*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331355-Happiness
by Hayden
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1331355
Just a random thought about happiness...
Happiness is relative and we only know we were happy in retrospect. I never thought there would come a time where I would long for the way things were, that I would wish I could do things over if only to revel in the happiness I missed the first time around. Why does the whole world suffer from the "grass is greener" syndrome? How come we realize all too late that the things we thought were so bad were really the best things we'd ever have? I keep thinking I'm too young to be this jaded, but the truth is we're all this jaded...I've never known a person that could pinpoint more than just a moment or single memory of happiness. And every time I ask the question, the response is always  "I was happy..." or "I remember when..." No one ever says "Right now, I'm happy right now." We are all looking for something better, and it's not our fault. We are taught from pre-school to always set goals for ourselves, that succeeding in your goals is what brings happiness. In short "success" is what brings happiness. Whatever happened to being a good and honorable person bringing happiness? Whatever happened to just being happy with the person you are? Why are we all struggling for perfection when we all know no one's perfect? I'm tired of looking for something that's been right in front of me, but it's been ingrained in me to reach higher, that nothing is ever good enough. People always say to live for the moment, but how can you if you're always chasing the next best thing? I feel like goals and chasing success are just ways to let your life pass by. I'm not perfect and I never will be, and I'm tired of chasing something that's always been a lie...
© Copyright 2007 Hayden (hayden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331355-Happiness