*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318232-The-Maternal-Dream
Rated: E · Poetry · Family · #1318232
A poem written in story form about a dream that saved my son.
The Maternal Dream

         A dream can be good or a dream can be bad.  I once had one that was rather sad.  I was walking a long the side of a strange street.  It was covered in sleet.  I was scared because it was dark.  Every step I took seemed to cause a dog to bark.
         I had been walking for what seemed like hours.  Then I saw something lying in some flowers.  It was my son and he was dead.  I wanted to run; it made me sit up in bed.
         I had woken in time to hear some weird breathing.  My son was having an attack, one we couldn’t treat with anything.  My dream had awoken me in time to get him help.  If it hadn’t, everyone in the world would have heard my yelp.
It was an asthma attack he had.  It was very, very bad.  It was his first.  But it wasn’t his last nor worst.  I have this same dream with every attack.  It seems to be my “maternal instinct” giving me a smack.  As soon as it starts I wake.  Even if I can’t hear anything I give him his medicine to take.
© Copyright 2007 Katiedid (katdco at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318232-The-Maternal-Dream