*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1320173-The-Joy-of-Teaching
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1320173
Teaching can be a difficult job, but sometimes a little joy makes it all worth while.
Teaching a joy??  Okay, but will you say that come June?  Yes, I think I will.  This school year has already started differently than most in my 18 years of teaching.  From the first day, our new high school freshman have been excited - nearly giddy.  Their enthusiasm is contagious, hilarious, and sometimes borders on annoying when it flares at the wrong moment.  But what has made this year especially joyous has been the parents.  So many teachers dread the parent/teacher phone calls and meetings.  I have always been one of those teachers.



Last night was our back to school night - all parents are invited to come see what their children will be experiencing this year.  As I roamed the halls stopping to speak with various parents, one stopped me first.  Her daughter came home yesterday beaming. 



"What happened today?" she asked her student.



"I understood math!!" gushed her daughter.  This student had always feared math as something impossible to understand and comprehend.  She dreaded the subject as much as most people dread surgery.



"That's wonderful!  Did you get some help?"



"Yes.  Dr. Long helped me and I understand it now!" 



I was so touched by this story.  To be honest, I can't even remember what I said or did that she specifically needed.  My goal was to explain it in such a way that each one would find something to hold onto.  I had walked around the room stopping at desks to check work and offer assistance.  Obviously, it was just what she needed.



Parents, this is what we teachers need to hear.  Our heart's desire is to see our students succeed where they previously struggled.  Please share these moments with us, for it is these moments that make our days. 
© Copyright 2007 drteacherlady (drteacherlady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1320173-The-Joy-of-Teaching