*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321481-Medusas-Child
Rated: · Short Story · Mythology · #1321481
Children of fate, a story of legend, all make for an interesting read.
Prologue
         Forbidden love, is always the most sought after love of all.  Why this is, is anyone’s guess, but when the flame is ignited anything can happen, anything at all.
         When gods still roamed the Earth and people went to Athena’s temples for blessings, two people met and fell in love, two who should never even have met.  Perseus had been sent by King Polydectes to slay Medusa as a wedding gift.  To help him in this task the gods had given him some gifts among which was a mirrored shield so all he would see was Medusa’s reflection.  He went as directed, climbing mountain peaks and fighting giants and sea monsters as he went, till he came to the cave where Medusa was said to reside.
         Perseus was determined to bring back the head of Medusa and restore his honor in the eyes of the king. He entered the dimly lit cave drawing on that determination for courage, only a fire, near the back of the cave lighting his way.  So with shield raised, he looked at the reflection of Medusa and froze.  Perseus had not expected her to be beautiful, emerald-green snakes did not change the fact.  He had not imagined that her skin would be as fair as pearls or that her eyes would be the color of a sun-kissed sky, or that her lips would be pink, full, and perfect. What he could not miss above all though was the quiet desperation in her eyes.  His love for her froze him where he stood.  Which was fortunate for if he had moved, he might have kissed her and ended his story prematurely.  This is where everything changed.
         “Who are you? Why do you come to slay me?” For she had awoken to see his drawn sword. “Is this a sport, a passage of manhood for you?  Well, lower your shield so everyone one will know you too were turned to stone.” She spat, all too accustom to men trying to vanquish her.
         “I don’t want to hurt you, I did, but I cannot.  No one told me how beautiful you were. I want to marry you.”
         As in all legends the girl agreed to marry him.  Although, she did so on the condition that he would never remove his blindfold in her presence or the presence of any children they might have.  However one night as he lay beside her, temptation overcame him and he looked straight at her and was turned to stone.
         Medusa was heartbroken and stood Perseus in a corner and took the mirrored shield out of the chest where it was kept, not looking at it as she went back to Perseus.  Holding Perseus as she cried, she raised the shield behind Perseus at eye level and was turned to stone herself, the shield falling from her stony hands.  She could not live without him, so she died with him.
         Legends say she left three children, one who could never live among mortals for she bore her mother’s curse.  However, this story is about the other two who would pass on their parentage to their children, and their children and so on, until there came one was the perfect mix of Medusa and Perseus.  One who would one day change the world, and maybe the legend too.
© Copyright 2007 Ferretparent (ferretparent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321481-Medusas-Child