*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1316496-I-Heart-Jemaine--Bret
Rated: E · Article · Entertainment · #1316496
The lovable Flight of the Conchords...
I Heart Jemaine & Bret

“There’s just a little bit of dust in my eye.
That’s from the path that you made when you said your goodbye.
I’m not weeping because you won’t be here to hold my hand.
For your information there’s an inflammation in my tear gland.
I’m not upset because you left me this way.
My eyes are just a little sweaty today.”

How could you not laugh at these lyrics? How could you not love them especially when they're sung in a melodramatic ballad called "I'm Not Cryin," complete with a boy band like video? Jemaine Clements and Bret McKenzie are the New Zealanders whom have won a very special place in my heart. Claiming to be “New Zealand's 4th most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo,” the two actors turned comedic musicians have been touring the world with their hilarious songs with unexpected lyrics for some time now.

So when they landed a deal with HBO for an original series, it was very easy to revolve the plot around these songs. Jemaine and Bret play a monotone version of themselves; a two-man band that is trying to make it big in New York City. Jemaine stars as a cocky so called Ladies Man when it is actually a naïve Bret who gets the women. Along with Rhys Darby as their manager, Murray Hewitt, Arj Barker as their pawn shop owning friend, Dave, and last but not least Kristen Schaal as their obsessive and only fan, Mel, they set up episodes that are shockingly funny.

The songs they sing in each episode reveal their true feelings that aren’t necessarily portrayed by their dialogue. Jemaine definitely had me with the first note of “Beautiful Girl,” a parody of Prince’s “Most Beautiful Girl in the World.” I wish someone would get in a cab with me and buy me a kabob. I would also find it to be a compliment if anyone were to say I'm so hot that I'm like a curry. I like the way Bret thinks about women. The songs start as well as end abruptly forcing the viewers to ask themselves… what just happened? Advantages Flight of the Conchords has with this show are the great visuals that correlate to the lyrics. Of course, they were in space for “Bowie’s in Space.”

As a show that follows Entourage, HBO viewers have either claimed it as a new favorite or just a show to watch as they talk about Entourage. Perhaps it’s because people have a different perspective on what a sense of humor is. However, as an avid fan, I recommend Flight of the Conchords for fresh pick-you-up kind of comedy.

For those of you who may be even more of a fan than Mel, their DVD of the first season comes out in November. It is currently only $20.99 on Amazon.com. Not a bad price for fantastic songs performed by two ridiculously good looking funny guys.
© Copyright 2007 wild tonic (wildtonic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1316496-I-Heart-Jemaine--Bret