*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324275-The-Suicide-of-Jack-Craft
by Jeremy
Rated: 13+ · Preface · Gothic · #1324275
Doctor Jack Craft's suicide note, left on a phonograph, October 19th 1907.
Recorded on a phonograph record by Jack R. Craft, Psychiatrist, October the 16th, 1907. This was his suicide note.

I have been unable to eat. Horrific dreams have been feverish and offer me no respite from terrible exhaustian. It seems all light has left this rotting globe and things that mattered to me hold no more importance. My life unfolds behind me like so much stained parchment, a dirge of professional papers and unanswered letters. Have I ever really lived?

Dr. Craft pauses here for several moments.

I hear knocks when there are none, voices when alone. I dig my nails into sanity, clutch at it with all my strength but still it slips away.

Another longer pause here on the recording.

Something is wrong.

Here the phonograph record becomes too scratched to understand but audio specialists agree that "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe is recited. A confession of murder was also left at the scene of the suicide. Abagail Dowerty, a friend of Dr. Craft's was found dead the same night, drowned near Willowlake Asylum. It is wildly speculated that Jack and Abagail were having an affair behind Henry Efford's (An associate of Jack Craft) back.
Tags: abagail, affair, craft, dowerty, efford, horror, phonograph, suicide
© Copyright 2007 Jeremy (jhjanuary at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324275-The-Suicide-of-Jack-Craft