*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327380-Chapter-1Genesis
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1327380
working novel, about a knight and a mage who both want to obtain a lost artifact
A Tale of Swords
Chapter 1
Genesis
Light. Dark. Good. Evil. Which is the path destined for us? This is a tale of choice, and of love lost; a tale of sympathy and sorrow; a journey of the mind, body, and soul. I present to you, A Tale of Swords.

The mage stood over the lifeless body, tears streaming down his cheeks. He had failed. He roared with passion, an undead army surrounding the two. As he roared, fire leapt from his entire body. Flames shot through the entire cathedral, scorching all in his attempt at vengeance for the murder of his true love.

The moment the knight entered the tavern; all eyes were fixed on her. She sauntered to the bar, her robes sweeping just above the ground. She took a seat at the bar and motioned for the barkeep.

“Is he here?” She whispered. The man nodded, pointing to the staircase adjacent to the bar. She stood, and proceeded up the stairs, the chatter down below resuming as though she never entered. At the top of the stairs she found a small room with a man sitting at the sole table.

“You’re here!” he said, eyes alight with joy. She took her seat across from him. “Raymond.” He said, extending his hand.

“Lucia." She spoke, turning her head for better listening to the pitter patter of raindrops against the window. “What is it you need me for?” She asked. Raymond sat back in his chair, inhaled, and began.

“The reason I requested you to be here is to assist me. I am traveling to the eastern land of Phoenicia. In this domain, is said to be a lost cathedral. Inside, a sacred artifact is held there; known as the Dawn Elixir. The vial contains a liquid imbued with magical properties, capable of curing any disease…or even bringing the dead back to life. If I obtain it, I mean with proper training, I cou-”

“The current ruler of Ivanstrum is dying. King Leonidas III has brought great prosperity to our nation. Now, however, he awaits death. I know that if we give this elixir to our king, he will see fit to bring another century of peace for Ivanstrum.”

“Um, you see, the Dawn Elixir can only be used once. But if I can dupli-”

“Then King Leonidas shall be the one who drinks from it.”

“…does this mean you will accompany me to Phoenicia?”

“Yes, my lance is yours. We leave at dawn’s break.”

“Is that really necessary? I mean, the elixir isn’t going anywhere, so-”

“My king is dying! For ten years I have served him! Each day I waste the king nears death…we leave at dawn.” Lucia rose, footsteps heavy as she departed. Raymond also stood, pushing in the chairs and stacking the plates neatly. He too, proceeded down the stairs. As he descended the flight of stairs to the bar, he heard a loud crack. Raymond saw Lucia, panting near the doorway. As Raymond worked his way to the entrance he could hear ragged breaths from someone on the floor. He now stood next to the knight, noticing the broken bar stool in her hand.

“Lucia! Are you alright?”

“Did you expect otherwise?” She left the broken stool next to the man clutching his nose on the floor, and began to leave. She glanced back, “Although that man could probably use some help.”

The moon above illuminated the sole path to the cottage resting in the forest clearing. Stacks of books removed from their shelves were spread throughout Raymond’s room. A bag lay open on his bed, half filled with various books, food, and a vial which contained purple liquid that gave a faint glow. Raymond sat slumped against a wall, a book titled Transfiguration: Volume 3 lay open on his lap. His head rested on his shoulder, moth agape. Lucia entered, tiptoeing around the scattered volumes. She reached the foot of the bed, and then gave it a swift kick. Raymond woke, eyes darting in all directions.

“We’re leaving, let’s go.” Raymond wiped his nose on his bland tunic sleeve and grabbed his bag. He stumbled through the room, shoving books into his burlap sack as he went. He then took his cloak from its hook and proceeded into the night. Raymond then remembered. Setting his bag on threshold, Raymond rushed back inside. Sounds reverberated, and then he reappeared. A book bound by a leather strap, a pendant in the shape of a phoenix, and a vial liquid that continually changed color were held in his hands.

“Are you ready now?” Lucia asked; her foot tapping on the cobblestone path. Raymond nodded. Ready for departure, the duo entered the forest; due east for Phoenicia. Yet not even Lucia’s trained ears could hear the footsteps following them.

The moon lit Raymond’s face as Lucia and he traveled east. Surrounded by trees towering into the sky, they had only what moonlight the pines let through to illuminate their pate. Without warning, two figures dropped from the trees in front of them. A third emerged from behind a tree, his nose oddly disfigured.

“Looks like you didn’t get beat hard enough last time, eh?” taunted Lucia.

“Lucia!” pleaded Raymond, “Please don’t anger them!”

“It’s a little late ‘fer that laddie!” Spoke the brigand with the broken nose. The foe took his tomahawk that hung from his waist, hurling it at the pair. Lucia grabbed Raymond, tackling him to the ground; the axe sailing overhead. Lucia’s bosoms rested on his chest, her hair mingling with his. For that split second, Raymond felt the happiest he had ever felt. Yet as soon as it had started, it ended as Lucia picked him up off the ground.

She now wielded her lance, advancing towards the man who previously tried to kill her. Her movements were like that of a dancer, distracting Raymond once again. And again, reality came back to haunt him as he realized the two other foes had cornered him against a pine.

“Any words from ya before we spill yer guts?” one asked, brandishing a knife. Raymond spoke one word.

“Burn.” Two fireballs shot from Raymond’s palms, hitting his foes dead on. Raymond saw Lucia standing over her foe, her lance at his throat.

“Next time, don’t cross me, or my lance will be drinking your blood.” She turned and walked away, leaving the man standing behind her. Angered by his defeat, the foe took an axe from a fallen comrade and idiotically charged. Raymond pushed Lucia behind him, and spoke one word.

A wall of light had formed, the axe head having turned to dust that scattered across the ground. The brigand dropped the remainder of the axe and fled. He’s a sage? Lucia thought. How could she have been so ignorant of what was going on around her? She was a knight of Ivanstrum! This was what she was trained to notice, yet she had blatantly failed…no, she had only made a small mistake...she could only hope Raymond would forgive h-.

“You okay Lucia?” Raymond asked, interrupting her thoughts.

“Y-yeah, I’m fine. Sorry for not treating you with more respect, I should have known you were a sage.”

“Sage?”

“You know….those spells you performed?”

“Actually, the fire was the only spell. The pendant was what protected us.”

“…Then what are you?”

“Mage in training.”

“Don’t mages have to attend Magus School?”

“Not always.” Lucia was still full of questions, yet she figured she shouldn’t be any more persistent with him. Leaning against a tree, sweat pouring from his body, the mage gasped for breath. A simple fire spell had tired him, and he was supposed to obtain an object of legend! He would have to start training…he would not let Titus down!
© Copyright 2007 Phoenix (fictionalguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327380-Chapter-1Genesis