent room. It seemed to her that Lex always got her way, many times leaving herself disappointed and feeling alone.
“Well she won’t get her way this time,” She vowed.
I love her, but I don’t know how much more fighting I can take.
Just then, Steph heard the handle of the bedroom door move.
“Steph, unlock the door” Lex said, her voice obviously being directed through the door.
“No!”
“Please. Open the door, this isn’t going to solve anything”
“Nothing would have to be solved if you’d only care Lex!” Steph shouted, bringing on more tears.
“Steph, c’mon, please talk to me.” Lex said as she tried again in vain to open the door.
Steph rose from the bed determined to finally expose her partner to her angry feelings. She opened the door with one quick swing and Lex stepped back in surprise.
“Talk to you? No! Why should I keep trying to reach out to you when you don’t make the effort in return?”
“Steph, i…”
“It feels like you just don’t care anymore” Steph said cutting her off and moving past her into the kitchen. Steph poured herself a glass of water, hoping to relieve the heat of her stressful words.

***

Lex cautiously followed Steph into the kitchen, trying to think of something potent to say. In truth, she missed the fun she and Steph would have and she had no explanation for what had chased the spontaneity from their relationship.
“Steph, I’m sorry, and I’m going to try harder” Lex said as she swallowed her pride.
“Lex, how do we know it’s not too late? We’ve been fighting a lot” Steph looked out the kitchen window and let out an exasperated sigh.
“Let me make it up to you Steph,” Lex started while opening the freezer door and shooting quick glances inside. “Let me make you dinner”.
“Oh Lex, don’t bother, this is futile”.
Lex could hear hope escaping from her lover, along with her dismissing words.
Oh no you don’t, I miss us too baby.
Lex pulled out a bag of frozen peas in hopes that a small gesture might start a more positive atmosphere. Holding the package, she thought of how simple love really can be if she lightened up a little more and showed more appreciation, instead of just holding it in. Lex finally understood that what may have seemed like ignorance had unwillingly taken its’ toll on Steph. Determined to at least try to reverse the effects of Steph’s hurt feelings, Lex placed the bag of frozen peas on the counter and reached Steph’s bare arm to pull her lover into her arms.
“Sweetheart, I’m reall….”
“Hey!” Steph shouted in shock, the moment Lex touched her skin. She spun around and held out her arm to Lex, who still offered an embrace.
“Steph, baby, no, plea…”
“Your hands are freezing!” Steph interrupted.
Lex made a fist, holding the frozen peas had certainly made her fingers cold. Even more so, she thought, on Steph’s warm skin. She also noticed Steph’s angry expression soften.
While Lex appeared to be looking at her palms, Steph was eyeing the bag of frozen peas, now closer to her on the counter.

***

Steph finally rolled her eyes and held out one hand to pull Lex towards her, after all, she did say she’d try harder.
“Come here” Sheph said gently.
Lex moved in and wrapped her arms around Steph’s neck. Resting her head on her partner’s shoulder, she never saw Steph quietly pick up the bag of frozen peas. Lex closed her eyes as Steph’s delicate warm fingers traced her cheek and moved lower down her shoulder and around to her back. With one hand, Steph moved her fingers under Lex’s shirt, letting them glide along her skin.
“I’m going to try harder baby” Lex whispered, “I promise”
“Not before I get even…” Steph said as she swiftly lifted Lex’s shirt and with her one free hand, pressed the bag of frozen peas against her exposed back.
“Aye!” Lex jumped and stepped back from Steph, who was now sporting a vengeful expression. Lex held out her hands as a defense. Steph still possessed the bag of frozen ammunition and was smiling just slightly. The two locked eyes in a playful threat that neither had expressed for a long time.

***

“You wouldn’t…” Lex said while trying to hide her grin.
“Would you bet your confidence on that sweetheart?” Steph said. Her tone was playful as she inched closer to her weary girlfriend, getting ready to pounce and deliver more cold torture. Above the silence, one could almost hear two racing heartbeats. A duel between the two women exemplified a playful offense and a shy defense. Lex took a step back, then lunged at Steph, hoping to nab the frozen incentive out of her hand.
Steph dodged the advance, having predicted her partners’ move. Steph let out a laugh while Lex turned to try again. This time Lex managed to grab Steph’s waist and pull her close.
“You’re having fun aren’t you?” Lex whispered, reaching for the bag of frozen peas.
“It’s been a while.” Steph said holding the peas out of Lex’s reach. With some a quick idea and some minor improvisation, Lex took Steph by the waist and lifted her off her feet.
“You’re right, it has been a while since we’ve had fun” Lex admitted, while holding Steph over her shoulder and making her way towards their bedroom.
“Put me down!” Steph pleaded without bitterness in her voice.
“Then give me the Frozen peas”
“You want ‘em, here you go” Steph said while pressing the frozen bag onto the back of Lex’s neck.
“Hey!” Lex shouted, stunned by the cold. She deposited Steph on the bed and took the frozen ammo from no-longer threatening challenger. Lex leaned in to kiss her lover. Steph returned the kiss, suddenly feeling warm all over. She didn’t even remember the last time a play-fight evolved into anything more. She didn’t remember the last time they play-fought at all.
“Wait a minute” Lex started, “what’s this?”
Steph sat up and looked over the edge of the bed at a small pile of shredded tissue which Lex had unknowingly stepped on.
“Oh, that’s nothing and it’s over anyway, I’ll clean it up later. Right now Lex, kiss me again”. The two started what would become a more spontaneous facet of their relationship. Now, frozen peas seem to make it on the grocery list-almost every week.












© Copyright 2007 Rayne (rayne_23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314762-The-Healing-Power-of-Peas