*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329371-The-Affliction
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1329371
A mage afflicted by a mental condition cannot find his way home. A work in progress.
  Galabrad took the long way home from the academy, preferring the calm quite of the woodland trail over the well worn and dusty wagon trail. Galabrad often took this way home because it gave him time to think. Things were not going well for the young mage. It became increasingly difficult for him to concentrate, and his short-term memory was failing.
  "I've spent all week at the academy", he thought, "and I have not been able to memorize an single spell". He was in a desperate situation. A mage without a memory is like a king without a kingdom, utterly useless!
  These thoughts weighted heavily on his mind when he suddenly realized he did not know where he was. He stopped and looked around, trying to find something he recognized. All his efforts were in vain. "One thing is for sure", he said aloud. " I'm in a forest. He looked around once again examining the large hardwoods and listening to the noisy croaks of the tree frogs but still could not remember where he was or how he had gotten there.
  Removing his leather traveling sack from his left shoulder, he sat on a rather large and flat rock. He pulled several frayed parchment maps from his sack and began to study them. After a few minutes of looking over his maps his vision became blurry. "I'll just put these away for now", he said to himself. "I need to rest a bit and then I will continue my journey home". He rolled up the parchments carefully, bound them with a small red ribbon and then placed them neatly in his sack. He removed his cloak as he reclined on the flat, warm rock, placing it under his head for comfort and then he slept.

  He awoke suddenly to the sound of low snarling. Night had descended on the forest. Around him all he could see were gleaming yellow eyes. Mordin wolves? The realization hit him like a blow from a cave troll. He was in Mordin forest! How had he managed to wander in here? The question was pushed from his mind by more pressing matters----escaping the Mordin wolves.

                                                  To Be Continued!



 

                   
© Copyright 2007 Dragonfanatic (dragonfanatic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329371-The-Affliction