*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1323129-The-Lonely-Ballroom
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1323129
An imagination is unleashed only to be denied.
We wandered aimlessly down that wooded path for what could have been hours. Our talks weren’t of any consequence, really, jumping between lipsticks and dogs in purses. I simply nodded with a grin and let my imagination swim through the greens and browns of the forest underbrush. I’d been dating Rebecca for a few weeks and still found myself petrified of direct eye contact with her. Occasionally I would muster the courage to steal a peek into her smiling green eyes just long enough to throw my pulse into a fit. Her slender face was shaped by her thick black hair, glowing in the stray sunbeams that burst through the leafy canopy. My mind flew to pirate adventures and castle battles.
        “But, I mean, I just couldn’t believe I said it.” She laughed down at her perfect pink toenails and then shot me a smile. I opened my mouth to respond, but she continued before I could find my voice. I returned to slaying dragons.
        “I just really want to get that sales job. I know I could make a killing in the corporate world.”
        “Yeah.” I choked out before I knew what I was even agreeing to. She smiled at me again and kept walking.
        My eyes turned away quickly in a panic and among my dashed glance I spotted a little brown bird perched delicately upon a branch beside a similar red bird. Rebecca’s dragging sandals jolted the female cardinal and she flew off in a flash. The red male hesitated with a skip then reluctantly followed his mate.
        “Ew! Gross! Gross!” Rebecca shrieked and flailed absurdly, throwing her limbs about in an awkward dance. “Get it off! Get it off me!”
        “Wh-what?” I managed to say amongst the mayhem. I wanted to help but found myself too utterly confused to move.
        Her movements slowed and her voice became reasonable, livid, but reasonable. “I just walked through a spider web. If there is a spider on me, so help me God I will scream bloody murder.” I stood frozen. “Well?” she erupted, “is there a spider on me?” Her face mangled and her voice cracked as she shouted at me.
        I quickly circled her looking for any sign of a spider. As I did I thought of the phrase my mother always gave me that they’re probably more afraid of you than you are of them, and decided that after her frenzied freak out, no spider was brave enough to tolerate her.
        “Nope. No spiders, just you, gorgeous.”
        “Eww, I hate spiders.” Rebecca continued to brush herself off.
I took a deep breath, and decided exactly how to calm her. It was time to show her my world.
        "Rebecca, I want to show you something." She slowed her movements and looked at me. She then looked around the woods, as if I was hiding a new Harley Davidson or Corvette behind a few elms.
        "What is it?" She raised one side of her face as she asked.
        “Just hold my hand.” I looked into her sharp eyes and as my heart fluttered I realized that this might be harder than I thought. “Close your eyes.”
        She reluctantly gave in to my request and closed her eyes.
        “What are you doing?” She asked.
        “Just come with me.” I set her right arm on my left shoulder and held her left hand high in my right, a perfect stance for a waltz. Her face grimaced with impatience. “It’s okay, just come with me.”
        At that, I let my imagination run wild through the wooded clearing. The bark of the trees was quickly smoothed to glorious gray marble pillars. The leaves above us sunk and shifted into endless silver and crystal chandeliers. Below our feet, the forest floor leveled even, polished and silky. We stood in each other’s arms at the center of a magnificent ballroom fit only for true royalty.
        My eyes turned to Rebecca, who now stood before me in a full-length silver and green gown that flowed as one with the smooth floor. A soft velvet glove covered her hand, still holding mine. Her eyes fluttered curiously beneath their lids. As I looked down at the shining silver tuxedo I now wore, the scent of candles burning in cool air filled my nose.
        “Are you ready?” I asked her with a grin.
        “Um, sure, I guess.”
        With that we began to whirl through the ballroom, waltzing gracefully between the marble pillars. We spun elegantly as an unseen orchestra filled the room with a heartfelt melody.  I closed my eyes as I led her through our dance.  But then I felt her stop.
      "What are you doing?" She looked at me like I was a lunatic.
      "I-I was just dancing with you."
      "We're in the middle of a park.  Why the hell would we just start dancing?  This isn't some ballroom." Her green eyes questioned me.  The ballroom began to melt away as the forest came back into view.
      "I just thought you could use your imagination with me."
      She let out an annoyed laugh, more of disgusted cough, really.  I stared at her in disbelief, finally unafraid.  After a few uncomfortable moments, I spoke up.
        "Let's just get out of here." I said more to myself than to her.  She turned and marched her way back to the car as I trailed behind her.  As I trudged along, considering my future, I spotted the bright red cardinal once more.  He now sat on a high branch, his feathers fluffed up.  He was alone, and content.
© Copyright 2007 Joe Miller (joemilleruncc1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1323129-The-Lonely-Ballroom