*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1330866-The-Evening
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1330866
The hot summer day at our office when a strange man came banging at our door.
The evening of Sunday rose and the banging of the front door continued.
Neither I nor my mom wanted to open the door.
We had no visitors scheduled on that day.
My mom asked if I had any visitors.

I answered, "No."
I ask her if she had anyone visiting her, she replied, "no one visits me."

The banging of the door became annoying.
I got up.
I was ready to answer the door, and my mom asked, "Are you going to answer the door?"

I said, "Since you're afraid to answer the door, I will."
"You shouldn't go and open the door if you don't know who's at the door," she said.

"It doesn’t matter who's at the door, I'm not scared."
"Who is it," I said with an aggressive loud voice while standing in front of the door holding the golden doorknob with my right hand ready to turn the doorknob clockwise.

"Open up, hurry," the voice from the other side of the door loudly said.

"Wait!" My mom shouted from across the room.

I turned my head to face her.
I had a puzzled expression on my face not knowing why she wanted me to wait and not opened the door.
My right hand was released from the doorknob and placed on a wooden satin baseball bat she handed me.

"Open up! Open up!" the voice said.

The banging on the door continued.
I held the bat with my right sweaty palm shivery hand and place my left hand on the doorknob, turning the doorknob slowly.

"I’m coming," I said softly with a slight crack in my voice showing nervousness.
"Hurry," the voice said.

I turned the doorknob and pulled the door opened towards me slowly.

"Help me, Help me!" the man yelled rushing through the doorway, gasping breathlessly for air.

"Are you okay? I said.
What happened?
Mom can you get him a cup of ice cold water? Sit down."

"Someone stole my puppy," the man said.
I didn’t want to chase him.
He hit me across the back of my head and ran off.
I recently moved in this neighborhood."
I secretly cracked a smile, not because of what he said was funny, but the way he expresses himself as if he had feminine ways.

"There's the water,” my mom said.
Drink up.
I notified the cops.
They're on their way."

© Copyright 2007 Francklin Colimon Jr. (francklincjr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1330866-The-Evening