*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322558-age-of-treason-without-a-t
by aikin
Rated: E · Short Story · Gothic · #1322558
A personal reflection from 2031.
age of treason without the t


         “You are either with us or against us.”
         Those words echoed through that September evening. Those simple words which reduced the world so simply into the childhood game of ‘Black&White’. George Bush knew with an effortless conviction what he said that night would change the world.

         I remember that September 15th night vividly; If not for those fateful words, than for the thunder. Exactly thirty years later the storm still plagues this night; the world’s troubles still have a while to go.
         Those simplistic life-changing words that night were exactly that: simplistic and life-changing. We could not have been expected to envision this future, but neither did Promethius that fateful night when he gave the world fire.
What Bush forgot that night was our shadows.
         
         In 2008 when Tibet was liberated from China, the world rejoiced. America stood firm as a congratulatory beacon: heralding the virtue of democracy.
         In 2009 when all literature criticizing democracy was banned in Utah, Georgia, Tennessee and Delaware, Tibet congratulated America for its commitment to the liberating cause. The world rejoiced.

         Who knew those words that September night were such a paradox in disguise? Who knew that fateful night what George Bush forgot, would return to enslave us all? Who knew that the human race would become exactly what it had strove for millennia from?

         In 2012, the European Union passed the first Lockdown Act, effectively closing its borders and isolating itself from the rest of the world. In the last communication before ‘Shutdown’, America congratulated the EU for its progressive liberation towards its ideal of self-determination.
         In 2014, the African Union invaded Syria, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and 3 other Gulf states. The world rejoiced: no more would it suffer from the war on terror.

         There is no use for the sun now. Everything is manufactured: food, water, oxygen even roses. The sun was always just a distraction. Scientists now say it was the sun which dried the brains of the 20th Century. Others say it was the sun which kept our shadows behind us.

         In 2018, Russia traded nuclear secrets with Denmark and Canada to create the Coalition of the Strong. The world rejoiced for their innovation and new-found power.
         In 2019, Australia sent troops to Antarctica and claimed all land as their own. Five Argentinean spy submarines were destroyed in the consolidation. Argentina publicly apologized and India congratulated Australia for its rightful enforcement of its sovereign right.

         There is only one weather now; It has been months since the wind last touched my face, but it does not matter. The rain outside has lasted for 627 days. It’s all normal now.

         In 2023, Brazil invaded Mexico. Mexico did not resist. America congratulated Brazil on their resourcefulness after the complete deforestation of the Amazon.
         In 2024, in the last case held before the International Criminal Court, Israel was convicted of providing refuge to 15 EU citizens who had sought asylum on their border. The world rejoiced; never before had sovereign rights been so enforced.
         In 2028, the United Nations, which had now before a mere signatory body, passed GA Resolution 4550, which abdicated the Universal Charter of Human Rights. The world rejoiced in their new-found choice and freedom.
         In 2030, the EU, AU, UN, Coalition of the Strong and America signed the Eternal Discommunication Declaration, which outlawed intercommunication between sovereign states. It was a special day. No one had rejoiced more ever before.

         On September 15th 2001, George Bush called out those words in a vicious simplicity. Now we no longer look back to see the shadows and storms. The shadows and storms have consumed us all.
© Copyright 2007 aikin (aikinator at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322558-age-of-treason-without-a-t