*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1316226-The-War-Begins13-months-late
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1316226
The HKCEE: A war to eliminate the weak. I step into the war... 13 months late.
I am an average student you see... I go through the same thing most others my age go through in Hong Kong school life.

In Hong Kong language, I'm a Form. 5 student. This year(or term) is crucial for me and about 100000 others because next April we will face an important trial: The HKCEE.

For those who don't live in Hong Kong and therefore have no knowledge of the education system here, let me explain a bit about the HKCEE.


The HKCEE (Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination) is an examination taken a student at the end of his or her 5-year secondary education.

This year (2007), about 100000 candidates entered for the examination with 80% school candidates and the other 20% private candidates (those who don't go to school and self study for the exam).

The HKCEE is conducted in the months April and May, with the results released in the second week of August. Most school candidates take about 7-8 subjects (The maximum allowed is 10)in the HKCEE.

Apart from the Language-related subjects, all subjects can be taken in either Chinese or English. The same standards are applied in marking and grading in both languages, the language medium is not recorded on the result

notices or certificates, meaning a candidate who takes the subject "Physics" in Chinese and a candidate taking the same subject in English will be judged in the same chart despite the different language medium.

The language medium the candidate used to take the exam will not be recorded on the result notices and the exam certificates.

Except for the subjects of "Chinese Language", "English Language" and "French", the results of all other subjects of the HKCEE are expressed in terms of six grades "A" to "F", of which grade "A" is the highest and "F" is the lowest.

Results below grade "F" are designated as "UNCL" (unclassified).

The grades "C" or above in most of the HKCEE subjects are recognized as equivalent to an "O-level pass" (grade C or better) in an overseas GCE examination and grade "E" is widely accepted in Hong Kong as a basic level of achievement for employment purposes.

Starting from 2007 (in the HKCEE that passed recently), the results of "Chinese Language" and "English Language" will be recorded using levels, of which "Level 5" is the highest and "Level 1" is the lowest.

Performance below "Level 1" will be designated as "UNCL" (unclassified). "Level 5" candidates with the best performance will have their results indicated by the symbol "*".

Candidates rely on their results in the HKCEE to apply for Form. 6, jobs or courses that act as a substitute for Form. 6 as a road to University.

This is the way the results are counted in general. In normal subjects an "A" is counted as 5 points with an "E" counted as 1 point. "F" and "UNCL" are counted as 0 points.

In subjects that use the "Level" system, "Level 5*" is counted as 5 points while "Level 2" is counted as 1 mark, "Level 1" and "UNCL" are counted as 0 points.

The total points are counted from the highest points gained from 6 subjects of the candidate.

The minimum requirement for Form. 6 in general is 14 points. In this year's exam about 30% of the school candidates met the 14 point cut-line, thats about 24000. To tell you the truth, there aren't enough Form. 6 seats for all those who pass the cut-line. So... you should have an idea of what the HKCEE means by now.

Back to me, I just recently started revising for my HKCEE. The subjects I plan to take are the 3 "must take" subjects: "Chinese Language", "English Language", "Mathematics" and 4 "Science" subjects: "Physics",

"Biology", "Chemistry" and "Additional Mathematics".

To meet the minimum requirements for Form. 6, I need 2 "C"s and 4 "D"s.

Since the Language subjects are different, I'll simplify it to "Level 5*" as an "A" and Level 2" as an "E" etc...

My "English Language" is above average in my school, so I'm counting on a "C" or hopefully a "B".

Unfortunately my "Chinese Language" is below average in my school so I expect a "E" or "D" in this subject.

I need to improve my score to keep up. My Maths are average, but I think I could manage a "D" or a "C" if I work REALLY hard.

So that's about 6 points, still 8 points to go.

Honestly, I suck at "Chemistry" and "Additional Maths" and never really tried at "Biology" and "Physics".

So That's a max of 5 points right now. I REALLY have to tidy up my act and work my ass off to catch up in points.

Many, if not MOST candidates start preparing in Form. 4 and still 70% doesn't reach the cut-line. I'm already 13 months late in preparing, so I should be feeling scared right?

...The problem is I am a rather passive and lofty person so... you get the idea.

But even if I'm a lazy ass, it's time to consider my future!!

Form. 5 students finish school early so they have more time to prepare for the HKCEE, before that they have some mock exams to check their status too. So after you go through (I dare not say learn) everything with your teachers, you spend the rest of your time on your own.

One of the most useful resources for preparing for the HKCEE are the Past HKCEE Examination Papers (commonly known as and referred to as "Past Papers" by students).

These, as the name states are the exam papers of past HKCEE examinations. Students ofter do these papers over and over again to get used to the exam style and to test their knowledge.

They can be bought or downloaded from the Internet if you know where to look (Unfortunately I don't so my poor pockets[I don't even have a wallet.] deflate on a regular basis).

Another useful resource is the remedial course services provided by companies. You know, the ones that stick the results of the achievements of their students on the sides of buses and on the window of the 7-11 convenience store across the street.

They work, but are expensive.

Usually the applicants watch videos of people explaining stuff in a dark room and get a set of notes afterwards. That's about it. But you can catch a course with a real person teaching... for a price.

Other than the above you can buy some exercises from book shops. Multiple choice questions (M.C. for short) are extremely helpful for checking your understanding.

I have obtained some Past Papers and some exercises but have yet to apply for a course (due to laziness).

I hereby announce myself stepping into the preparation stage of the war (HKCEE). May the best survive and to the ones that don't, Good Luck.
© Copyright 2007 Ian Choi (ianchoi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1316226-The-War-Begins13-months-late