*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321131-The-Times-Did-A-Change
Rated: 18+ · Prose · Religious · #1321131
riting contest @ Skool last year. The prompt was simply 'change.' this is the rough draft.
When Jack was six years old, his dad taught him to play catch. Jack immediately fell in love with the concept of baseball. He began to beg for baseball cards at the store, and started watching games on the little black and white television he had in his room. The spring he turned ten, his parents signed him up to play little league. He was filled with excitement, and when practice time came around he discovered that not only was he a very unathleteic ten year old, he was afraid of the ball. After a few practices Jack quit the team.

When Peter was six years old, his mom took him to visit his grand parents in Maine. She left him there. But that was alright with Peter. His Grandpa oft took him out on the ocean to fish. Peter fell in love with his grand parents. They were kind and loving. They always put Peter first, and even though he didn’t understand it at the time, they were very insistent and enthusiastic about imparting wisdom to Peter.

When Jack was fifteen, he fell in love with punk rock. He started to dye his hair, smoke Camels, and play bass. He no longer ate dinner with the family, instead preferring his dirty, dirty poster laden room. Like many sixteen year olds, he hated his parents and nearly broke his dads nose one time. One night when he was seventeen, he got arrested.

When Peter was fifteen years old, he accompanied his grandparents back to Cleveland for his moms funeral. When he was seventeen, his grandfather let him take the boat out by himself. This is when Peter fell in love with the sea. Peter started to go Lobster fishing with some of the neighbors, and during crab season he helped them out when he could. Peter didn’t feel right on solid land. He loved the rocking of the ocean, the gentle lullaby of the sea.

When Jack was nineteen, he fell in love with the United States Marine Corps. At first he resented being in the marines. But about his sixth week into boot camp, he began to take pride in his performance, and realized he was definitely cut out for the marines. Here he was greeted with acceptance and a strong sense of belonging. Here, things made sense.

When Peter was twenty eight, he fell in love with his boat, The Crimson Lady II. Granted, it belonged to Starches Seafood Inc., but it was his ship to captain.

When Jack was twenty-four, he fell in love with Andrea. She was the most beautiful, intelligent, humorous woman he had ever met. She had the same interests as he, and didn’t mind the fact that he was a marine. They were married when he was twenty-five.

When Peter was thirty-one, he fell in love with bourbon. The expensive kind that is only made in Kentucky. It kept him warm and company on those dark nights, when he would have the lights turned out and try to navigate by the stars. In a drunken sort of way, it transformed him into an ancient mariner headed towards some new world laden with riches and bronze natives.

When Jack was twenty-eight, he fell in love with his newborn son Marvin.

When Peter was forty-eight, he fell in love with Jesus. In a strange and unsolved mystery-esque experience, he had seen Jesus walk towards him on the ocean, calling for him to come out onto the water. Initially he had chalked this up to drink fueled hallucination. But then he heard that the same story was in the bible. After visiting the small church his grandparents had taken him to, he found God.

When Jack was thirty-one, he fell in love with Church. His wife had made some friends that went to church, and he had been attending for about five months. The church was good people and it allowed the kids some social interaction.

When Peter was fifty, he fell in love with preaching. Occasionally the minister at his small church would take ill, and would allow Peter to fill in for him. Peter would bring the congregation warnings of sin and its wages.

When Jack was thirty-two, he fell in love with Jesus. He had been lost, and now he had been found.

When Peter was seventy, he fell in love with his garden behind the garage.

When Jack was forty-three, he fell in love with golf. Golf gave him relaxation, peace and rest. Golf had an easy yoke, and a light burden.

When Peter was eighty-four, he fell in love with bingo.

When Jack was fifty-two, he fell in love with his granddaughter, Clara.

When Peter was ninety-five, he fell in love with death. One day he walked out to the shore and kept walking into the water. He had lived a good life, and it was time to be one with the sea and the maker that he loved so dearly. However, he didn’t die.

When Jack was seventy-three, he fell in love with Jerusalem. He had accompanied a missions team form his church to Jerusalem. It was a beautiful city, with a rich history. Jack decided to stay. Andrea joined him two months later.

When Peter was one hundred years old, he fell in love with Jerusalem. His church had gathered up money and presented the trip to him as an award for faithful service. Peter was charmed by the beauty of the city. He figured this would be a fine place to end his days. Five years earlier he had thought that the Atlantic would be a fine place to end his days, but he had been wrong.

When Jack was eighty eight, he fell in love with his calling. The LORD told him to wear sackcloth, and to speak his word to the peoples. The LORD sent him visions, and Jack began to prophesy.

When Peter was one hundred and eighteen years old, he fell in love with his calling. The LORD told him to wear sackcloth, and to speak his word to the peoples. The LORD sent him visions, and Peter began to prophesy.

Together, Peter and Jack wore sackcloth and prophesied. Men would attempt to silence them, but fire would consume the would-be silencers. Peter and Jack made the rain stop. They casued famines at will, to make the people listen to the word of the LORD. Many listened. Some heeded; some did not care. At will they turned water to blood; as often as they wanted the struck the earth with every kind of plague. Cities, Nations, and Sinners were tormented and afflicted with the abominations and terror Peter and Jack willed into being. Locusts, frogs, fire, darkness, sores, blindness, deafness, madness…

When Jack was one hundred and one years old, he was killed by the Beast that comes up from the Abyss; for three days his body lay cold. The Earth celebrated in his death. But after three days, a breath of God entered unto him. And he journeyed up into heaven (to the meeting in the air) in full view of his enemies.

When Peter was one hundred and twenty one years old, he was killed by the Beast that comes up from the Abyss; for three days his body lay cold. The Earth celebrated in his death. But after three days, a breath of God entered unto him. And he journeyed up into heaven (to the meeting in the air) in full view of his enemies.
© Copyright 2007 Calvin Rainbow (bkrohe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321131-The-Times-Did-A-Change