*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317863-The-Letter
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1317863
Heartbreak in the waves...
Word Count: 1,000               

    It was still early; too early to be up during vacation anyway. Todd had taken me to a private beach house his parents own. It was a magnificent sight to wake up to. There were large windows that gave you an incredible view of the waves and downstairs the French doors opened to a patio that led you to the sandy beach. I glanced over at Todd, who was still peacefully sleeping and couldn’t help but think of how lucky I was to have him.

    We had met in front of City Hall after I had paid numerous parking tickets and him finishing up the toughest case he’s had all month. I had dropped my wallet causing all my change to fall, making a racket on the tiled floor. After feeling embarrassed already, I forced myself to pick up at least all the quarters and dimes. Suddenly, there was another hand picking up the coins. I looked up and saw him. He was wearing a suit but his tie had been loosened. His hair was a little disheveled like he had been playing with it all day. Then he did the most wonderful thing he could have done in that exact moment. He smiled. I managed to get a few words out. “Oh, thanks. It just isn’t my day today.”

    “Mine, either,” he replied as he handed me a handful of change including some pennies.
   
    “I suppose, we all have these days,” I said with a nervous laugh. After we had finished picking up all the coins from the floor, I thanked him again turning right after exiting the doors with him turning left. I felt the fool being so clumsy like that in front of such a handsome man. However, I hadn’t even walked 3 feet away when I heard him cry, “Wait!”

    “What? Did I drop more change or something?” He laughed. It was an adorable laugh.

    “No. I just realized we never exchanged names.”
         
    “Oh, I’m Bridgette.”
         
    “Todd.”
         
    “Well, very nice to meet you Todd.”
         
    That’s how it began. I then accepted his offer to go get a cup of coffee and shortly after, we started dating. It’s been a year now since that one clumsy day of mine. I’m happy to admit that this was the most stable relationship I have been in. He was the most sincere guy I had ever dated. My friends and family loved him and I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else for the rest of my life. Not to mention that his family was well off. Although, this wasn’t important or necessary, it certainly was a bonus to the relationship. I had enjoyed superfluities here and there with him, such as this vacation at the beach house.
                 
    After fixing myself a strong cup of coffee, I began walking onto the beach and found myself where the ocean hugged the shore causing my pajama pants to get a bit soaked. I rolled up my pants and began walking along the waves as I took a look at all the other beach houses next to the one that Todd’s parents had. I wondered if Todd had woken up by now, but I didn’t even know what time it was. I had left my watch on the dresser. Perhaps it was still a little too early to be up.
                 
    Still looking at the houses at the top of the beach and not paying attention to where I was walking, my foot hit something hard and my large toe throbbed immensely with pain. I looked down and saw something bigger than I had expected to see lying around on a beach.
             
    It was a very old, wet, and brown suitcase. I wondered why someone would leave a suitcase on the beach. As I ran my hands along the top, I discovered that it was very soaked and assumed that it had been floating around in the ocean for some time. How far or how deep into the vast waters, I will never know. I managed to open the suitcase and inside I found a plethora of items.
             
    The first item was a teddy bear holding a heart. The second item was a Cubs baseball hat. The third item was the most shocking of all. It was a little velvet box. I had guessed it was empty, but something told me to open it. I gasped. It was a stunning diamond ring. I noticed there were also photographs in the suitcase, including a picture of a woman and man both wearing Cubs baseball hats. However, I could not drop the box that held the precious treasure I had found.
           
    Who would pack away such items together in a suitcase and how did they get lost? Did the person mean to pack this all away for safe keeping or was it a container of heartbreaking memories? Then I noticed something else that was strange. Among the scattered photographs, there were bits of paper. I managed to gather all the pieces together but putting it together was a problem. The breeze was not being cooperative and I had to reposition myself several times so I could put what I imagined to be a letter back together.
           
    It was hard to make out anything between all the tears and water spots, but I managed to read the following: I’m sorry. That’s all I can say. I love you, I do. But I also love her and the love for her has grown much stronger than I expected it to be. I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness, but I know you deserved to know the truth.
           
    I quickly put everything back into the suitcase, closed it and ran away from it all as quickly as I could. Whoever had put together that suitcase must have done it right after reading that unbearable letter. I ran upstairs to where Todd was sleeping. His eyes were still closed. I prayed that he would never write such a letter to me.
© Copyright 2007 wild tonic (wildtonic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317863-The-Letter