*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322605-Evils-Fingers
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1322605
A boy falls in a pit and is rescued, and events arise in a hamlet that none are ready for.
That abomination, that quintessence of impurity, that extravagant showcase of grotesqueness that lingers up and up into hideous formations unthinkable near the heart of Blackberry Forest is sometimes called by the neighboring residents Evil's Fingers. At other times it has been remarked as The Tree of Death, The Gate to Limbo, Evil's Treehouse, and many more phrases designed to stimulate the imagination. These titles are, we regret to say, deserving, and there is much evidence in support of the fact.

Consider the greenish mist that literally hangs around and about the immediate vicinity of the thing. Such a strange occurrence as it is could perhaps be blamed on a pollutant of some sort, though that is highly unlikely considering that the inhabitants of Blackberry Village and its neighbors have yet to reach a comparable industrial age. More likely to be adopted is the notion that the mist carries with it some sort of supernatural influence, a notion that many of the surrounding and established communities have subscribed to.

Then, too, there is the unusual amount of disappearances that have been taking place in Blackberry Forest in relation to this tree. It has been said that if a person was to come in close contact with the aberration they'd be lost in limbo forever. This is something that many a Blackberry villager, as well as other inhabitants of foreign lands, has taken to heart.

But there is a group of people that don't take heed to the warnings and cries of the elder folk: the children. The children of Blackberry Village and the other surrounding communities occasionally find themselves romping through Blackberry Forest. And it just so happens that little Timmy Hutchinson is one of those children.

It was around midday during an early October period. Timmy's recreation for the day began when he spotted a little gray rabbit near the threshold of Blackberry Forest. The little gray rabbit was a fast and maneuverable one, but Timmy managed to keep up with him most of the way. The little boy chased after the little rabbit for about five minutes time, hair blowing in the wind while weeding through the onslaught of plant life. Finally, and quite unexpectedly, little Timmy found himself tumbling feet first into a pit of some kind. Looking down at his leg the boy perceived that he'd sprained his ankle. With an effort, he managed to stand on his healthy leg, the other being reduced to laying limp on the ground. He then cried despearately for help, hoping that anyone passing by would come to his rescue, but none came during that first hour. In fact, none came during that first day.


Night had fallen and a chill was in the air. Little Timmy Hutchinson sat huddled in a corner of the pit, trying to stay warm. The pit was muddy from recent rainfall and Timmy had gotten mud all over his shoes and legs. He wondered what must be going on in the heads of his parents. He wished that he could somehow reassure them that he was okay, and that he just needed a little assistance in making it out of this pit. The boy had long since given up calling for help for the day. Instead, he purposed in his mind to get some rest. But then something happened.

Timmy thought he could see the form of two misshapen figures standing over him and the pit. It was too dark to get a good view of either one of them, but there was no mistaking it; someone had found him. Quickly, the boy stood and shouted at the pair for assistance. The boy was answered with silence at first, but then he could hear a sort of grunting. Timmy's curiosity was piqued, but he was also very frightened. What kind of creatures would make the noises like the ones above him? Despite his fear and apprehensions, Timmy managed to summon up enough courage to listen to the creatures standing above him.

After a short while, it seemed to the young Timmy that the two were conversing. While he could not make out anything that they were saying, the boy was still quite intrigued. He continued listening. After another short while, it seemed like the two had begun arguing. The two creatures were in a heated debate, at least this is what little Timmy perceived. Finally, one creature's voice drowned out the others and the two stood in silence for a short while. They grunted toward one another again, and left. Timmy, standing inside the pit with his mouth gaped wide open, was at a loss to explain what had transpired.

Little Timmy Hutchinson was resigned to sleep his grief away, hoping that another day's cries would carry on to the ears of any passersby. The boy woke to the sun shining down upon him, and immeadiately reinstated his cries for help. As the day wore on, hunger began to plague him. He suddenly realized that he hadn't had anything to eat for at least twenty-four hours time. He tried to sidestep his need for food and focus only on his desire to make it out of the pit, but it was an arduous task to say the least. Around midday, he began to notice that he was losing his voice, as it began to appear much more raspy as the day wore on. He was at a crossroads. Should he continue on, hoping that someone somewhere would here this raspy voice of his, or should he instead reserve his voice for another time, hoping that it would begin to come back? He decided on the former, still trusting in his deep seated belief that someone would find him.

Timmy cried on, raspy voice and all, the feeling of hunger constantly being pushed to the back of his mind. And now (can you belive it?) he began to feel thirsty. It seemed as if all these misfortunes were mounting up against him in an effort to further dampen his already sunken spirit. Poor little Timmy Hutchinson began to cry, literally, to go along with his calls for help. But he would not have to wait too much longer for that help. A man, a giant of a man really, was making his way through Blackberry Forest with an axe in his hand. He was looking for the right spot to cut for firewood, when he chanced upon the cries of little Timmy Hutchinson. His interest was piqued. He sought out the voice and found Timmy at the bottom of a pit.

"Mr! Mr!" cried Timmy. "I need help! Can you please help me?"

"Just hold on a second there, young lad," said the giant of a man with a motion of his hand. "I'll be right back."

The man made his way to his cabin and immediately went to a shed where he kept some rope. He ran all the way back to the spot where Timmy Hutchinson had the misfortune of tumbling in and lowered the rope so the little boy could make it out of the pit. Timmy grabbed ahold of the rope and the man lifted him out of his despair.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!" said Timmy hoarsely. The man noticed the limp in Timmy's walk.

"I see you hurt your ankle. Why don't you come back to my place and I'll bind up your wounds?"

"Oh--I don't know," said a hesitant little Timmy Hutchinson. "I've been away from home for more than a day. My parents must be worried about me."

"It won't take long," said the man. "I've got soup cooking over an open fire. What do you say?" The man's last comment was too big of an enticement for little Timmy Hutchinson and he agreed to go along with the man. As he was leaving, Timmy noticed that he had come remarkably close to Evil's Fingers. He saw the apparition standing tall and mightily above the other trees, that characteristic green mist floating, hovering about it.

The giant of a man was nice enough to carry little Timmy Hutchinson all the way to his cabin. When they got there, the man bound Timmy's ankle up with cloth and tape and then he removed a pot of soup from the fireplace and poured little Timmy Hutchinson a nice helping of it. He then brought the young lad an appetizing cup of apple cider. Little Timmy Hutchinson said thank you. The giant of a man said that he was more than welcome. The man, for a short while, watched him eat his soup and drink his cider.

Aren't," began little Timmy Hutchinson, "aren't you going to eat anything, Mr?"

"Oh, I can eat later. But you can go ahead and eat without me." The man was just then reminded of what he had originally went out to the forest to do. "There's something that I have to do in the forest. Will you be waiting here when I get back?" Timmy nodded.

"I'll still be here," said little Timmy Hutchinson with the spoon to his mouth.

"Good," said the giant of a man, who was now smiling. "I'll be back." The man left Timmy to himself. It didn't take long for Timmy to finish his meal and when he did he thought a midday nap would be best. He scampered around in the man's cabin, taking note of all of his possessions. He noticed a bookshelf that was placed against a wall in the living room. He immediately made his way to it and saw books dealing with the fantastic, such as pixies, elves, dwarves, and all manner of fantastical things. After that he found the bedroom and jumped on the bed. He fell asleep speedily and had one of the quaintest, queerest dreams in recent memory. He dreamt he was in the forest, standing before Evil's Fingers and that he was having a conversation with the tree!

All of them," said the tree.

"All of them?" was little Timmy Hutchinson's reply.

"Yes," said the tree. "All of them. Bring them all to me."

"And then what?"

"Then things will be made clear."

"But the grown ups, they'll try to stop me."

"Sneak and do it."

"Sneak? You want me to sneak and do it?"

"Yes. Sneak and do it. Bring them all to me, little Timmy Hutchinson."

The boy awoke in the middle of the night, wondering what was real and what wasn't. The dream seemed so true, so life-like. He was now intrigued. He also knew what the tree wanted of him and he suddenly, very strongly mind you, wanted to see what would happen because of that desire. He then noticed that the giant of a man was standing in the doorway with his arms folded, looking at him.

"Are you ready to go home now, little Timmy Hutchinson?" Timmy said nothing at first. He was still concerned about the dream that he had. Finally he spoke.

"Yes sir, Mr. man. I'm ready to go home now."

Mr. Theodore Hutchinson and Mrs. Marie Hutchinson were in a state of stupor. Their son was missing. He had been missing for a little more than a day. Mrs. Hutchinson asked the nanny, Granny Weatherall, when was the last time she'd seen little Timmy Hutchinson and she said that she had seen him early yesterday morning.

"I last seen little Timmy, if I recall correctly, yesterday morning. He said he was going outside to play and I didn't pay too much attention to it. I just told him to be safe, and he said he would."

Mrs. Hutchinson had trekked to all of her close friends and associates homes (and even some who weren't close to her) and neither of them had any idea where little Timmy Hutchinson was. Granny Weatherall was tasked with questioning all of the children of Blackberry Village in an effort to see if they knew where little Timmy Hutchinson was, but none were able to give an account of his whereabouts. And so Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson sat in the parlor of their estate, worry encapsulating their thoughts.

"I'm telling you something's not right, Marie," said Theodore Hutchinson. "Timmy knew it was getting late last night and he still didn't come home. Something's happened to him, I feel it in my stomach."

"But what can we do but pray?" said Marie Hutchinson. "He may have went frolicking in the forest, as he is wont to do. He may have gotten lost out there. All we can do is hope that he somehow finds his way home. Or--at the very least--we can hope that somebody finds him."

"I just want to hold him in my arms again," said Theodore Hutchinson, who was now shedding tears. "I know it's only been a little over a day, but parents shouldn't have to fret over missing children." Marie went over to her husband and the two embraced. They then heard a knock at the door. Who could it be? The Mrs. left her spot and went to answer and was thrilled when she saw little Timmy Hutchinson but was a little put off to see the man who had, apparently, brought her to them.

"I'm home," said little Timmy Hutchinson.

"Oh Timmy, Timmy, Timmy, don't you ever, ever, ever do anything like that again! You had us losing our minds over you." She then embraced her son. The father then came and did the same, kissing his cheek in the process.

"I fell ma, but this man here rescued me," said little Timmy Hutchinson hoarsely.

"I see," said Mrs. Hutchinson, who was now looking at the giant of a man.

"Perhaps you could explain to us what happened, Timmy?" said Theodore Hutchinson. "I'd very much like to know. And what's wrong with your voice?" Timmy then went on to explain how he was chasing after a little gray rabbit in the forest, and how he had found himself tumbling feet first into a pit of some kind. He explained to his parents how he called endlessly for help during that first day, but no one showed up (he had forgotten about the creatures who stood over his pit but much had happened to him and surely he could be forgiven in that regard).

He then explained to them how he began to lose his voice, and how hunger and thirst snuck up on him to add even more to his plate at the Table of Woe (these were not his exact words mind you, but that is the gist of what he said). He then went on to explain how he was rescued by the "giant man in the forest", as little Timmy Hutchinson put it. The man then took over the story and explained how he fed Timmy, and waited for him to awake from his midday nap before he brought him home.

Well I must thank you," said Theodore Hutchinson. "Mr.--Mr.--"

"Oh, you can just call me Paul."

"Well, we're certainly indebted to you. Would you like to stay for dinner? Granny Weatherall, our nanny, is preparing a scrumptious dinner. Roast lamb I hear. Would you like to join us?" Little Timmy Hutchinson tugged at Paul's slacks but he wouldn't have any of it.

"No. I have to get back to my cabin. But thank you for your offer." Theodore Hutchinson nodded and Paul said goodbye to Timmy and his parents.

The next few days for the Hutchinson house seemed normal enough. Theodore went back to work (he had taken that one day off in hopes that his son would come home). The Hutchinson's owned a tremendous amount of farm land of which Theodore oversaw. This is what he busied himself with day in and day out. A good many Blackberry villagers (and others mind you) food could be traced back to Theodore Hutchinson's operation. Mrs. Marie Hutchinson, on the other hand, ran a clothing manufacturing company. She--like her husband--oversaw the entire operation. After her marriage, she changed the name of the company to Hutchinson Apparel (it was previously simply known as The Marie Barentine Clothing Company). There were many retail outlets throughout the world that carried Hutchinson Apparel, as well as two or three that resided in Blackberry Village and its surrounding neighbors.

As time went on, however, Granny Weatherall (specifically) began to notice odd happenings with little Timmy Hutchinson. She approached Marie Hutchinson one pleasant afternoon and spoke her concern.

"Madame, have you noticed anything, how can I put this--" she paused for a brief moment. "--odd about Timmy?" Marie Hutchinson looked at Granny Weatherall wide eyed for a short while. She was sitting on the front porch, taking in the bright and warm summer day.

"Why? Is there something wrong that I don't know about? I mean, he seems perfectly fine to me."

"Well, Madame Hutchinson, it's just that he seems rather exuberant, or jovial, especially with the other children."

"The children?" began Marie Hutchinson. "Interesting. That doesn't sound like little Timmy at all."

"Yes, it doesn't. He's always been the type of boy that plays by himself. But now he seems more inclined to play with the other children of the village."

"How long have you noticed this?" said Marie Hutchinson.

"Oh," began Granny Weatherall, "I think it started right after he came back from falling in that pit. Yes, I'm almost sure of it. Ever since that fateful day he's been associating with the other children of Blackberry Village more and more." Mrs. Hutchinson thought on this rather strange occurrence for some time. Finally, she decided on what she would do.

"I'll have a talk with him," said Mrs. Hutchinson. "I'll find out what's going on."

That night, when little Timmy Hutchinson came home from play, Mrs. Hutchinson called him into the parlor and questioned him. She asked him what was going on. He looked at her for a short while and confessed that he didn't know what she was talking about. She then asked him why it was that he had become what she termed "social". His answer came out much faster than what she anticipated, giving her the impression that he knew what she was going to ask before she even spoke it.

"We're playing, mother. It's a game called forest pirates. Do you wanna know how to play?"

"I told you before, Timmy, that I didn't want you going out in the forest, particularly near that tree. The thing is evil." Timmy shrugged his shoulders and said, "If you say so. Can I go now?" Mrs. Hutchinson was at a loss for words so she said that it was ok for Timmy to leave. Timmy went to his bedroom. Mrs. Marie Hutchinson determined within herself that she would talk the matter over with her husband and then they would go from there.

Theodore Hutchinson came home at or around 8:30's time. He questioned Granny Weatherall about what they had to eat for the day and she said chicken. He went into the kitchen and ate his meal. The Mrs. knew that he was home, but decided to wait until he came up for bed. She was reading through a rather tumultuous romance novel. The male in the novel was a serial killer and he begins to develop feelings with his next target. But he's conflicted because he may be having feelings for this woman but he also wants to continue with committing his murders. She was really enjoying it.

Theodore came into the bedroom and began changing into his night wear. "How's it going, sweetie? You enjoying that novel?"

"Oh yes, it's very enthralling. I'm at a very critical juncture at the moment. The woman has discovered that her boyfriend is a murderer, and now she's actually conflicted over whether she should tell the police, because the relationship has been so good."

"Really? That sounds interesting." Theodore headed toward the bed and placed himself under the covers. Granny Weatherall had already told him that Marie wanted to talk to him about Timmy and so he questioned her.

"Granny Weatherall tells me that you had something on your mind concerning Timmy."

"Yes," said Marie as she put her book in her lap. "There was something I wanted to talk about. But I'm worried that you might not take it as seriously as she and I feel it should be." She knew that her husband cared a great deal for their son. That became more than evident when he shed tears over his disappearance. But she felt that he'd downplay what she and Granny Weatherall felt were tremendous changes of character. She remained silent for a short while until Theodore pressed the matter even further.

"Aren't you going to share it with me? It's obvious to me that it concerns you. What makes you think that it won't concern me?"

"Ok. Fine. Granny Weatherall noticed that Timmy has been acting a little strange."

"Define strange."

"Well--he's become social."

"Social? With whom?"

"The other children, Teddy." Theodore thought on this for some time. He then voiced his perspective on the matter, saying that was unlike Timmy, which Marie agreed wholeheartedly.

"Maybe I'll have a talk with him," said Mr. Hutchinson.

"I already did that." Theodore turned towards her with his eyes bulging out of their sockets.

"You did? What did he say?"

"He said that they were playing 'forest pirates', whatever that is."

"Well then, maybe that's what they're doing," said Mr. Hutchinson, who was feeling a little relieved. "There's nothing wrong with children playing forest pirates."

"Yes, but why does Timmy possess the sudden urge to play with other children?" said Mrs. Hutchinson. "I mean, admittedly, we've always tried to steer him in that direction. There isn't much good about being a loner, in any part of the world. But why is he suddenly responding to our demands now?" Mr. Hutchinson said that he didn't know and that it would probably be best if she not worry about it. Then Mrs. Hutchinson brought up the idea that his peculiar actions might be linked to Evil's Fingers.

"You know," said she, "he may be acting like that as a result of that tree."

"Please, Marie! Please! Don't mention that abomination in this house."

"I'm just saying that I think he may have been influenced by it. Many a Blackberry Villager can attest to the evil in that thing. What if it's gotten to Timmy?"

"Don't think like that," said Mr. Hutchinson. But the Mrs. still held tight to her convictions, so the Mr. came up with a solution that would settle her reservations.

"Well then, if you feel so strongly about it why don't you go talk with Mayor Braddock and see if there's been any other queer happenings with other children. If there has, I'm sure he would be privy to it." The Mrs. was relieved to hear his suggestion and that was how they ended their conversation.

The next morning came swiftly and Mrs. Hutchinson (as it was discussed) forsook going to work and took a carriage to Mayor Braddock's estate. There was a good many people out and about in the early wee hours of the morning. Some were heading to work themselves, some were headed toward the different pubs and breakfast establishments. It took Mrs. Hutchinson about seven minutes to make it to Mayor Bradely Braddock's estate. When she got there, she exited the carriage and made her way to the front door. She knocked and after a time was greeted and welcomed into the estate. The maid who answered the door, as it so happens, knew of Mrs. Hutchinson, as she and her husband were both vocal proponents of Mayor Braddock. Mrs. Hutchinson climbed an extravagant flight of stairs and then made her way to Mayor Braddock's office. A lone assistant was situated just outside of his office in a secretarial room and, as Mrs. Hutchinson was making her way to the door, she sought to impede her progress.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Hutchinson, but Mayor Braddock is busy and can't be bothered at the moment." Mrs. Hutchinson was more than a little perturbed to hear this. She then drew herself up for a response.

"He's busy you say? What kind of busy?"

"He's planning his remarks for the village meeting that is to be held in two days time."

"Well, it just so happens that I have urgent business with Mayor Bradely Braddock, and that he would be willing to make an exception in this instance."

"I'm sorry, Madame Hutchinson, but he told me to specifically to prevent any, and I repeat, any and all entrance into his office. You'll just have to come back another time." Mrs. Marie Hutchinson became infuriated. Just who was this little lout to say what she could or could not do? As much support as she threw Bradley Braddock's way the least he could do was answer a few questions. She thought up a rather clever retort but decided against it. She then responded in like manner, trying (but not succeeding, mind you) to keep her cool.

"Tell him that Mrs. Marie Hutchinson requests an audience with him. Tell him that she has some very urgent business to discuss. Furthermore, tell him if he doesn't respond positively then the Hutchinson household will be forced to back his opponent in next Blackberry Village election." She smiled, seeing that her words began to resonate with the secretary.

"I will go and see if he'll speak with you."

"Good." The secretary went and stayed for a brief amount of time. She then came out with a smile and said that Mayor Braddock had agreed to see her. Mrs. Hutchinson smiled a rather pretentious smile and gingerly made her way into Mayor Braddock's office. Mayor Braddock was a corpulent and gaily gentlemen and seeing Mrs. Hutchinson enter into his office did not, initially, upset him. Indeed, it took a lot to get Mayor Bradley Braddock all riled up. He stood and then ventured to greet Mrs. Hutchinson.

"Ah, Mrs. Marie Hutchinson of the Hutchinson estate. How pleased I am to see you looking so lovely, as you are often wont to look. Look at you! You are just as splendid and as fantastic as you could possibly be. How have you been?"

"Life has been kind enough to me, Bradley. And what about you? How have you been doing?"

"Oh, you know how it is with Martha and myself. We're the happiest of the happy in Blackberry Village." He smiled at her and she returned a smile herself. Bradley Braddock was intensely devoted to his supporters. Especially those who contributed to his reelection campaign. Mrs. Hutchinson knew this, but never said or gave any indication to testifiy against his facade. A thought came to Mayor Braddock and he just had to share it.

"And just how is that son of yours, little Timmy? You know, I'm sure that was really a hard and trying time for you and Theodore, not knowing where your son was and all. Why, just last night, Martha and I were discussing how hard it must've been and the kind of thoughts that must have been coming to your mind, when you didn't see little Timmy coming through the door at his usual time and how, as time went on, he still was nowhere to be found. And what about that noble Paul fellow? You know, we really ought to give him an award or accolade for what he did. Why, if it wasn't for him who knows how long little Timmy Hutchinson would have had to endure that trial. In fact, we could even name it after him and all those who receive it from then onwards would be the recipient of the 'Paul, the Giant' man of the year award. Uh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! That would be something, wouldn't it? Uh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" It must be noted here--as can be easily perceived--that Mayor Bradley Braddock was quite the conversationalist. Or, perhaps the better label would be he was 'garrulous.' Mrs. Hutchinson listened to him whine on and on until finally she couldn't take it anymore. She told him to stop and then went on to answer his question that led to the 'speech', as she would have put it.

"Timmy is fine. At least that's what I would have said before he fell in that pit. The truth is, there's something about him that's bothering me and that is why I have sought you out."

"So all is not well, you say? Really? Well, that's too bad. Tell me then, what's bothering you concerning your son?"

"Well," began Mrs. Hutchinson, "you may or may not see this as a huge or glaring peculiarity, but myself and Granny Weatherall feel that little Timmy is behaving strangely with the other children."

"Huh? Stangely you say? With the other children? How so?"

"He's playing with them, something he never used to do. He'd always play by himself and now he claims to be playing 'forest pirates' with the other children of Blackberry Village." Mayor Braddock said a plethora of 'hmm's' and 'ahh's.' He and Martha didn't have any children Timmy's age, but it did intrigue him that Mrs. Hutchinson would be concerned about something seemingly so trivial.

"I came to you today to ask if there has been any other strange reports concerning the children of Blackberry Village. I think," began Mrs. Hutchinson, and here she was hesistant to continue because she had a feeling of how Bradley would react but she continued anyway, "I think it might have something to do with Evil's Fingers."

"Evil's Fingers?! Oh, dear me! I do hope, Mrs. Hutchinson, for your sake and the child's, that this has nothing to do with Evil's Fingers. People have turned up missing because of that thing you know. It has the power to send people straight to limbo. Oh, dear me! Dear me indeed. You mustn't speak that name here, here or anywhere. It's unseemly to do so. It attracts the green mist, I'm almost sure of it. Oh, dear me! Dear me indeed!" Bradley continued on with his rant for some time until Mrs. Hutchinson couldn't take it anymore.

"Mayor Bradley Braddock, you still haven't answered my question. You've just been going on and on and on, talking about your fear of Evil's Fingers, and how it is out to get us and what have you. I contribute to your re-election campaign, so the least you could do is answer my question in a timely fashion, so that I may take my leave of you. Now please, has there been any strange reports concerning the children of Blackberry Village?" Mayor Braddock drew himself up in preparation for a response. He was sincerely hurt by Mrs. Hutchinson's ranting and raving. He began to straighten out his tie and he cleared his throat.

"In response to your question, I will say that I have heard of children behaving what you would call 'strangely'. There has been a sudden surge of children turning up missing for a few hours and then they'd come back, most confessing that they'd become lost in the forest."

"Interesting," said Mrs. Hutchinson.

"Yes. It is," said Bradely Braddock as he cleared his throat again. "But this is all I know. Now if you will excuse me, I must get back to writing my address for the bi-monthly village meeting. Good day to you, Mrs. Hutchinson."

"Good day, Bradley Braddock," said Mrs. Hutchinson as she stood and made her way to the exit. Mrs. Hutchinson went home and waited for her husband to return from work so she could tell him about the conversation she had with Mayor Braddock. His interest piqued when she told him that there had been instances of children disappearing and then reappearing.

"That sounds queer," said Theodore Hutchinson as he stroked his chin. "I wonder what's the meaning behind it."

"Who knows but the children. Whatever the case may be, I think we need to keep a close eye on Timmy. In fact, I'm going to tell him tomorrow that I don't want him going to the forest anymore to play forest pirates." Theodore Hutchinson agreed in earnest. Both were only doing what they felt was best at the time. Little did they know, however, that an event was about to happen that would change the course of history for all of Blackberry Village and its neighbors.

The next morning came swiftly. Theodore left for work at his usual time and Mrs. Hutchinson awoke with her agreed upon plan in her mind. She would tell little Timmy Hutchinson that she did not want him playing forest pirates with the other children of Blackberry Village and that she didn't want him going to the forest anymore. It had caused enough trouble as it is, with him falling in the pit and whatnot, and all the misfortune that came about because of it. She would tell him this before she left for work. She went to his room and was perturbed to find that he wasn't there. That's rather odd, she thought. She made her way down the elaborate staircase with the intention of talking with Granny Weatherall. Granny Weatherall was making biscuits for breakfast. Mrs. Hutchinson made her way toward her.

"Have you seen Timmy, Granny Weatherall? He's not in his room. Has he come down here at all?" Granny Weatherall turned around and shook her head.

"I can't say that I have, Mrs. Hutchinson. I haven't seen him nor have I heard him coming down the stairs." Just then, there was a knock on the door. Mrs. Hutchinson went to answer and saw an old friend in Darlene Fields. Both were some of the wealthiest people in Blackberry Village, the Hutchinson's and Fields'. Mrs. Hutchinson had put on a small smile when she noticed it was Darlene, but as the expression on Darlene's face became clear to her, her expression changed to one of concern.

"Oh my God, Marie! Have you or your son seen Christie? She's been missing since late last night. I thought to wait and see if she'd turn up by the morning, and that if she didn't I would go around the village and ask anyone if they'd seen her. Have you seen her?" Mrs. Hutchinson was at a loss for words. Her mouth was opened but no words were coming out. Finally she managed something.

"Actually, I haven't seen her nor Timmy. Would you like to come in? Granny Weatherall is making us some breakfast biscuits."

"So your son's missing too? I'm sorry but I have to decline your offer. I have to find my daughter." Darlene scampered away and Marie noticed that toward the horizon there was a good many people in the streets, seemingly in perplexity. People were in the streets crying it seemed. What in God's name was going on? As time went on, and as more and more concerned parents came to her door, she began to realize the horrible truth of the matter. The children were missing! All of them, mind you, had seemingly disappeared over night.

The next day came, and the children of Blackberry Village did not return to their homes. Theodore and Marie Hutchinson had been handling the matter as best they could, having some previous experience with an event such as this. Theodore had brought up the idea that the men of the village should form a search party for the children and some of them had already begun doing so. Theodore was with them. They had been searching since the wee hours of the morning, but no children had been found. The time of the bi monthly town meeting was fast approaching, and Mrs. Hutchinson had a topic that she wanted to discuss.

It was the evil influence of the tree that had been doing this. That entity. That cold, malicious, malevolent, disgraceful thing that was entrenched in evil. That unclean thing. It had taken the children. It knew that the children were the only people of Blackberry Village that wasn't afraid of it and now it used the children as a way to get to the parents of the village. She would bring up the only possible solution to the village's problem at the meeting: the complete destruction of Evil's Fingers.

Night had fallen. The search party had given up on looking for the children for the day. Everyone began filing inside of the village hall, where the meeting would take place. There was much talk and commotion as everyone began to file in. There were chairs situated throughout the hall. Mayor Braddock called for everyone's attention and they gave it.

"The fifth village meeting on the calendar will now commence," said Mayor Bradley Braddock. But before he could start speaking he was interrupted by Mrs. Marie Hutchinson of the Hutchinson estate.

"We don't have time for the pleasantries, Bradley. Everybody knows what's on all of our minds. We want our children back!" Mostly everyone erupted into riotous agreement. Mayor Braddock tried to calm everyone down.

"Please! Let me finish! I was going to say that this was going to be a special meeting in light of recent events. Yes. I know. We all want the children back. But how do we go about doing that?" There was silence for a short while. No one seemed to want to voice their opinon. Finally Darlene Fields spoke her thoughts.

It's that tree, I tell you. Something's gotta be done about that tree!" There was moaning and groaning from the villagers. Everyone seemingly agreed that the tree was the source of the disappearing children, but not many were set on confronting its evil. Marie Hutchinson saw this as her chance to speak her mind.

"If we don't confront that apparition we'll never see our children again," said she. Her husband held her hand tightly in support of his wife. "That thing has been the cause of many disappearances throughout the history of Blackberry Village. I think that's something everyone can agree on. It's only common sense that tells us that it's the tree's evil that has caused the disappearances of our children." There was some splattered hand clapping and hearty 'here here's'. Still though, the people seemed unwilling to commit to confronting the tree, especially Mayor Braddock.

"Come now," he said, "it may turn out to be something completely different than that tree. We don't have to be rash about things. Let us reconsider our course of actions, for who knows what may happen to those that oppose Evil's Fingers." There was some hand claps and voices in agreement with Bradely's statement. Mr. Hutchinson stood up in protest of what Bradely said.

"Listen here, Bradely. My child is missing. I know that it has something to do with that tree. It has been a thorn in our side long enough. It's high time we got rid of it. What say any of you?" There was some hand clapping and even some that stood up in support of Theodore Hutchinson's comments. He nodded his head in agreement with them. A lone man by the name of Thomas stood to contest his statements.

"So what are you proposing we do? Go out into Blackberry Forest with axe's in hand and uproot Evil's Fingers? And how many of us do you think will make it back from such a foolish expedition? Two out of many?" There was a good deal of applause to Thomas' statements, and even some standing. Mayor Bradley Braddock ventured to add to his statement.

"You are most right, Thomas. Standing in opposition to Evil's Fingers is not standing at all. It is foolishness." More people voiced their support of Bradley's statement than those who opposed. Mrs. Hutchinson saw her chance slipping from her and went for one last bastion of hope.

"So what you two are proposing is that we let that thing keep our children? I'm sorry gentlemen, but that is unacceptable. For those of us who have children missing, we know how hard the sting feels. I can almost pardon you, Bradley. You don't have children missing, and that coupled with your fear of Evil's Fingers has led you to not want to confront it. But Thomas, don't you have a son out there?" Thomas looked around sourly and embraced his crying wife.

"I just don't see what you expect us to do in the face of such evil," said Thomas.

"The path may be blind to you, sir Thomas," said Theodore Hutchinson, "but we could at least try. We may be sacrificing our lives but in an effort to save the lives of our children I think that it is a noble crusade. A noble crusade indeed." Many a Blackberry Villager applauded Theodore Hutchinson's statements. Marie saw this as her opportunity to get her child back.

"Come then! Let us go find axe's and uproot Evil's Fingers!" she said with a motion of her arm, rallying support. Just about everyone stood up and headed for the exit, ignoring Mayor Braddock's plea for order. It didn't take long for the villagers to rally in the square. A good many had axes, the others would simply go to watch the destruction of Evil's Fingers. Their cries were defeaning as they made their way through Blackberry Forest. Darkness had--as it has already been told--descended. That characteristic green mist that hung around Evil's Fingers now surrounded the entire forest. The villagers took note of it, but their desire to win back their children outweighed their fear.

When they got to the spot, the tree looked just as menacing as ever. The green mist hung limply around it. The tree itself was a towering, foreboding thing. It was anti-nature in its most inexplicable form. The cries had ceased. Everyone was attempting to take in just what it was they were attempting to do. Everyone just stood there with their mouths gaped wide open. Finally, Thomas (who was initially fearful of taking on the tree) began screaming and ventured to strike the thing with his axe. But imagine his bewilderment when he discovered that his axe did not produce the desired effect. It was true. He had struck the thing, but no hurt was done. Theodore then went to try his hand at injuring the tree but the same results occurred. Everyone was astonished beyond astonishment at this rather queer occurrence. Then Marie Hutchinson noticed something. There was someone standing to the side of the mob, observing. Just at that moment Mayor Bradley Braddock caught up with the mob.

"Paul?" questioned Marie Hutchinson. "Is that you?"

"You can't destory it," said Paul. "It's as much a member of your community as you are yourselves." Everyone looked at him as he approached the mob. Mayor Bradley Braddock began to voice his disapproval of the mob's intentions.

"I told you that it was useless to oppose Evil's Fingers. Now the thing will have its revenge. It'll gobble us all up and send us to Limbo!" Mayor Braddock was eccentric and had to be told to shut up, which is what Marie Hutchinson told him. Paul had--by now--reached Marie Hutchinson.

"Hello, Mrs. Hutchinson."

"Paul?" began Mrs. Hutchinson who was now wondering what it was that he was doing here. "Where's Timmy?" she continued.

"I'm here, mom!" Timmy, as well as the other children, were standing along to the side of the mob. All those who had missing children began to celebrate as they reunited with their loved ones. The green mist then began to evaporate and--what had to be considered as one of the most beautiful sights that any Blackberry Villager had attested to seeing--the tree began to change all at once. It took on the color of whiteness and those hideous formations that reached high into the sky began now to become what many perceived as harmonious. Paul then began speaking to the mob.

"Evil's Fingers is more than what any of you know. It is a gateway to a fantastical world. The reason there have been so many disappearances is because people have discovered how to go through that gateway and have elected simply not to return. Such is the splendor that awaits on the other side of Heaven's Tree."

The villagers then began to see all manner of fantastical things in the sky (things that they considered fables), such as dwarves, and elves, and pixies, and trolls, and even dragons. They then began to see majestic kingdoms, castles and white towers that reached high into the sky and landscapes brimming with greenery. The villagers were awestruck and unmoving. Paul then began heading toward the tree.

"If you are still unbelieving then come for yourself. See what waits on the other side." Paul began moving toward the tree and the closer he got toward the tree the less visible he became. Everyone gasped. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson, being led by their son, began heading toward the tree. And that was the end of that despised thing we call Evil's Fingers, and the beginning of the majestic wonder that Blackberry Village and its neighbors call Heaven's Tree.









© Copyright 2007 SethVonYork (sethvonyork at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1322605-Evils-Fingers