*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1328130-Brotherhood-of-the-Dark-Path--Ch-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Fantasy · #1328130
Medieval/Fantasy - Good Vs Evil
The evening breeze blew soft, warm, and inviting, carrying within it the scent of fresh cut hay and summer rain. The meadow grass and wild flowers waved gentle greetings to the stars as the breeze lay kisses on their faces. The sun set to the west, its golden, ruby, and amber fingers reaching up one final time to skim the clouds above before it crawled off to bed. Summer evenings such as this were seldom to be enjoyed in the small country villages, especially during the harvest. Today was special though, and the town bustled with the evenings activities. A gypsy fair had been welcomed into the town square, brimming with stalls of glittering wares and delicious foods. Traveling performers positioned themselves strategically throughout the square, gathering to them crowds of laughter. Magicians and pupeteers danced up and down the make-shift avenues of stalls with flocks of enchanted children chasing after.

Everyone appeared to be enjoying the festival but as the evening activities flourished under the growing moon, two slipped off to enjoy the quiet peace of the nearby meadows. From those meadows a soft feminine laugh escaped from its owner like a chorus of tiny silver bells. The voice called out to its persuer tauntingly, its melodic notes carrying across the breeze.

"You'll never find me!" Then with rustle of gown and grass the young maiden disappeared the hide.

In response a rough, playful growl sounded by a patch of trees as the form of a striking young man emerged. His steel blue eyes sought his companions form as he spoke, "I'll find you Madi! You know I will!" He then stood still, grinning as he waited for his prey to reveal herself. Soon enough a soft giggle issued forth from the left and with another grin he took off in that direction.

Stealthily he moved through the grass, like a kitten after a playful butterfly. Night had now fallen fully over the couple like a velvet blanket, the meadow only lit by the silver light lent by the heaven's above and the crisp golden rose of the quickly growing bonfire in town.

With the first small rustle of movement he pounced, rolling across the ground like a mad man, only to resurface through the sea of gras with a meager handful of dirt. A puzzled look crossed the young mans face as he sat up, looking around himself in confusion. The attack came from behind, toppling him over as he was tackled to the ground. His attacker pinned him there, a proud and childish grin lighting her features.

"I told you, Michael Salekoth, that you would not find me!"

Michael laughed and commented defensively, "You did not give me a chance!"

"I gave you plenty of chance!" Madi remarked sharply, "Don't be a sore loser, admit it, I got the best of you!"

"Aye! Alright, I relent!"

Madi smiled with satisfaction before rolling to the side, stretching out next to her friend. Both remained there, silent for a time, staring up at the vast inky sky as it sparkled and shone proudly. Michael finally rolled to the side, propping his head up as he peered at Madi in the dark. When he spoke his voice was oddly sentimental, much more than the simple joking her normally used with her. "Madi… I love you."

A short moment of silence passed before a soft snore came from Madi. Michael sighed and leaned over his dear friend. He pulled a face at her, making sure she was truly asleep before laying down again, deep in thought as the night slowly crawled by.

The festivities in town continued full-swing. Laughter, music, and chatter lifted on the breeze to tumble across the meadow into oblivion. The sounds mixed into a lulling hum and it remained so for most of the night. It couldn't have been much past midnight when Michael realized the noise had ceased and instead been replaced with an eerie silence. The bonfire in town was still burning strongly, but the place appeared deserted. The breeze had died and clouds hung loosely through the sky, covering any light the moon had previously given. A panic began to rise in him and as Michael turned to see if Madi was still beside him a loud whistled and shot of air blew by his ear and an arrow dug into the ground in front of his eyes. Another and yet another flew by as Michael scrambled for cover while his eyes sought Madi out in the grass. She wasn't there.

Cursing, Michael rolled across the ground, a line of arrows following his course. Taking a risk of being pegged by one of those arrows, he shouted for Madi. Curiously all he received in answer was rough mocking laughter from his invisible attackers. He shouted again for Madi. The panic began to choke his breath. He gasped for air…. And He woke
© Copyright 2007 Diadots (dotters at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1328130-Brotherhood-of-the-Dark-Path--Ch-1