*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1326763-Where-Are-the-Fashion-Police
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Opinion · #1326763
What happened to society's idea of acceptable attire?
The other night, sitting at a school function, I watched the other parents filing into the auditorium. I was appalled at the way they were dressed. Not that this was a 'black tie' affair and everyone was expected to wear formal attire. It wasn't that kind of an event. But sweatpants?

When did sweatpants become acceptable to wear to social functions, shopping and day-to-day life? How did we get to this point. Unless you just came from the gym or a jog around the neighborhood, there is no reason to wear sweatpants in public. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but I really am tired of seeing people dressed sloppily. It doesn't stop with sweatpants. Oh no. Sneakers also have made their way into everyday society. I used to wear sneakers when I was doing some kind of physical activity: exercising, yard work, cleaning, or moving. Maybe they're acceptable now because they are called 'athletic shoes'. The 'shoes' part of it means you can wear them to everything.

Even at church, the dress code has changed. (I know I shouldn't be judging what other people wear to church, but I can't help myself.) I like to check-out what the teenage acolyte is wearing. Flip flops in church? Chewing gum as they light the candles? What is that all about? Didn't somebody mention that this is church and not a day at the beach? I want to scream, "Spit out that gum!"

Is this a symptom of what our society has become? Wear whatever you want - it's a free country. Well, excuse me, but Nascar hats don't belong at social functions, restaurants or church. Most of the time these hats look like they've been soaking in a bucket of grease. And dirty t-shirts aren't acceptable either. Especially ones that look like you ate something that dripped grease down the front of it.

And how about a comb? They still sell them in stores. I've seen them. But still people walk around with their hair sticking-up, looking knotty and ratty. Is this considered a 'style'? Who started this trend? Are you that lazy that you can't run a comb through your hair? Do you realize how disturbing you look?

And while I'm ranting and raving - doesn't anyone own an iron? Why do I see young girls wearing shirts that look like they were crumpled up into a ball?

I know I'm going to sound 'old', but in my day, you dressed neatly when you went out in public. There was a sense of pride in your appearance. I don't see that anymore. We dress like we just don't care. I swear some people look like they roll out of bed and leave their homes with their pajamas on. In fact, one morning after dropping my daughter off at school, I saw a mother standing at the bus stop with her child. The mother was wearing pajamas. I thought this was unacceptable considering she lived three blocks from the bus stop and walked there.

I miss the days when men dressed-up, and women wore nice, coordinated outfits with a nice pair of shoes. There are still a few of us around, but we are a small minority who has learned to keep our mouths shut since we now live in a "do whatever you want" society. I think it's time we speak-up. I'm tired of my eyes being assaulted with the sense of style, or lack thereof, of those around me. Wake-up - and get dressed neatly.
© Copyright 2007 Victoria (vlm0325 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1326763-Where-Are-the-Fashion-Police