*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1330330-Unending
by Rettet
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fantasy · #1330330
A pair of children from a small village are in for more than they ever imagined...
Prologue
--------

“Three, two, one, go!”

With a storm of tiny feet, the children took off, racing along the dirt street of the village. It was the annual midsummer festival, and several activities for the children had been planned. Booths lined the market, where people could sample various goods, or buy from the nomadic traders visiting the village for the event. Many people stood along the market street, taking with their neighbors or a visitor, gathering news or gossiping about one thing or another.

As Kylic ran along, pumping his growing legs as fast as he could, he turned just in time to see a girl his own age, about ten years old, stumble and fall, skinning her knees on the rocks in the street. She was a small girl, with a lithe frame and quick feet. She had midnight black hair, and her eyes were a deep green. A lot like mine, Kylic thought as he realized this. Her name was Elyssa, he recalled, the daughter of the militia captain. Kylic had never spoken to her before, but saw here from time to time in the village. Feeling charitable, Kylic skidded to a stop and headed back towards Elyssa.

“Hey Elyssa, come on, lets finish the race!” he said, holding his hand out to help her up.

She looked up at him, smiled, and reached for his hand. As this hands met, a sudden surge of feeling rushed through them, rooting them both to the spot. For an instant they felt pure joy, pure happiness - they felt as if their souls had been irrevocably intertwined. And in that instant they knew that their destinies were inexorably woven together, that the future of one was the future the other.

And then, the feeling was gone. Neither moved, both just starring into the other’s eyes, still clasping hands.

“Kylic! Elyssa! Come on!” one of the other children shouted.

With a jolt, they both realized what was going on. Kylic pulled Elyssa up, and together they ran towards the finish line, hands still gripping each other.




Chapter 1
---------

WHAM!

With a muffled curse, Kylic tore himself from his slumber, flinging himself to his feet. Or, he would have, were he not helplessly tangled in the blankets. He tumbled from the bed, landing with a yelp on the rough wooden floor.

Peals of hysterical laughter came from somewhere near his head as he struggled to untangle himself, cursing under his breath all the while. As he finally fought free and gained his feet, he looked towards the laughter to find the face of a young girl with vivid green eyes and midnight black hair looking up at him. Her hair cascaded down the sides of her face, framing her beautiful features as she looked up at him through her eyelashes, mouth forming a wide smile as she recovered from her recent fit of laughter.

“You’re going to pay for that later, Elyssa,” Kylic mumbled as he grabbed his shirt from the floor where he’d carelessly flung it the night before, sliding it onto his well-muscled torso.

“Oh come off it,” she replied. “It’s the only way to get you out of bed these days. Besides,” she added with a smirk, “It’s very amusing.”

Kylic simply grunted in reply and sat on his bed to pull on his shoes.

“Oh, cheer up you grumpy idiot,” Elyssa admonished, sitting on the bed beside him. “You’ve got a lot to do today.”

“What are you doing in my bedroom at the crack of dawn anyway? “Kylic asked, finally beginning to shake the sleep-induced haze covering his mind.

“I was heading into the market to pick up some groceries and decided I’d stop by. Your father told me to come wake you. Something about me being the only one you wouldn’t attack,” came the reply, the mischievous smile so often seen on her face gracing him with its presence once again.

“Well, he’s right on that point I suppose,” Kylic answered. “Besides, your father would gut me like a fish if I even tried. That is, if you didn’t first.”

Elyssa snorted. “You know as well as I do that you’re my match with a blade.”

“Aye, but not your father.”

“Indeed not.”

Kylic chuckled, “Fair enough.”

“Well, tell you what, after you help me get some things at the market, we’ll have an exhibition their again.” Elyssa challenged.

“Another one? All right, but I’m not holding back this time El.”

Elyssa laughed, “Have you ever?”

“Well…no,” Kylic hesitated. “But that’s hardly the point.”

“Uh huh, sure,” Elyssa giggled. “I guess I’ll just have to shrink that swollen head back to its original size later then.”

“My lady, you wound me!” Kylic exclaimed, dramatically placing his hand to his heart. “You’ve never beaten me before, what makes you so –“

“You’ve never beaten me either,” Elyssa interrupted.

Kylic faltered. “…A valid point. In any case, we’ll see later who the better is. We had best go now, lest my father think we’re engaging in inappropriate activities and throw you out for seducing me.”

Elyssa smirked, “As if I would be the culprit.”

Kylic simply grinned back and let the subject drop. It had been a game between them from some time, but neither had acted upon it. They both had eyes for no one else, but were too young to be courting. Until today, that is. Today was the mid-summer festival, and at fifteen summers each, they were permitted to begin a courtship. Kylic intended to ask permission from her father today, in fact, as tradition suggested. It was something he’d been both dreading and looking forward to for many months now.

They both stood and Elyssa led the way from his home. As they walked out the front door, Kylic’s father hailed them over from the wood pile a few meters away where he was splitting firewood. He was a strong, stout man with muscular features and a square jaw. On the whole, he looked little like his son, except for the brown hair. He was called Buric and was well respected in the village for his abilities as a woodsman and hunter, from which he earned his living.

“I see you were able to wake the slumbering bear in there without getting mauled, Elyssa,” He stated in his deep, rolling baritone.

“He was too busy wrestling with his blankets on the floor to deal with me,” Elyssa replied with her trademark smile and winked in Kylic’s direction, which caused him to roll his eyes.

Buric let out a bark of laughter. “I can imagine. Bit of a clumsy oaf isn’t he?” He asked.

Ignoring Kylic’s squawk of protest, Elyssa nodded, saying “Oh yes, quite.”

“Well in any case, thank you for getting him up; saves me a lot of trouble.”

“If the two of you are quite finished mocking me,” Kylic interjected, “Elyssa and I are heading to the market. Is that alright Father?” he asked.

Buric waved his hand nonchalantly. “Sure, sure. Just be sure to be back here by midday, we need to get this firewood into town for the festival this evening.”

“All right, Father.”

“Oh, and Elyssa?” Buric asked.

“Yes?”

“Keep my son’s head at a normal size for me.”

Elyssa laughed, “Will do, sir.”

Scowling at his father, but remaining silent, Kylic turned to Elyssa.

“Shall we, my fair lady?” he asked, holding his arm out regally to escort her.

“We shall, dear sir,” she replied, smiling and taking his arm.

Together they set off down the cart path leading to the village. It wasn’t a long walk, only a kilometer or so, and they made it together often. Elyssa lived with her father, the old retired captain, a short distance away. It was a relatively short detour through the woods to reach Kylic’s home, so Elyssa stopped by frequently.

As they walked they spoke of inconsequential things, laughing and teasing as they always did; just enjoying each others presence. They spent as much time as possible together, and had since that fateful day five years ago. Everyone in the village knew that where one was, the other couldn’t be far. They were a pair. They knew each other better then anybody else, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

A short time later they reached the village and headed into the market. While Elyssa walked over to the various vendors to pick up what she needed, Kylic moved towards one of the visiting fur traders he had spotted. The trader was a rather burly man, with a full beard that was typically found on trappers.

“Good day, sir,” Kylic greeted as he approached.

“Aye, and a good day to you as well,” the brawny man returned. “What can I do for you?”

“Just browsing,” Kylic responded, examining the furs that were on display.

“Well let me know if I can get anything for you,” the trader said.

Kylic browsed in silence for a few moments, until the trader spoke up again.

“Have you heard about the village to the west?” he asked, something in his tone suggesting it was a matter of importance.

“I’m afraid I haven’t,” Kylic replied, “what happened?”

“Well, we were stopping by on the way here and found the place empty. It was in rough shape too, almost burnt to the ground. Bandits, is what most assume,” the trader explained.

The man adopted a contemplated look as he continued. “Strange though, there wasn’t a body in sight. Usually bandits leave the poor sods to the buzzards.”

“Did you find any survivors?” Kylic asked, his brow furrowing in concern.

“Not a one, lad.”

“This is bad news indeed. Has someone warned the militia?” Kylic asked.

“I believe so. They decided to put up an extra guard for the festival tonight, I heard.”

Kylic fell into silence pondering this new information. Something sounded fishy to him about all of it. It just didn’t match up in his mind. Perhaps there would be a town meeting about it later, after the festival.

Kylic was interrupted from his musing when Elyssa walked over to join him, a basket in her hand.

“Ready to go?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied. Turning to the trader, he thanked him for his time and the news.

Again the pair set off, making their way through the crowded market street and onto another cart path, this one leading to the cottage that Elyssa and her father made their home.

As they walked, Kylic told her what he had learned from the trapper, and what he thought of it.

“You don’t think it was bandits?” she asked.

“Can’t be,” Kylic replied, “they don’t usually ransack entire villages, and never bury the dead.”

“Maybe the survivors buried them after the attack,” Elyssa suggested.

“I don’t think there were any survivors El - they would have come here by now, we’re the closest to them.” Kylic responded.

Elyssa fell quiet, considering this bit of information. They continued walking in an introspective silence for the space of several minutes, worry creasing both of their brows. Finally, Kylic spoke up.

“Elyssa?”

“Hmm?” She replied, looking over at him.

“I don’t want you to go anywhere alone until we find out more about this. I have a bad feeling about it,” he stated, the concern evident in his voice. “It might be a good idea to stay armed as well. You fight better then most men in the village, and I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

“Okay,” came the reply, “but only if you make the same promise to me,” she continued with a stern stare. “I don’t want you hurt either.”

“Fair enough,” he readily agreed. “We’ll have to stop by my cottage and get my weapon then.”

“We’ll stop by on the way back to the village.” Elyssa said, closing the matter for the moment.

A few minutes later they reached the cottage where Elyssa and her father lived. It was a small home, with a single bedroom, a kitchen, and a sitting room. Surrounded by trees, it had the appearance of a fairytale cottage in the woods, and had a small footpath leading from the cart track to the front door.

Together they crossed the threshold, walking through the sitting room into the kitchen. Elyssa’s father was there at the table, sharpening his sword with a dark whetstone. He was a fairly tall man, a few inches taller then Kylic, and immensely strong. His face and arms were peppered with scars; tokens from his days in the Royal Army during the Minotaurian Wars of nearly twenty years ago, before he met Elyssa’s mother. Thylin was the captain of the village militia because of his significant combat skill and experience. He had personally trained nearly every man in the village who knew swordcraft and was also responsible for Kylic’s and Elyssa’s training.

“Ah, Elyssa, Kylic,” he said, looking up. “I see you have the foodstuffs I asked for,” he noted, indicating the basked on Elyssa’s arm. “You may spend the extra money, Elyssa.”

“Thank you, Father,” Elyssa replied affectionately.

“Good morning sir,” Kylic said, sounding slightly more shaky then usual.

“’Morning, my boy, ‘morning. Have the two of you got plans for the day?” he asked.

“Yes, Father,” Elyssa replied. “We’re going to have an exhibition match in the market this morning, then help Kylic’s father with the firewood for the festival.”

“I see,” he said, standing up from the table. “I assume you heard the news in the market?”

“You mean the attack on the neighboring village?” Kylic asked.

Thyrin nodded.

“We did sir,” Kylic replied.

“We’re going to stay armed and together for now,” Elyssa added.

“See that you do,” Thyrin responded. “And watch out for each other. Together you’re much safer then alone.”

“We will sir,” Kylic replied.

“Yes, father,” Elyssa added.

“And let me know if anyone wins your match as well. These stalemates must end sometime,” Thyrin added, cracking a small smile.

Kylic and Elyssa both laughed. “Yes sir,” they intoned.

Thyrin himself had been training Elyssa and Kylic for some time, beginning when they were both only eleven summers. They were prodigies at the art, improving so quickly they easily surpassed most of the trained fighters in the militia, even at so young an age.

Kylic became partial soon after beginning his training to a blade known as a leta; a long, narrow blade with a single sharpened edge designed for speed and balance. It was light, but could be wielded with a second hand for more power if desired.

Elyssa, however, found her skill with two blades knows as katas. Each were about the length of her forearm and double-edged, designed for speed and versatility. Light and very well-balanced, she could move faster than easily seen, making her a force to be reckoned with.

Against each other they were incredibly evenly matched. Both were extremely fast, with Kylic’s reach offsetting Elyssa’s extra blade. Many times had they sparred, never having a victor. It had become something of a village joke with a huge betting pool resting on who would be the eventual victor. Each time they fought they either gave up in exhaustion or disarmed each other at the same time.

Kylic and Elyssa spoke to Thylin for several more minutes about the upcoming festival and other more trivial matters. As the time progressed, Kylic grew progressively more nervous. He needed to find a window to speak to Thylin alone and the thought was making him begin to panic.

Suddenly, Elyssa turned toward Kylic, narrowing her eyes slightly. After a moment, she stood up.

“I’m going to get my katas, Father. Kylic needs to speak with you,” she said as she walked out the door, turning her head and smiling mischievously at Kylic.

Kylic looked at the doorway Elyssa had just passed through, surprise evident on his face. Thyrin chuckled at his expression.

“Don’t be so surprised, lad, she knows you better then you know yourself,” he said, patting him on the shoulder. “Now,” he continued, “what do you wish to speak with me about?”

Kylic looked down at the table in front of him, wiping his sweaty hands nervously on his trousers. He did nothing for several seconds, then slowly raised his eyes to meet Thyrin’s inquisitive gaze.

“Well sir,” he began, “today is the mid-summer festival, making me fifteen summers.”

“Indeed, Elyssa as well,” Thyrin responded. “Congratulations, you’re a man now.”

“Thanks,” Kylic said, standing up a little straighter. He took a deep breath, preparing himself for what he would say next.

“I would like permission to court your daughter,” he said quickly, looking apprehensively back at Thyrin. The captain stared at him sternly for several moments, before doing the last thing Kylic expected.

He burst into laughter.

Kylic looked on in confusion as the captain’s barking laugh filled the cabin for some reason he could not comprehend. After a moment, the laughing stopped.

“My boy,” Thyrin said, clapping him on the shoulder. “The two of you have been courting for years, whether you realized it or not. Nothing I say is likely to change that. But in any case, you have my permission. I don’t think Elyssa would allow me to choose anyone else. Don’t make me regret that decision.

Kylic sighed in relief. “I won’t sir, and thank you.”

“Well now, run along and tell Elyssa, and don’t forget to pick up your sword. I don’t want you or my daughter hurt,” Thyrin said, picking his whetstone back up and resuming his work.

“Yes sir,” Kylic intoned, heading toward the doorway Elyssa had gone through.

“And Kylic?” Thyrin asked as he was about to leave.

“Yes?” he responded, looking back from the doorway.

“I couldn’t have picked a better man myself,” Thyrin stated sincerely, looking Kylic in the eye.

“Thank you, sir;” Kylic responded quietly. “I appreciate that.”

Thyrin nodded to him, and Kylic left the room.




Chapter 2
---------

Kylic and Elyssa slowly circled each other, each waiting for the other to make the first move. Their eyes were locked, both pairs of green eyes seeming to burn with a fire of intense concentration. Kylic’s leta rested loosely in his right hand, while Elyssa’s katas were gripped lightly at her sides. Each fighter appeared totally relaxed yet attentively concentrating as they slowly circled around.

Surrounding them was a crowd of many people, mostly villagers, but traders from elsewhere as well, including the burly fur trader Kylic had met earlier that morning. When the pair had announced their plan to spar little more then half an hour ago a crowd had gathered fast. Seeing the two prodigies fight was a great source of entertainment for them and a rather large amount of money rested on the eventual victor, providing there ever was one.

With a suddenness that made many in the crowd jump in surprise the two fighters sprang into action, bringing their dulled practice blades up and lunging at each other. Kylic’s leta flashed in the sunlight as he swung it two-handed towards Elyssa’s midsection, using enough force to crack ribs and cause serious injury, despite the dulled edge.

With a deafening clang, both of Elyssa’s katas met the attack mid-swing and the fight was on in earnest. Blades flashed in the sunlight as they twirled in an elaborate dance, glancing off each other and fluidly changing direction without apparent effort. It appeared as if the two fighters knew each other’s thoughts, knew where they would move next, could detect their intentions.

For several minutes they continued, Kylic’s blade meeting one of Elyssa’s as he twisted slightly to avoid the other. Elyssa using both of her blades to block Kylic’s stronger swings, or simply deflecting them to the side while trying to create an opening. It was to no avail for either of them. It seemed that no matter what they did neither could gain the upper-hand.

Suddenly they both sprang apart, breathing heavily but with eyes still locked and guard up.

As they began slowly circling again, Elyssa spoke up. “I almost had you there for a moment Ky.”

Kylic snorted, eyes never leaving his beautiful green-eyed opponent. “Believe what you will, my lady,” he stated sardonically.

Elyssa’s mischievous smile graced her face and suddenly she snapped toward Kylic, bringing both of her blades forward in a dual thrust. Kylic sprang to the side, narrowly missing one of the blades and catching his shirt on it, creating a long tear by his rib cage. Before Kylic could regain his balance to counter, Elyssa was back on guard.

“Close one, Ky,” Elyssa cheekily stated, smiling.

“Indeed,” he flatly returned, rolling his eyes.

Again they circled, waiting for an opening, eyes locked together and seeming to blaze with an unearthly light. After a few moments, Elyssa broke the silence once more.

“So how did the talk with my father go?” she asked curiously.

“Oh wouldn’t you like to know?” Kylic defiantly returned, smirking back at her.

“Yes I would,” Elyssa sternly responded, glaring at him. “And you’re going to tell me now, aren’t you?”

“Well now,” Kylic replied. “That depends.”

“Oh?”

“Can you beat me?”

With those words Kylic sprang at her, blade whistling as it arced through the air. The instant he had begun moving, Elyssa had reacted, stepping to the side to take advantage of his over-extended position. With her right kata she deflected Kylic’s sword away from her, slicing her other blade toward his exposed side. With an amazing display of dexterity, Kylic twisted out of the way, barely avoiding the strike.

But now Kylic was on the defensive, and Elyssa was close enough to press the advantage. Kylic furiously parried, blocking and twisting away from Elyssa’s blows, giving ground while desperately trying to regain control of the fight. Suddenly, with a quick strike that made it through his guard, the tip of Elyssa’s dulled kata scraped along his elbow.

With that first touch Kylic finally regained enough control to spring away, breaking the action for a moment.

“First hit goes to you,” he said, indicating his elbow.

Elyssa simply smiled. “Well of course,” she responded.

Kylic chuckled, circling again. “And you think I’m cocky,” he stated sarcastically.

“I have reason to be,” Elyssa cheekily replied. “Now what did you speak to my father about?” she asked again.

“Oh I suppose a touch is as far as we ever get to winning these things,” Kylic replied. “We spoke about me reaching the age of maturity today.”

Elyssa raised her eyebrows. “And?” she asked, twirling her katas around.

“Well,” Kylic began, mindful of the crowd around him, but aching to tell her the recent events. The morning had been extremely difficult for him. It had taken all his will-power to keep from smiling like a deliriously happy idiot when he left the room and it was even harder to wait to tell Elyssa. He’d planned on telling her during the fight, trying to make it more memorable. Now the moment was upon him and he didn’t want to mess it up.

“I asked permission to court you,” he said in a rush, looking her apprehensively in the eyes.

Elyssa stopped moving, a look of surprise on her face. Slowly, a smile spread across her features, growing bigger as her eyes lit up. With a laugh of happiness she threw her Katas to the side, running toward Kylic. Kylic dropped his sword, meeting her in a fierce hug. Together they stood, amidst a crowd of many people, laughing and embracing, happier then they thought they could be. The members of the crowd looked on, smiling at the young couple'a happiness, unsurprised at the recent turn of events. Indeed, it had been suspected for some time.

From where he stood, the burly fur trader looked on with intrigue. He waited for a moment, watching the couple in their joy, before heading off through the crowd, smiling softly to himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


With a grace that was surprising for a man his size the fur-trader made his way through the crowd. While not overly tall, he was a large man, bearing the frame and musculature of a woodsman such as him. His clothes were obviously made out of some sort of skin, with boots of hardened leather. Hanging from his side was a well-used hatchet of fine workmanship, attached with a leather holster. Strapped to his back was a wicked-looking battle-axe, its handle ornately carved, and its head made of a gleaming silver metal that appeared without flaw. He was obviously not a man to be trifled with and carried the presence of a skilled fighter.

It was mid-afternoon and the festival was about to start. Many booths lined the market, traders hoping to make a few sales during the celebrations. Here and there various games and activities were set up for the villagers, including the footrace at which Elyssa and Kylic had met at five years ago.

The fur trader made his way to the cart on which Elyssa and Kylic sat, their chore transporting the wood for the festivities done for the moment. With the same soft smile seen before the trader noted their hands clasped together with fingers interwoven as they softly spoke to one-another. Clearing his throat, he approached the couple.

“The two of you have some skill in combat it seems. I was mightily impressed with what I saw this morning,” he said in his deep, reverberating voice.

Looking up from their conversation, Elyssa replied. “Why thank you sir, we were well-trained.”

“Aye, I can see that, but you both possess a natural talent that’s rarely seen these days,” he replied, looking back and forth between them, almost appraisingly.

Looking back at Kylic, the trader held out his hand. “Well met again, lad,” he said. “I am called Dulhyn.”

“Kylic,” Kylic replied, shaking the outstretched hand.

“And who is this fine young lass that has so readily caught your attentions?” Dulhyn asked, turning to look at Elyssa.

“Elyssa,” she spoke up, completely unembarrassed by his comment. “What can we do for you sir?” she asked.

“Naught, naught,” came the reply. “I just wanted to speak to the youngsters that have so easily caught the hearts of the people in this village. I have wandered for many years, and yet never have I seen two such as you, so skilled and respected at so young an age.”

“Well thank you sir,” Kylic replied. “I see you’re not without skill yourself,” he said, indicating the axe strapped to his back. “That is not the axe of a woodsman, or even a casual mercenary.”

“Indeed not,” Dulhyn replied, chuckling. “I’m well enough in a fight, enough to still be alive at any rate.”

“Where are you from?” Elyssa asked curiously.

Dulhyn sighed, adopting a far-away look. “Far from here, lass, far from here,” he said, looking away from the couple.

Kylic looked inquisitively at Elyssa, who simply shrugged and asked “Why are you here?”

With another sigh Dulhyn looked back at the two. “I’m looking for something important to me. I’ve been looking for a long time now,” he said.

“Oh,” Elyssa said, unsure what else to say to this unusual man. After a moment’s pause, Elyssa stood, pulling Kylic with her.

“Well, it was good to meet you, but we must be going now,” she stated. “I hope you find who you’re looking for,” she finished as they walked away.

Dulhyn stood staring after them as they walked into the crowd, a look of contemplation on his face, his eyes narrowed as he considered them. After a moment he softly sighed, running a thumb over the underside of his wrist.

“I hope I find it too,” he softly whispered to himself. Then, as he turned away, added “Perhaps I already have.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



A/N

Ok there it is. I wrote it about a year ago during a particularly difficult couple of months, when my only outlet happened to be a pen and paper. I have no idea if it’s even decent, or so unbearably cliché it’s not worth looking at. So please, tell me if it is or not.

Regardless, this was originally written with a sense of idealism that has long since been lost to me, so I would expect any continuation to take a considerably darker turn.

Thanks,

-Jason
© Copyright 2007 Rettet (rettet181 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1330330-Unending