*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317855-Zarths-Esacpe-Part-1
by karl
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1317855
Zarth the thief is being hunted, but why?, and by what?, will he escape?


Zarth felt immense pain as the arrow head embedded itself just under his collar bone, next to his left shoulder blade. He screamed out in pain and painfully wrenched out the arrow with his right hand before casting it aside. Immediately his body started to heal the wound, repairing the torn muscle and closing the skin, leaving no mark. Zarth stumbled further down the slope and moved in behind a huge boulder where it had become wedged between two pine trees. Arrows flew past him, as he sheltered behind the hard stone, hitting into trees and the soft earth of the valley floor.

Zarth reached into his cloak and grabbed hold of a small bright blue stone that was dangling from a thin silver chain. He shivered as he felt the power quickly powering through his body, giving energy to his aching limbs. He knew that he shouldn’t be using the stone, the cost would be deadly. The Dargulth will immediately pick up the power waves that emit from the stone as it is being used and would be upon him before he knows what happened. Zarth already knew how to create a ward shield around him that would stop most magical creatures from seeing him. The thing was, the shield only worked on magical creatures and beings, if they were to send any thing that was not magical he would have no means to hide, but that was a worry for another time.

Letting go off the stone, Zarth stepped back from the boulder and held out his hands, his eyes closed in concentration. He summoned the power and used it to levitate up the huge boulder and walking behind he made his way to the hunters who were still continuing to pepper him with arrows. The four hunters who did not know Zarths intentions, stood foolishly together as the boulder was suddenly was hurled at them, killing three outright and knocking the fourth against a tree, smashing his back. The boulder itself continued to fly through the air smashing through several small trees before coming to a stop after crashing into a huge oak. Zarth stood back and looked in shock at the devastation he had caused in front of him. The forest was silent, the birds had flown away from the loud noise' leaving the clearing deathly quiet. Now filled with adrenaline he went up to the bodies of the hunters and checked to see if any were still alive, as he came up to the fourth hunter with the broken spine he saw that that the man was still breathing. Using the stones power once more he lifted the hunter into the air in front of him.

Zarth was about to interrogate the hunter when the screaming of the Dargulth echoed down the valley, his whole body shivered and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end, his adrenaline disappearing. He lost concentration and the hunter feel to the ground head first and landed with a crack as his neck broke. Zarth panicked, his ward shield has failed! Turning around he sprinted into the shadows of the trees to make his escape. I will never let them get the stone he thought.
© Copyright 2007 karl (kingkarl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317855-Zarths-Esacpe-Part-1