*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327904-Cooper-Evyns
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Sonny
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #1327904
Cooper Evyns is just an ordinary teen except for her home life.
Cooper Evyns





            A girl walked down the street, between two rows of dilapidated houses in one of the worst parts of town. This part of LA had been run-down, and getting worse for years. This girl lived in the worst of the houses. The house with overgrown grass and tarnished door hinges. Chipping paint and a rusting car sitting in the driveway didn’t make it look anymore presentable. Some of the windows were boarded and the others had broken glass. Shingles were falling from the roof and leaves clogged the gutters. The deck was rotting and many of the panels were missing, leaving holes every few inches. The whole place looked like nobody lived in it, but the residents of the street knew better. It had only been inhabited for a year. A teenage girl lived there with who they thought was her alcoholic father. The mother was nowhere to be found, said to have run off with a millionaire and didn’t do anything but send money to help her daughter. Although she didn’t send much, the state accepted her paying that amount. It helped pay for the girls schooling. The state sent money along with her mother, to help with food and other things. Unfortunately, most of that money went into paying for the father’s alcohol. The neighbors didn’t know if she ate or not, and they wanted to do something to help, but didn’t know what.
            The girl walked up to her front door, avoiding the holes, and kicked it opened, literally. It fell to the floor with a loud thud, raising dust from the layered floor. Cooper Evyns lifted the door up and set it back in the frame with a sigh. She walked passed the living room where her father was asleep on the couch, a vodka bottle dangling out of one of his hands, and trudged up the stairs. She threw her bag across her bedroom and plopped on her bed. Cooper lay there, staring at the water-stained ceiling. She sighed again.
            She was about the get up and do the ton of homework that she had, when she heard her dad calling for her. She wished he would at least call her by their last name or something, not just call her ‘girl’. She slowly made her way down the stairs to the living room. She stopped in front of the musty old couch and stared down at her father.

            “Hey, I’m out of vodka,” he said. His words were slurred and he looked like he was having a difficult time forming them in the first place. “Check came. Cash it and get more stuff, girl. Hurry back, don’t wake me when you come in.”

            “Sure,” was all Cooper said. She riffled through the mailbox looking for the check. She found it and ripped it open. Stuffing the check in her back pocket, she made her way to the bank to cash it. She walked through the revolving door and up to the clerk she knew and smiled at him.

            “Hey, Coop. What’s up?” Damian asked.

            “Just cashing this damn check.” She answered and signed the back of it with a flourish.

            “Off to the gas station?” the clerk asked, a frown on his face.

            Cooper smirked and handed Damian the check. “Yup, buying the old man some more booze.”

            “What’cha getting’?” he asked, handing her the cash.

            “What do you think? ‘Hey, I’m out of vodka. Check came. Cash it and buy more stuff, girl. Hurry back, don’t wake me up when you come in.’ Sure, Dad, why not? I don’t have anything better to do than go and get you alcohol so you can sleep all day while I’m doing all the work. Yeah, I’ll be happy to help you out, even though you don’t do a damn thing for me in return. But, in order for me to be the bigger person, I’ll just help you out until I turn 18 and get the hell out of this joint!”

            “Ha, ha. Yeah, I know what you mean. I’d help you if I could, but you know. I’d probably be charged with kidnapping or something.” Damian admitted.

            “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. You would if you could, but you can’t. I know the whole story. I’d help myself too, but, you know, with the way he is he’d bring me back home and never let me out of the house,” Cooper said.

            “Yeah. Well, I think the people behind you are getting impatient. So, I’ll see ya around. Don’t go getting into any trouble now, Coop.” Damian said in a stern voice.

            “You know me,” Cooper said, walking away. “I’m a perfect little angel.”

            “Yeah, right,” Damian mumbled humorously, shaking his head.

            Cooper then walked to the gas station in the lesser part of town. She walked through the door and smile at that clerk, whom she knew as well. She grabbed a bottle of vodka from the fridge and trudged up to the counter.

            “Hey, Coop. What’s shaking?” Ayden asked.

            “Sup, Ayd?” the two friends slapped each others hands and then pounded them.

            “Oh, the usual, you know.” He said ringing up the liquor.

            “Yeah, I know what ya mean.” Cooper took the wad of cash out of her pocket and counted out the bills.

            “I see you’ve seen Damian,” Ayden said, taking the money.

            “Yup.”

            “And I see he gave you some extra cash,” he said, handing her the change.

            “Yup. And a good thing too, I was running low. I just hope I can find Brody before I head home.” Cooper said, pocketing her change.

            “No need to. He’s in the back sleeping off a hangover, c’mon.” Ayden led Cooper around the counter and into the back storage room. There was Brody, on a makeshift mattress of shirts and aprons. His dirty blond hair lay spread out over the material. One arm covered his face, a Coors Light bottle dangling out of his hand.

            “Ugh, he disgusts me. Get up, you lazy bum,” Cooper said, kicking the bottle out of his hand. He jerked awake and blinked up at her. He smiled at the frown on her face and stood up.

            “Hey, Coop. How’s life treating ya?” Brody said.

            “Terribly, what do you think?” Cooper said staring into his blue eyes.

            “I know. So, you need more, huh? Well, what will it be this time?” Brody asked.

            “Oh, the usual, I guess,” she answered, digging the cash back out of  her back pocket.

            “Right-o-”

            “Not in here! There are cameras, you know!” Ayden interrupted.

            “So, if you think that you’re gonna get in trouble then get out. But I’d rather do this where there is only one measly camera and not tons of people,” Cooper said, looking at Ayden, and handing the cash to Brody.

            Ayden left, as somebody had just walked in.

            “Right, so that was sixteen ounces of crystal meth for you, and a ton of money for me.” They traded drugs for money and money for drugs. Brody counted the bills and Cooper pocketed her package.

            “Thanks, Brody, I’ll need a lift tonight so I can work.” She hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. He turned his head so that their lips were centimeters apart. Brody went to kiss her but she pulled away and out of his arms. “Don’t, Broad. It didn’t work out the first time, it isn’t going to a second time. Just let it go,” Cooper said and walked back out to the front of the store.

            “See ya in a few hours, Ayden. Ya’ll take care now, ya here,” she said, putting on a fake southern accent and blowing a kiss at her two friends. Cooper walked back to her house and kicked the door open once again, oddly not waking her father. She set the vodka in front of him, writing a note in the process: Dad, here ya go. I have the rest of the cash and I have to work at the gas station tonight so see ya later. Signed, your daughter.

            She then bounded up the stairs and started on her homework. She was finished and done eating by six thirty. She hopped in the shower and was out at six thirty-five. She dressed and threw her hair into a ponytail. Cooper walked down the stairs and found her father sitting up on the couch, the bottle at his lips.

            “Where are you going?” he asked, setting the bottle on the dirty coffee table.

            “Didn’t you read the note? I have to work,” Cooper answered slipping on her silver on white Adios.

            “Yeah, I did. I just forgot. Where’s the cash?” he asked in a sterner voice.

            “With me. Why?”

            “Give it to me.” He said, standing up.

            “Why? You don’t need it.” Cooper answered, backing away.

            “Yes, I do,” he growled, stepping up to her.

            “What for?” she asked, defiantly.

            “I just need it. Now give it to me!” he yelled.

            “NO!” Cooper yelled back.

            Suddenly he grabbed her around the neck with his huge hands and threw her against the wall, knocking the wind out of her. Her father back-handed her twice before he asked, “where is it?” When she didn’t answer, he actually punched her in the face. He gave her a bloody nose and a black eye. He tightened his hand around her neck. “Where the hell is it?” he shouted. He tightened his hand again.

            Cooper gasped for air. “In-in my-my back-back pocket,” she gasped out. Her father put his hand in her back pocket and yanked out the wad of cash.

            “You ever keep this from me again, so help me god.” He back-handed her again and let her slide to the floor. She lay there sucking in air, trying to catch her breath. Her father laid back on the couch and quickly fell asleep. She stood up and staggered out the door and to the gas station.

            Cooper walked in and found that Brody and Ayden were still there. As soon as they saw her, they rushed up and launched a round of twenty questions. She answered only one of them. “I…” she hesitated, “fell.” She finished.

            “Bullshit!” the two boys shouted at the same time. Then Ayden continued, “I knew there was something wrong when you didn’t show up at seven, but I had no idea. You have to go to the doctor, Coop.” He tried to touch her bruising face, but she jerked away.

                        “I’m fine. It’s just a couple of bruises. ‘Sides, he might get pissed.” Cooper added, stepping behind the counter, ready to start her shift.

            “What was it about?” Brody asked, speaking for the first time. He looked really worried and it showed clearly on his face. Even though she might not feel the same way about him, Brody still had enormous feelings for Cooper.

            “The money, what else? Has Dame showed up yet?” she asked walked to the back of the store. She grabbed a bag of ice and a box of baggies and paid for them. She put some ice in a baggie and put it on her face. Cooper sighed as her face went numb.

            “Not yet. He probably hooked up with Carla on the way here,” Ayden answered.

            “God, I hate her. She’s annoying and conceited and a fucking bitch. What does he see in her?” Cooper scowled.

            “Jeez, Coop. I’ve never known you to use such harsh words.” Brody chuckled.

            “Jealous much?” Ayden said, imitating her love of the word, much.

            “Shut up! No, I’m not jealous. I just don’t get why he hooks up with those snobby, stupid, sons of-” she suddenly stopped. Ayden and Brody were staring wide-eyed behind her. She whirled around to see Damian and Carla standing in the doorway of the gas station. “Hey, guys. What’s happening?” she put on a fake smile.

            Carla glared, and Damian gasped. “What happened?” he asked as he saw her face.

            “Didn’t you here?” Brody asked. “She fell.” He grinned at her.

            “Shut up, jackass!” she threw her bag of ice and nailed him in the face.

            “Love you too, Babe.” He said, rubbing his face with a grin.

            “Ugh, you disgust me, you know that, Brody?” Damian said, handing another bag of ice to Cooper.

            “Sure do. I disgust everybody!”

            “You say that like it’s a good thing,” Cooper mumbled. “Hey, Carla, how’s it hanging?” she smiled.

            “Oh, great,” Carla answered sarcastically, crossing her arms.

            “That’s good.” Cooper replied.

            “Whatever.” Carla hopped up in the counter and crossed her legs.

            “Hey, get off! I’m working here!”

            “Oh, is that what you’re doing? I thought you were busy getting your ass kicked by your drunken father,” Carla replied, jumping off.

            “Just because my face looks bad doesn’t mean it looks like a horse’s ass, like yours.” Cooper shot back.

            “I’m sorry, if mine looks like a horse’s ass, what does yours look like? A donkey’s?”

            Brody burst out laughing, Damian sighed, and Ayden looked shocked. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t here that. I was too busy trying to get through the mountain of make-up on your face.” Brody laughed even harder. “I’m curious. How does it feel to have all of that foundation caked over all those zits of yours? I mean, it must be murder, just trying to stand up and keep standing.”

            “At least I’m not the one sleeping with all the guys in town, especially the twenty-four year old drug deal-”

            She didn’t get to finish. Cooper had stepped up to her and hammered her fist into her face. Carla fell to the floor fast, knocked out. “Damn it, Cooper!” Damian said, rushing to his girlfriend’s side. A black eye was forming on the right side of her face, and marks were indented where Cooper’s rings had contacted with her skin.

            “She deserved what she got. She doesn’t need to come in here and disrespect me. ‘Sides I never liked her stuck-up face anyway, maybe that will change it, and her attitude,” Cooper said, stepping behind the counter. She rubbed her neck, but took her hand away fast. It hurt too much to touch it at all, but she still did. She sucked her breath as she touched her skin tenderly, great.

            Suddenly Damian was at her side. She stared into his blue-gray eyes. Her heart was pounding. She didn’t know why, but she was holding her breath. Something about how intense his eyes pierced hers softened something inside her for a moment, but only one. She looked away.

            He touched her neck. His soft, warm touch seared her skin. Cooper inhaled sharply, and pulled away from his touch. “Your neck is bruised.” He said in a worried voice.

            “Yeah, so? It’ll be gone in a few days. I’m fine,” Cooper said pushing passed him. He grabbed her arm. “Damian, you can’t do anything to help me. You-”

            “I know,” he cut her off, “But you can help yourself.”

            “OK, so what am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to run away and live in a cardboard box? Live off of leftovers in a dumpster? Use my only sweatshirt as a blanket? Beg for money? Only bathe in a freezing lake, with no soap or anything; or even not at all? Lie? Cheat? Steel? What do you expect me to do if I help myself? Be forced into prostitution? Sleep with undeserving men for money? Be reduced down to nothing while my friends sit in school and at work, not helping?” She felt a shudder run through her friends. “Where the same clothes all day, everyday? Letting them become dirty and ragged? Living in dark alleys? Roaming the streets at night? Looking for anything to get money? Doing all this while my father lies on his fat ass and drinks all day? Not wondering whether I am hurt or OK? Whether I am dying or dead? Not wondering if I’m going to come back or stay away? Not caring if anything happens to me, or doesn’t? Me, I’m wondering where the best place is to sleep that night. What the weather is going to be like tonight?” Cooper choked on tears. “Or-or would you like me to result to murder? Or even suicide? What do you expect me to do, Damian? What would you like me to do? What did you have in mind? Living in a cardboard box? Reduced to prostitution? Lying? Cheating? Stealing? Murder? Suicide? What would you prefer I do, Damian?

            “How am I supposed to live like that? How am I supposed to continue living with myself if I know that it was my choice? My choice to run away. To run away with nowhere to go. To run away with nothing. Nothing, but my hope that I’ll make it through the night. Nothing but the clothes on my back and prayer in my heart. Is that how you expect me to live, Damian? Believe me, it isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. I’ve lived like that, and I never-” Cooper stiffened and cut her self off, realizing what she was saying. More tear sprang to her eyes as she covered her mouth with one hand. She stared at Ayden, Brody, and Damian. She felt like she was going to puke.

            They all looked shocked. Their mouths were hanging open, and their eyes wide. They didn’t know what to say, neither did Cooper. She couldn’t believe she had revealed her past. She staggered as memories flashed through her mind. Cold and rainy nights. Thin blankets. Cardboard boxes. Cold ground. No food. Starvation. Her mother’s dull eyes, but smiling face. Always a fake smile. The lying. The cheating. The stealing. Finally the murder. Then the suicide. Standing there. Between two bodies. Waiting. Crying. Hoping. Praying. More waiting. Finally leaving. Not returning. Not wanting to remember.

            Cooper staggered again. Her back hit the wall and she slid down it. She tried to hold in the tears, but her body wouldn’t listen. She choked on a sob and laid her head on her knees, wrapping her arms around her legs. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder and she screamed. Breathing hard she looked into the eyes of all three friends. Damian took her hand and hoisted her to her feet. He embraced her. Not a hug that said ‘nice to see you again’, and not a big bear hug. But a hug that said he was there for her and he would stop at nothing to help her.

            Cooper sobbed into his shoulder. Damian rubbed the back of her hair and whispered words into her ear. “It’s OK. I’m here. Everything will be fine. Nobody will know about this, I promise.”

            Distantly, Cooper heard Ayden say, “See, I told you Dame has a thing for Coop. I mean look at them, they make a really cute couple.”

            “Dude,” Brody replied. “Don’t say cute, it doesn’t suit you.” He laughed.

            Cooper’s sobs started to subside as she took in what they were saying. “They both disgust me,” she mumbled.

            She didn’t know it but Damian heard her. “I know, me too,” he whispered into her ear, she jumped. “It’s OK. But you know, they both are right.”

            “How so?”

            “Well, Brody is right, ‘cute’ does not suit Ayden. And Ayden is right, I do have a thing for you.”

            Suddenly she pushed him away and glared at him. The three boys stood stunned again. “Damian, we aren’t right for each other.”

            “Coop, Ayd was just-”

            “Shut up, Brody! No, Ayden was not joking, he was right. Damian has a thing for me, he just told me.” She paused. “We are not right for each other, Damian. It will not work, I’m telling you. We are just friends; we could never be anything more. I’m sorry, but-”

            “Then, tell me if this is right,” Damian interrupted her. Then he kissed her. She stiffened, then relaxed, then remembered what she had just said. She pushed him away.

            “What did I just say? We can’t be anything more than frie-” He kissed her again. She pushed him away. “Damian!”

            “Seriously, guys. We don’t wanna stand here and watch you make out. Oh, and, Dame, your date left,” Ayden said, pointing toward the door.

            “Yeah, see. Go after your girlfriend.” Cooper said, pushing him toward the door.

            “She is not my girlfriend, Coop. She never has been. She’s just some girl I hook up with sometimes, but we aren’t going steady,” Damian replied, stopping her from pushing him out the door.

            “Does she know that?”

            “Well…” he trailed off.

            “Exactly. Damian, how am I supposed to know that I won’t become just some girl you hook up with? I may sleep around, but if I’m going steady with a guy he isn’t just some guy I hook up with. Look,” she said seeing the look on his face. “What if I told you that it wasn’t the best time for me? That I have other things on my mind?”

            “I’d tell you that you were just saying that to keep me from dating you,” Damian replied.

            “But, I’m not. I really do have other things to worry about than pleasing a boy. Damian, you have to understand.” Cooper said, pleading with her eyes for him to understand.

            Her pleading didn’t work. His eyes turn cold and he crossed his arm. “What, do you have a husband or something from when you lived in a cardboard box, do you?” he said frigidly. Cooper slapped him across the face. “That was uncalled for!” he shouted at her.

            “So was what you said! So tell me is this anymore called for.” Then she punched him. Her hand making contact with his nose, producing a satisfying crack. He fell to the floor, covering his nose with his hands. He took them away and saw that a layer of blood had transferred from his face to his hands.

            He looked up into Coopers green eyes, which were as cold as his were, though they held tears. Damian glared at her then tripped her, sliding his leg across the floor and into her ankle. She landed flat on her back and he heard the resounding Oof as the air left her lungs.

            Cooper gasped for breath. When she caught it, she looked up into Damian’s face. His eyes were cold and his jaw was set. His face was stony and his nostrils flared. His gaze penetrated her like a stabbing knife. As she saw the look in his eyes, her heart skipped a beat. She had never seen him gaze at her like that. There was so much hurt and hatred in the look he gave her that she didn’t know what to say. She squinted up at him, trying to see passed his eyes and into his heart. Trying to get a glimpse of what was troubling him.

            Damian saw her squint at him and realized what an ass he had been. His face softened and he extended his hand to help her up. She gave him a look of surprise, but it soon vanished as she took his hand. He pulled Cooper into a hug and quickly released her.

            “I’m sorry,” he said looking away, guilt written all over his face.

            “Damian,” Cooper grabbed his arm. “What if I told you that it would be alright if you took me on one date?”

            His face lit up. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Ayden and Brody shake their heads. “You’re giving him false hope, Cooper,” Ayden said.

            “Seriously, Coop. Knowing him, he’ll probably have you in his bed by nightfall.” Brody laughed.

            Cooper just shook her head at what they said.  “So, what do you say?” she looked at Damian.

            “Yes!” he said a little too quickly.

            Cooper laughed. “You sounded like a girl.” She shook her head. He looked embarrassed as she smiled at him. “It’s alright, we still love you.”

            “Speak for yourself!” Ayden and Brody said simultaneously.

            “Whatever. Ayden, look after the store for a second. I have to do something.” Cooper said as she headed for the bathroom.

            “Like what?” he asked in return.

            “Jeez, can’t a girl pee when she’s gotta go? Be back in a jiff.” Cooper slid into the bathroom and locked the door, but not before she heard Brody say, “Man, she’s got issues. Why are you attracted to her anyway?” she didn’t hear Damian’s response as she turned on the water. She looked at her face in the mirror, and was revolted at how she looked. There was a black eye, and a bruise still forming on the left side of her face.  Her nose was broken, and she had a split lip.  Not to mention the bruises shaping on her neck.  There was blood all over the bottom half of her face, from her nose and lip.           

            Cooper washed her face, but kept the water on.  She dug the drugs out of her pocket along with an x-acto knife.  She stared at the knife, then at her wrist.  There were already many scratches on it from other times like this.  Finally, she made up her mind and made a long shallow cut over the scars she already had.  She bit her lip to keep herself from crying out.  At least this pain took her mind off of the pain of the memories that were still flooding her mind.  She watched as blood oozed from the cut.  When the pain stopped, she wrapped a gauze strip from the First-Aid kit around her wrist and taped it. 

            She looked back into the mirror and realized that her nose was still broken.  She knew that she should just leave it and let a doctor sort it out.  But, then that doctor would ask questions, and that would lead to an investigation and what not.  So, Cooper did the only thing she knew to do.  She placed both of her hands on either side of her nose and took a deep breath.  She moved her hands like she had done before, and the bones fell back into place with a pain she only knew once or twice.  Cooper cried out as it felt like the pain ripped through her whole body.  She fell against the wall, trying not to cry.

            Out in the front of the store, the three boys heard Cooper yell, over the water, and rushed to the door.  Damian tried to open it but it was locked.  They heard Cooper let off a round of swear words so audible, the whole town probably heard. Suddenly, they heard her scream and this time it was a surprise. They had never heard her scream like that before.  Then as soon as it had began, it stopped.

A few minutes later, Cooper unlocked the door and stepped out of the bathroom.  She looked into the faces of her friends. They stared back, completely horrified by what they had heard. They looked down at her chest, where she was cradling her left hand.   

“Cooper! What the hell?” Damian said, looking from her hand to her face and back again.

“I-I,” she stammered.

Then, Ayden said, not even looking at the tears in her eyes, “What the hell did you do to your hand, Coop? And what’s with the gauze strip? You didn’t have that when you came in.”

Suddenly, Cooper burst into tear again, sinking to the floor. Damian was at her side in seconds. “Coop, come on. We need to go to the hospital.”

“No, I don’t need to go,” she said.

“Yes, you do. I’ll make up some story for you. They will have no need to ask questions. I just need you to do something for me,” Damian said, hoisting Cooper to her feet.

“What?”

“I need you to get your nose bleeding again for this to work right,” he answered.

“What?” she asked again, this time surprised, her voice still chocked up with tears.

“C’mon, Coop, please. You don’t want them asking questions about your father, do you?”

“Well…” Cooper trailed off.

“See. Now, how are we going to do this?” Damian asked, looking into Cooper’s eyes.

“Simple. Punch me,” she answered, stepping back so he could hit her.

“What? No! I’m not going to hit you!” Damian exclaimed.

“Yes, you are. And if you don’t, I wont go out with you,” she said defiantly.

“Fine, but not it here. Cameras.” The four friends walked out side, into the darkness. They walked around the building, so as to avoid the cameras outside.

For the first time in his life, Damian hesitated. He drew his arm back and was ready to hit his friend, when he just stopped, hand in mid-air. “C’mon, Damian! I need to go to the hospital. I cant keep my hand busted forever, you know!” Cooper almost yelled. Then, as she crossed her arms, Damian’s hand came into contact with her face.

Cooper fell back against the wall, clutching her nose with her one good hand. She didn’t cry out, but closed her eyes against the pain. “Coop, are you OK?” Damian asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she answered, her eyes still shut. She felt like she was going to faint. That was never a good thing. Cooper stayed still, trying to keep herself from falling into unconsciousness.

Vaguely, she heard Damian say, “OK, Ayden, I need you to go back into the store and take over Coop’s shift.”

“Dame, no. I’ll just close up, not many people come after nine anyway. It’ll be fine, I’ll tell Mr. Baker that Cooper was hurt and needed to go to the hospital, which is true. He never watches the tapes anyway,” Ayden finished.

“Fine, whatever. OK, go lock up and meet us back here. Brody, punch me,” Damian said as Ayden walked to the front of the store.

“What?” Brody questioned, surprised. “No! I’m not going to hit you.”

“Just do it, it won’t work out for the story I’m going to feed to the doctors, if you don’t hit me. Please, for Cooper,” Damian said.

Before Brody could hit him though, Cooper audibly whispered, “Damian…” and fainted, making every one of her friends rush to her side.



Cooper came to, as lights flashed and sirens blared. She opened here eyes weakly, and realized that she was being carried into the ER by Damian and Brody. Ayden falling in behind. He walked up to the counter and started to talk.

“Nurse, please help us! My friends got into this humongous fight. One of us is beaten pretty bad!” Ayden said drastically, his own black eye forming.

“Which one is the worst?” the nurse asked.

“Cooper, she was protecting her younger brother from some drug dealers that he had been involved with,” Ayden answered.

“OK, let me see.” Damian and Brody stepped up to the counter, Cooper in between. As soon as the nurse got a glimpse of the bruises, blood, and broken hand, she exclaimed, “Oh, my God! Hurry! Follow me! A doctor will be in to see you as soon as possible!”

The four friends followed the nurse in through a door to the private rooms. They walked into one, and Brody and Damian sat Cooper down on the bed. “Dame, wha-?” Cooper started, the room starting to get blurry.

“Shhh! Stay with me, Coop. Maybe this wasn’t a good idea after all,” Damian shot over his shoulder to the two others in the room. A split lip making his voice thick.

“No, goo’ idea. I nee’ blood. Gods, feel li’e crap,” Cooper said, making her friends laugh.

“Just stay conscious. I’m sorry Coop, I didn’t mean for this to happen,” Damian said, kneeling in front of her.

“It not your faul’. Mine. Should have ne’er kept mo’ey,” Cooper said, swaying a little.

“Whoa! Stay up!” Damian said. Just then the doctor came in.

As soon as he saw what they looked like, his eyes widened. “Holy...! What happened?” he asked.

“Well, see…my friend’s little brother was in some trouble with some drug dealers-”

The doctor cut him off, “was he doing drugs?”

“No, nothing like that, Cooper would never allow it. Anyway, this huge fight broke out and Cooper here got the worst of it, even though she’s a girl,” Ayden finished, casting worried glances at her.

“Wait a minute! This Cooper is a girl?” the doctor asked surprised.

“Um, yeah,” Cooper said, although her nausea made her duh voice weak. “And she’s sitting right here.”

“Jesus!” the doctor exclaimed, letting his eyes catalogue bruises and blood. Although, to Cooper it sounded fainter than when he was talking before. As the doctor continued, his voice got farther and farther away, as if he and she were moving in the opposite directions. The room became blurry again, and suddenly everything started to fall into a shadow, like a cloud drifting over a big valley.

Again, Cooper let her self slip into unconsciousness.



Cooper woke up to the smell of antiseptic and somebody’s hot breath on her cheek. She peeled her eyes open, and had to shut them again from the blinding light. She slowly opened her eyes and looked to her left. The person that was breathing on her was Damian, and he looked pretty beat up himself. Suddenly, everything that had happened before she fainted came back to her, though blurry. Cooper sat up quickly, almost making Damian fall of the bed, but he started to stir. She suddenly realized where she was. She was in a hospital.

            Damian sat up, as a doctor walked in. “Good morning,” he said cheerfully.

            “Hi,” Cooper responded wearily.

            “I’m Dr. Hall. You were pretty beat up when your boyfriend brought you in here-” boyfriend? “-and he doesn’t look as bad as you. Now, you lost a lot of blood, you have a broken nose, a split lip, a black eye, a bruised neck, and a broken wrist. Can you recall what happened last night?”

            Cooper thought long and hard, trying desperately to remember. For all the memories she had, she couldn’t recall what had happened less than twenty-four hours ago. “I-I’m sorry, I can’t remember,” Cooper whispered, looking down at her hands. Seeing one arm in a cast and the other looking almost normal, except for some bruises, made a wave of pain flow through her body.

            “I-I just remember punching something really hard, and then feeling pain. And then…nothing.”

            “Nothing before that?” the doctor asked.

            “Nothing,” Cooper said, still looking at her hands.

            “Well, you would have had to punch something really hard to break your hand like that. Do you remember what, or who, you punched? Your boyfriend said you guys got into a pretty big fight.”

            “I-I don’t know,” Cooper stuttered again, “maybe I punched a wall, thinking it was a person. I have no clue.” Suddenly, something came back to her and her eyes widened. It was a good thing she was looking down. “Where are my clothes?” she asked, urgently.

            “Over there,” Dr. Hall pointed, “we were going to wash them for you, but your boyfriend said that he would take care of it. He seemed pretty persistent about it, too.”

            The doctor looked over at Damian, who had gotten up and stood at the window, looking out. “He was really worried about you. You should have seen him when you guys came in here. Also, those other friends of yours were pretty concerned as well. I’d keep a hold of that, you never know when you might need somebody to talk to.”

            “Thanks for the psychology, Dr. Phil,” Cooper answered with irritation, finally looking up, “Now, when can I get out of here?”

            “Well, I don’t see why you can’t leave today, but I want you to eat something before you go; to get some sugar and fluids into you. I’ll have a nurse bring something in right away,” the doctor added when he saw the annoyance in her eyes. He walked out of the room, calling to the nurse as soon as he shut the door.

            Cooper and Damian stood and sat in silence for what felt like hours. Finally, Damian couldn’t take it anymore. “Coop, what were you doing with drugs and an x-acto knife in your back pocket?” he asked.

            For the first time while talking to him, she hesitated. Everything had come so easy to her when talking to him; it unnerved her.

© Copyright 2007 Sonny (silentecho911 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327904-Cooper-Evyns