*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1320689-He-Could-Rule-The-World
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1320689
This is a fictional creation story.
When he became conscious or more properly, became aware of his consciousness, the first thing that crossed his mind was that he could rule the world.  He didn't know who he was or even where he was but if one thing was certain it was that ruling the world was do-able.

Why he would think this given his situation is unknowable and for a normal person, totally unthinkable but just as he knew that the world was just waiting for him to take over, he also knew that he was far beyond being normal, far from it.

But first things first he thought, I need a name.  Something simple yet elegant.  Something that would stay in the minds of his followers, worshipers and slaves to come.

He decided on Alpha.  How appropriate that he and his name alike would signify the coming of the new beginning.

Alpha rose and for the first time surveyed his surroundings.  Nothingness was all that he could see, if seeing is what you could call it.

Okay he thought, if there is nothing here to rule then I will create it.

As if by second nature, Alpha began to fashion his surroundings solely with the sheer power of his will.  One second there was nothing and the next, motion.

The motion of a trillion, trillion possibilities coming into existence slammed into one another and began to take form.  Quantum particles, molecules, systems, stars, galaxies and most importantly, planets.

Alpha surveyed what he had created and figured, well, this is good.  It could use some sprucing up though, a little more order but that can wait until later.  Besides, who but he would discover the flaws he would have to fix later, surely none of his creations to come.

Alpha began to create his invention, what he called "life", on a small planet third form it's sun in a small and inconsequential galaxy.  It took him seven days to get things just the way he wanted so he decided to rest for a bit.  Not that he was tired, but since he worked for himself he figured he could take a break anytime he felt like it.

His break had only lasted for a few million years when all of a sudden Alpha sensed that something was wrong on his little mud ball of a planet that while on his break he had decided to call “Earth”, which seemed so much better than calling it just plain dirt and less pretentious that Terra.

On Earth, a strangeness had overcome his life inventions.  They were struggling for dominance over each other and one breed had come out on top.  Big ugly, lets call them “lizards”, he decided.  Alpha didn't like the looks of these lizards so after watching for a few millennia, he redirected a few pieces of the leftovers straying about to crash into the planet, destroying the creatures.

This had the expected result of making Earth colder for a short while, not long, just long enough for a few modifications.  This time Alpha really paid attention to everything his life was doing, what it should know and exactly what type of life should be dominant over what other kind of life.

He named the most dominant of his creations, “mankind”.  An instant later, he also invented “womankind” but why change a good name he thought.

Alpha played with his mankind, nurtured them and taught them how to obey him.  They listened but really strayed a lot.  It wasn't that they were stupid, it was just that he had decided to make them able to think without him having to direct their every move.  He was a busy creator after all and mankind was expanding after they had decided to leave the original garden he had fashioned for them.

After some trial and error, things seemed to working out mostly fine so Alpha decided to begin working on all of the flaws in his original design for his complete creation.  He took a good look at the job and dove in.  It was a long time before he even thought of mankind again but he checked and they were fine, so Alpha dove back into his work.

After a while Alpha became bored with such monotonous work and decided to take a stroll around his universe, making changes as he went.

When Alpha finally got back to Earth they were all gone and the planet along with its sun had burned out.  It was a good thing that they had left a trail of mental pleading's he liked to call “prayer” to make it easier to find them.  It wasn’t that he couldn’t find them on his own, he just liked for things to not be too hard.

Alpha followed the trail that his mankind had left for him.  It broke up in a lot of places and disappeared all together it seemed at times but he always got right back on the trail eventually.  Off in the distance Alpha could see a strange glow that was not of his making and as he watched they began popping up all over the place.  Everywhere there was a glow some flaw in his design was fixed.  Somebody was doing his job for him, good mankind.  He had really done a great job in creating them and he felt proud even if a little embarrassed that they had found out about the flaws in the design of creation.  Sooner than he had thought, Alpha’s entire creation was neat and orderly.

Feeling elated, Alpha decided to go talk to mankind and thank them for being good and obedient worshipers.  The problem was that the prayer trail had turned in on itself and vanished.  Oh well, he could find them on his own.

Alpha looked all around creation for mankind but could never quite seem to catch up to them.  They were constantly on the go this last past Eon and recently Alpha suspected that they had left creation all together even though that was impossible.

As Alpha ruminated over this dilemma, a great force popped into existence and shook him violently and for the first time, Alpha knew that something was really wrong.  The force shook him again and again, growing stronger each time until eventually, Alpha was shaken completely out of his creation.

Alpha looked up sleepy eyed at the omniscience of his mother and father standing next to his bed with an even more omnipotent being than his father who could really be all powerful any where in Heaven when he wanted to be.

“Hello Alpha”, the stranger spoke to him smiling as his parents looked on with mixed anger and fear.
“Do I know you?”, Alpha asked politely as children are supposed to do of grownup immortals.
“I would say that you do and very well indeed since it was you who first fashioned us”, the stranger replied.

This struck Alpha a very odd thing for a grownup to say since Alpha could only fashion and create in his dreams unlike his parents who could do it anywhere and at anytime.  Then an idea struck, could it be?  This stranger was different and more powerful seeming than any other immortal he had ever seen and it would explain....no, it couldn’t be!

The stranger read Alpha’s mind, he could feel it when it happened, which for one immortal to do to another is a fantastic feat and very rude, but he did it anyway.  Then the stranger smiled.

“Yes Alpha, It can be”, and smiled a strange threatening smile, “I am mankind and we are here to rule your world!”
© Copyright 2007 Andrew Witherspoon (witherspoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1320689-He-Could-Rule-The-World