*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318446-Scatter-Brain
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Career · #1318446
Dan can't seem to remember most things
“Well, you know you made the big time when the boss asks you to her office.”

“How do you know you made it to the big time? How do you know you’re not in trouble?”

“Kelly, please, it’s me Dan! Dan the Man! Dan the man who never gets in trouble, or tells anyone about our little secret…”

“Dan! If you even mention that out loud I will pour this mug of hot coffee all over your head and it will hurt!”

“Ok, ok I surrender! At ease soldier, put your weapon away!”

“You are so lucky that Debbie isn’t here. That bitch would have pounced all over that little juicy bit of information. You should really watch what you say around the office Dan. You never know who could be listening.”

“Who in their right mind would listen to what I say? I’m boring! All I ever talk about is office gossip that everyone already knows anyway. Oh, speaking of which: did you hear about Sandy and Bill from shipping?”

“Dan! Shut your mouth!”

“What is wrong with you Kel? You used to love rolling your eyes at me and waving it in my face that you already knew this shit. What is your problem today?”

“Dan, will you shut up and listen to me for two seconds?”

“Fine! Speak.”

“Ugh! Look, everyone in the office knows that you have that meeting today with Allison and your right; you don’t get in trouble and you don’t gossip except when everyone else already knows.”

“So?”

“So, here is the problem: Mike and Kristy were hired before you, they have seniority. The fact that you are getting a meeting with Allison before they even get to set foot in her office to bring her coffee is huge! I’m only telling you this because I’m your friend and I care about you. Watch your back! Watch what you say and what you do.”

“Ok, Kel, I love you, you know that, but right now you are stating to sound like a little paranoid. I mean come on! What could possibly happen? Why are you looking around like that?”

“Making sure no one is around so I can tell you what happened to Sam.”

“Sam? Who is Sam?”

“Sam was the guy that you replaced; he got a meeting with Allison before Mike and Kristy, too.”

“Man, how long have Mike and Kristy been here?”

“A year and a half, I’ve been here for three.”

“Then why are you not all pissed at me for getting a meeting with Allison?”

“Dan, it’s me, Kelly! If you forgot about my secret already I’ll just have to go and find another friend…”

“Oh, wait, wait! I remember. I just forgot who I was talking to for a minute.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome. Oh no! My meeting with Allison is in 3 minutes! By Kel, I promise to watch myself.”

“Men! You tell them you are worth over $2 million dollars and they forget 5 minutes later.”
© Copyright 2007 Jade Nite (jadenite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318446-Scatter-Brain