*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319911-My-fairwell-to-my-great-grandmother
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1319911
My speech at my great-grandmothers memorial
Some say it is better to loved and lost then to of loved at all,but my Great-grandmother (Mimi) took that to a whole new level,by giving so much of her self to us and teaching us all it is better to give love to others then to recieve.

My earliest memories of Mimi would probably begin in the time we lived in Tampa, I can’t remember the year but the moments stand very clear in my mind, I can’t recall what I had done but Mimi was asking me if I did something and I lied about doing it she sent me to my room and I cried for hours not for the fact that I had lied and got caught but that I had lied to the one who showed me love and care when no one else could or was unable. Tampa was a time that I’ll never understand, being so young, but the memories stand clear in my mind as one of her helping my mother out. Mimi helped me learn how to ride a bike back then (which I used to run away on many occasions, with her and my mom always seem to follow me just a short distant behind and when I got tired they’d pick me up put the bike in the trunk and id prepare for my next great escape)

When Cissy and I came to live with Mimi in Kansas little did I know the sacrifice she was making for 2 kids with such a troubled past. Mimi came to Kansas to care for her mother ,and brother if the truth be known and what a spit fire Grandma was the two of them arguing  and bucking for position of who could be the most stubborn or fool the other, like the knife in the key hole so mimi couldn’t come into her half of the house tell grandma deemed it so or the both of them trying to out dress the other for church on Sunday, once I overheard the two arguing about why in the world she would take two little kids she stated because they are mine, Mimi saw all of us as her own children not just extensions or grandchildren she saw us as her very own,  as with Brandilyn she always called her “my baby” and even in the last days  she always recognized  Brandilyn saying that’s my baby. Yes we were all her sweet baby at one time or another.

1976 was the year we came to live with her she was 71 years old she should of been well into retirement and enjoying life at the single senior swing dance shindig but not our Mimi she took the challenge head on at 71, she had raised 2 generations and was ready for the challenge of the third I mean most parents go thru 1 or 2 teenagers she must have been a glutton for punishment, she raised her children Robert, Louise, and Dick.. even after that I’m sure God would of said,” good job my loving child now rest”, but no not our Mimi, Louise took ill and mimi took Linda in now my memories are vague of my mother but I hear tell she was a handful and I can imagine a blond teenage girl in the early 60s in California wasn’t what she had planned for the 40 something of life but she did the best she could for what she had to work with.

She continued on in life always caring for others and sacrificing her goals and dreams for ours providing a rock for the family that lasted for 101 years of a foundation of love truth honor and respect.

I with my sister might be the luckiest people here for we got to know her on such a deeper level than most, when she took us in she had a full life of experiences and knowledge to pass to us.  Once when she was taking a college history course so they wouldn’t cancel the class my sister need for college (they needed 1 more student to complete the class) the professor showed so much respect to her by saying “you should be teaching this class” Mimi replied your doing fine I’ll let you know if you make a mistake”..Mimi self-sacrifice never ended she was always there when we needed her, she made it to every sporting event we were in and cheering us on to go faster, catch that ball or make that tackle her age never stopped her, she always had time to play catch, basketball and yes even football with me, and I know she laughing now cause yes mimi you even beat me in a footrace once, she never let me forget that fact or anyone else who would listen. She even found the time to take a taekwondo class with Cissy and made it to the orange belt the instructors felt they should bow to her.(she was 80 years old at the time)

From go-carts to dirt bikes with all the bells and whistles mimi encouraged us both to be and do the best you can, thou the wisdom seemed to fall on deaf ears we did hear you, everything I’ve learned in I my life, Mimi taught me first, open the door for women, be a gentlemen always, shake hands firmly look at people in their eyes don’t eat with your elbows on the table and when in doubt laugh, laugh, laugh. I got my since of humor from mimi  I will miss the hard belly laughs we used to share together .The ability to laugh at life and its challenges is the greatest  gift she gave us and I wish I could share it with the world.

There so much I wish I could share with you all so many great things she did, for a women with a limited education her vast insight and knowledge was incredible I mean she did crossword puzzles in pen…  some people have mighty men and great achievers as their heroes but mine was this little women from Leroy KS

She once told us one of the hardest thing to do is bury your own children yes Mimi I would agree but I believe this is a much lesser place without you. Good job my sweet mother and thank you for all you did now rest and be at peace we’ll be ok.
© Copyright 2007 Berryhill (berryhill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319911-My-fairwell-to-my-great-grandmother