*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321423-The-first-page-of-my-hopefully-novel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Drama · #1321423
tell me what you think so far!
The dreary winter was upon the family of Brattling, and the rest of the pitiful town they resided in. They were getting all their warm coats out for the harsh snows that the stiff country air brings to their doorsteps. The families are starting to lock up their small homes, to make sure they all keep warm. The Brattling family, in particular, were especially dreading this time of year because this meant that the animals would be leaving the village, and leaving them all to suffer in their own cages for three months, yet again. The Brattlings made use of every second they had outside, cleaning and doing chores and playing, for it would not be long before the black, merciless nights crept in on the village.
"Itza, come in! You will freeze your pretty little ears off!"
"Coming, Mama!"
Itzelina was perhaps the prettiest, sweetest, most beloved little girl in the whole village of Romet. She had a voice that everyone in the village wanted to hear, one that pierced through your heart, and her hair was long and golden, nothing like her family's history of rich, brown locks. She had the most beautiful green eyes, almost like little marbles that looked at you and just made you melt inside. She was a very outgoing girl, and loved to be the center of attention.
Itzelina's older sister, Mailette, was a charming but quiet girl, who always kept to herself. She, too, was a beautiful girl, and had short brown hair that looked like a chocolate waterfall flowing down the top of her head on to her small, milky white shoulders. Her coyness and sensitivity combined with her delightfulness and her wit made her a favorite amongst the other townspeople, especially the other girls who she loved to play with and entertain.
Now, the eldest, Dezirinda, was another story. The men called her a tease, among other things, while the women called her a tart, among other things. Her parents were not proud of what had become of their beautiful daughter, but she was what she was and there was nothing to change it. She had the most beautiful face in their whole town, with large doe eyes and pale skin. Her eyes were as blue as the sea, and her hair was as dark as the sky at night. She stood very tall, and had a beautiful figure that caught all the men's attention (which caused a ruckus with the wives of the village). She could always be seen scampering about, wandering around the remote parts of the woods and reading the works of famous philosophers. This was unheard of for women, as they were taught from birth to stay home and be a housewife. But there must be a rebel in every village, correct?
Yes, the Brattling girls were a fine group of young women, and very different, as well. Their mother Elkina, however, was a very plain and boring individual. She did not talk much, and always had her husband speak for her. She had long hair that she brushed 200 times every night, and braided into beautiful braids that reached to the small of her back. It was always a shame she had to keep it crammed up in a cloth, for it would dazzle he entire village. But she thought her daughters did that enough. Elkina's only dream was to go to the city, and buy a beautiful dress that all the other people in the village would marvel at, but this was her only wish and her best secret. Not a soul knew she had this dream, and although she knew it would never come true, the only other thing she could occupy her free time with was dreaming.
The master of the house, Jaume Brattling, was a stern-looking man with an even harsher persona. He was a six foot tall giant, with broad shoulders and piercing eyes he would threaten the townspeople with, and his voice would command a room in an instant.
© Copyright 2007 Alexandra (harleyquinnx3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321423-The-first-page-of-my-hopefully-novel