*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321748-Sacrifice
Rated: E · Article · Philosophy · #1321748
What does sacrifice mean to you?
The traditional idea of sacrifice in todays society is an almost noble concept. The idea that the spirit we give will benefit another spirit, at the loss of our own. But in this loss of spirit, in this sacrifice, we open ourselves to recieve from the Universal well. So in essence, we may receive because we have lost, due to a noble or good act. Seen from this perspective, it is related to the principles shown in Karma, something I do not adhere to, and believe is a manmade misinterpretation of Buddhas teaching.

Sacrifice should not be...sacrifice, in the way we view it. Sacrifice should be as natural as a smile and as free as the breathe. If we see the Universe as an interpenetrating field of interconnected energy, then everything is part of everything, anything we give out, we give to ourselves. Anything we recieve, we receive from another part of ourselves. Sacrifice was often a ritual ceremony in ancient tribes, so they may alleviate fear and release it as an offering into the great midst of space. But are they not just releasing fear into another part of themselves? By Distancing fear in this way, they draw it closer to themselves, and sacrifice becomes a habitual process to release energy that keeps coming back. Fear should be held onto, it is our true guide and friend, something we take with us, not to be discarded.

Sacrifice is a means to become more versatile. To diminish the self. However, I say that sacrifice should be like a smile, free and natural, this is not how it feels a lot of the time! Sometimes sacrifice feels like a lump in the back of our throat, or a knot in the pit of our stomachs. The feeling that we may have to lose something, to diminish ourselves, so the new seeds of Spring may be grown. For if we are too full, we cannot be filled, we empty ourselves so we may grow again - Augmenting and Diminishing.

The Tao Ching says;

"And he who courts Loss is one with Loss.
...To be one with Loss is to be a welcome accession to Loss"

So when we label sacrifice as "loss" it can often be a very unappealing little creature. So we attach a nobility to those who approach it, those who enagage in it, we attach a courage and bravery for those who practise "self-sacrifice". And this is seen as something which can be praised in a person. Just another way to complicate a simple truth. As simple as - Loss is just like a river, it is unafraid to lose its form, yet continues without thought of loss or gain, because anything that is "lost" is simply a distant return, and anything that is gained is simply waiting to be lost.
© Copyright 2007 Rupert Wilding (rupertwilding at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321748-Sacrifice