*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324983-The-Dog-Cares-not-about-the-Moon
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1324983
A man walking his dog at night.
The large dog bounds out of the house into yard. He steps out after her and takes a moment to enjoy the night.

Looking up, light pollution bleeds out the stars so that only the full moon is visible in the cloudless sky. The moon seems like a unique, floating pearl. He is memorized by it until the dog's barking brings him back to earth.

Calling her over he clips on her leash and they leave the fenced yard. The dog yanks him away from the gate almost before he has a chance to close it. Walking along, the dog zigzags around from one side of the alley to the other leading him in an unpredictable, crooked path in the moonlight.

For a brief moment, the dog stops finding something interesting to sniff. The drab alley does not hold the same interest for the man. He glances up at the moon again. The moment his eyes find it he is pulled on again to the next interesting smell the dog is following on this erratic course.

Eventually, the dog leads him back to the fenced in yard, and they enter. The dog runs around the yard while he goes and opens the door to the house. He stops to glance at the moon yet again while standing in the doorway. It's tempting for him to reach out and try to grab that beautiful lone speck in the otherwise dark, blank sky.

He does start to reach toward it. The dog plows past him, and then circles back around him again. It's her supper time and she's pushing him into the house to feed her. With a sigh, he turns from the moonlight and lets the dog push him inside.
© Copyright 2007 Erratic Echo (wcinotto at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324983-The-Dog-Cares-not-about-the-Moon