*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321912-The-Himalayan-Adventure
by Guppy
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1321912
A short story about a man facing the elements.
The Himalayan Adventure


“Help!” the cry tore out through the cold Himalayan Mountains. As the yell echoed around the walls of icy rock, John realized that even if anyone was around to hear his strained scream they would not be able to pinpoint his location. John was trapped in a deadly adventure.
The view that he had could have been the tourist’s postcard of the year, but just looking at it felt like he had been stabbed with an icy dagger. He was suspended 200 ft. above the ground and was doing all he could to try and not move his broken leg. John could only lie there, not wanting to move, and not wanting to stay still at the same time.
It had started when John and five friends were hiking through the snow-covered Himalayan Mountains to during their visit to India. They were experienced hikers and thought nothing of the danger in hiking through the freezing mountain range. John was enjoying the sights when his friend yelled “Avalanche!” John looked up and saw the mountain of snow start to give away. A second later, the snow came down on them like a raging monster ready to devour them with its savage jaws. John stood there frozen with fear. The last thing he saw was his friends going under the blanket of snow. Then he blacked out.
A noise shook him back into the present, he struggled to turn his body around to the sound. John had to choke back a sob when he saw what was about 3 yards away from him- a hand sticking out of the snow. He recognized the glove as the one he had given his best friend the day before. With that, he cried himself back to sleep.
A whirring noise brought John around with a start; a helicopter came into view as he opened his eyes. His heart filled with hope as he watched the helicopter come near. “Over here!” He repeated those words over and over, his voice getting stronger with each cry. But wait, the helicopter kept on going. A small noise escaped his lips, John gave up hope as the last thing he saw was the back of the helicopter.
John woke up in a hospital bed with 5 empty beds next to him. Even though all of the nurses and doctors assured him that they would find his friends, he knew that they were gone forever. He mourned them for many days, but nothing would stop him from having another adventure.

© Copyright 2007 Guppy (guppy21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321912-The-Himalayan-Adventure