*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1328344-Bench-Warmer-or-Starter-on-Jesus-Team
by DocP
Rated: E · Essay · Inspirational · #1328344
Is it time to get off the bench, Pew-Warming, and become a starter for Jesus' Team?
Are You a Bench Warmer or a Starter on Jesus’ Team?

Whether academic or athletic, most people (especially males) have been engaged in competition since early childhood.  Competition necessitated that there would be winners and there would be losers.  General George Patton once said, “America loves a winner and will not tolerate a loser.”  This attitude is burned into the collective memories of many men who played any of the “high stakes” team sports like football, baseball, or basketball.  And, it wasn’t enough to simply be on the team; you were expected to be a starter, first string…riding the pine, not so affectionately known as a bench warmer, was NOT our aspiration!  Unfortunately, not all who participated could be starters, and even fewer became Superstars. 
Why couldn’t everyone become a superstar?  Obviously, a variety of factors were involved.  Just a few of these reasons included: lack of desire; low confidence level; poor practice habits; lack of tenacity; and minimal natural talent.  Without all of these traits (and many more) it was unlikely that one would progress beyond the high school or college level.

But what if you were given another chance…Another chance to become a Superstar on a Team that matters…not just in the “here and now”, not just on Friday or Saturday nights, but for eternity?  Would you sign-up to play? 
It seems that many men have experienced glory as a superstar on the athletic field or court and then become the bench warmer on Jesus’ Team.  When you examine your own heart, where do you sit?  Are you riding the pine in the pew because you lack the desire to play for Jesus?  Do you sit on the sidelines because you lack the confidence to get in and engage the game that Jesus has called you to play?  Or, have you quit practicing the plays Coach Jesus has called and just become a spectator?  Did it became too difficult and you quit altogether?

If any of these “excuses” are in your mind, heart, and spirit, shake it off and prepare for the “Thrill of Victory.”  God has given each one of us Superstar Gifts and all we are expected to do is say, “Here I am Coach Jesus…send me in...I’m ready to play on Your team!”  Your desire, belief, and dedication will be rewarded and your natural superstar gifts will kick-in.  There are no losers on Jesus’ Team…only those who have answered His call to join Him on the field and believe.
Let’s all make a commitment to transition from the bench, pew warming, to active participation as a starter for Jesus.  His team is certainly worth playing for and He is well-deserving of any bumps or bruises we sustain while playing for Him.
© Copyright 2007 DocP (docp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1328344-Bench-Warmer-or-Starter-on-Jesus-Team