*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1320442-title-to-come
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1320442
Some of this story came as a dream. This is Part 1.
Late in the afternoon, I found myself seated in an opulent restaurant, at a decadent table, surrounded by strangers. The room itself seemed to have been built in the 1800's, and was never redecorated. The walls were painted a pale salmon color, and every surface was adorned with glistening gold. I was one of 5 women at a large table, nestled in a front corner, just out of view from the main entrance. Our table was laden with delectable dishes; large roasts of pork, trays of sauteed vegetables, baskets of golden bread. I knew I wasn't supposed to be there; none of us were. But there we sat, waited on by tuxedoed men bearing gilded platters. 'Why am I here?' I wondered, casting quick, embarrased glances around the room. I certainly wasn't dressed the part; stains and tears marked every part of my jeans, and the shirt may have once been a red sack. Suddenly, a phone rang, right on the table in front of me. 'That wasn't there a second ago, was it?' I somehow knew the call was for me, still, my hand quivered as I reached out slowly for the receiver. The soft voice in my ear offered no greeting. "Watch out for the pink piano. The keys are rigged. You know what happens." Then he was gone. No dial tone followed. My heart started to beat in my brain, blood rushed to my face, and my lungs felt incapable of holding breath. I did know what that meant. I knew exactly what would happen. But how could that be? I've never heard anything about it before. I looked around in a panic, still holding the phone in my right hand. 'Don't look so suspicious,' I councelled myself. 'Just hang up.' I glanced down to replace the receiver on its cradle. There was no cradle. My hand held no receiver. No one was even looking my way. As if none of it had happened. Then, as quickly as a light scattering the darkness, I remembered.
© Copyright 2007 entityzero (entityzero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1320442-title-to-come