*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319121-BackpacksNot-As-Evil-As-One-Might-Think
Rated: E · Other · Young Adult · #1319121
Article written for the Easton Journal recently published 9/14/07
In the last edition of the Easton Journal an article was written discussing the evils of students wearing a backpack throughout the school year. In reality, backpacks are necessary and steps can be taken to prevent physical damage. The most obvious danger is scoliosis, a curvature of the spine, which is a common condition affecting teenagers throughout the country and limited use of backpacks is often said to be a possible solution to spine problems. The main concern is the weight of the backpacks due to books and everyday school supplies. However, backpacks are a beneficial tool and it is the user’s responsibility to judge how much weight can be safely carried by students.

At my high school (Boston College High School) backpacks are not permitted to be carried throughout the day and the reasoning behind this decision was that some students, which mostly consisted of freshman, were simply over-packing their backpacks. The real solution was not to ban backpacks altogether, but to allow students to determine other means of handling the weight of their supplies. Such methods as holding the pack from the handle on top, which countless models have as a way to make it easier to carry, managing what books are completely necessary to bring home, and eliminating irrelevant items. Of the three listed, managing what books are needed is the most helpful as many students at my high school feel the need to bring all of their books home when it would be easier to take a notebook compared to a textbook. Granted, I am not saying not to bring textbooks home, but simply that textbooks can be a substantional additional weight as class notes are easier to read and carry. Backpacks are necessary for high school students, but it is all about common sense in what is truly needed and what you as an individual can support.

Now, younger students in middle school or elementary school can not determine what books should be brought home or how much that their bodies would be able to hold. The majority of the responsibly weighs more heavily on the school system itself.A school system should not overload students with work that involves bringing textbooks to and from home. When I was in middle school and Elementary School, the work consisted of handouts and light workbooks. I rarely ever needed a textbook unless it was Math or Science, but only because I am not that great of a student in either of those classes. The main problem with middle school in general is that it boosts about preparing students for high school, but in reality burdening students with textbooks and exams is not the correct way to prepare a twelve or thirteen year old for future life experiences. Maybe it would be best if students were allowed to have a little down time at home and not be faced with several hours of homework. However the school is not completely to blame for recent increases in spine problems due to heavy backpacks, but in fact parents can also limit the amount their children need to carry by monitoring what they bring home, help carry extra books if the parent notices that the bag is filled, and perhaps buy copies of the textbooks to be kept at home.
Backpacks are not evil as countless critics portray them to be, but whether it comes down to high school students or a young student, everyone must in part realize the dangers and attempt to limit the negative affects of carrying excess weight. In addition, we must look at the amount of homework which is assigned to students afterschool and on vacations. Oh well, now I need to finish my summer reading!
© Copyright 2007 Jacob Harper (sasquatch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319121-BackpacksNot-As-Evil-As-One-Might-Think