*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1326284-Not-Much-Happens
by Eeevil
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1326284
What a horrible night to have a quest.
The Temple of Oaths was an intimidating building, Thenrigaul III thought as he readied himself to enter. It was a large, roofless building with a massive statue of Orikon, god of oaths, near the center. Suddenly, it struck Thenrigaul that this was the beginning of the quest he had been training for. After twenty years, he was finally ready. He moved to the center of the temple. A voice boomed out from the statue.

“Warrior, what do you swear?”
“Vengeance against the mage Iznik, for the murder of my father and many others.”
“On what do you swear?”
“On my father’s spear!”, Thenrigaul shouted, raising the weapon towards the heavens. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning hurtled down from the clear sky, striking the spear. Thenrigaul fell to the ground, dead. After a few moments of silence, the voice muttered,(as well as a gods voice can mutter) “Well, it’s not the shortest oath of vengeance we’ve ever had, I suppose. Still, it’s quite a pity. He seemed like the dramatic sort.”

Iznik had an uncontrollable fit of the giggles. After a long while, he managed to calm down a bit. Carefully picking up a piece of paper marked “to do”, he crossed off a box next to the words “destroy an enemy”. Still snickering, Iznik returned to preparing the summoning spell. Today promised to be very entertaining indeed.
© Copyright 2007 Eeevil (dalk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1326284-Not-Much-Happens