*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327522-Does-It-Matter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Philosophy · #1327522
If there is a purpose, we will never no it, so we might as well enjoy it.
DOES IT MATTER?
I wrote this to help clear my perspective on life.  I was attempting to see what I feel is and is not important.  I want to stop running from pain and/or chasing happiness and just be.  Most of my exploration comes through questions, not answers; therefore most of this writing is made up of questions.  I ask you to ponder every question here, you do not need to literally write your answers, just think of them, and then ask yourself why you answered yes… or no.  That is what the “Why” beneath each question is for.  I find great enlightenment through following every “answer” of mine with a question.

IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE ABOUT TO DIE…

Would it really matter what brand your shirts were?
Why?

Would it really matter what car/s you drove?
Why?

Would it really matter what your house/s looked like?
Why?

Would it really matter what your job/s paid?
Why?

Would it really matter if you understood how to tie your shoe?
Why?

Would it really matter if you understood how to play football?
Why?

Would it really matter if you understood how to fix a car?
Why?

Would it really matter if you understood how to build a rocket ship?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were attractive?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were respected by your boss?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were famous?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were the ruler the world?
Why?

Would it really matter how many healthy meals you ate?
Why?

Would it really matter how many cigarettes you smoked?
Why?

Would it really matter how many secrets you owned?
Why?

Would it really matter how many people you “helped”?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were a productive person?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were an open-minded person?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were an honest person?
Why?

Would it really matter if you were an intelligent person?
Why?

WOULD IT REALLY MATTER WHAT YOU DID WITH YOUR LIFE?
WHY?

WOULD IT REALLY MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVED LIFE TO BE?
WHY?

WOULD IT REALLY MATTER WHAT YOU PERCEIVED LIFE TO BE?
WHY?

WOULD IT REALLY MATTER WHAT YOU THOUGHT MATTERED?
WHY?

There are very few things we know…
We know that we currently perceive this “existence” or “reality”.
And we know that the “existence” or “reality” we currently perceive is going to end.
With that being said I ask again…
Does anything really, truly matter?
If your answer is yes… WHY?
If your answer is no… WHY?

It seems to me that if I were entirely honest with myself right before my death, my honest answer to every one of those questions would be “No”.  If we die, and that is literally the end; no more consciousness, energy, spirit or etc.; than why would it matter?  If I, or we, are just a blip in time and space that never before existed, then suddenly came into existence, then suddenly never existed again, what would be the point to that? It would be the same as if we had never existed in the first place!  Or… If we die, and that is not the end; continuing consciousness, energy, spirit or etc.; than why would it matter?  If I, or we, are infinitely transforming and flowing in and out of different form/s of existences, what would be the point to this existence/reality?  This particular existence/reality still would have ended for me and all at some point or another.  I am asking you to really ponder this… If a perception of something ENDS,  D O E S    A N Y T H I N G    Y O U    P E R C E I V E              R E A L L Y    M A T T E R ? 

I do not have the answer, only MY perception.
Originally, as I began thinking about and questioning these things I of course got scared and depressed; but why?  Even if nothing matters like I THINK IT SHOULD, why is that so bad? Why am I so afraid of that?  Why do I have to fill my fears with purpose and meaning to be comfortable?  What if I just accepted that I don’t know any purpose or meaning; I am simply here, right now, perceiving this?  Nothing more, nothing less.  It’s all anyone can honestly claim to know.  If I truly follow my honesty, this is not scary, it is freeing!  I am now free to do anything!  What is funny about this is, I do not want to go vandalize, steal, kill or cause harm; I just want to explore!  Explore this moment, reality, or existence.  Those things we PERCEIVE as negative do not matter, there is no need for them.  And we can even say the same for the things we PERCEIVE as positive, they do not matter, and there is no need for them either.  There is suddenly no labels, no reason to hurt or help.  If I am simply in this moment; accepting it for what it is, a moment; I see I have no responsibility to help or hurt others, they are having the moment they have.  Imagine if everyone had this perspective of no real perspective; we all accepted that we knew we did not know; we all become equal.  Then there is literally no need to help or hurt anyone or anything; because we are EQUAL!  This concept of no more concepts, this theory of no more theories, this belief of no more beliefs, feels so freeing to me.  But does that really matter?  I am not sure it does, and that is exactly why I enjoy it. 
© Copyright 2007 Boltillect (boltillect at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327522-Does-It-Matter