*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331622-Dreams-Lost
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Tiana
Rated: XGC · Short Story · Gothic · #1331622
Short Vampire Romance Story
      The night sky was nearly black, nary a star in it.  A shadow moved past the trees, the wind whipping strands of raven black tresses across her face. A slender hand went up to move the long strands out of those mischievous and haunting violet eyes. With a soft sigh, the lady pulled her cloak tighter about her curvaceous figure. She walked on, undaunted by the fiery wind, or the coming storm. She knew there came a time when the wind ceased its roar and bowed its head to her.
      She paused outside the tavern door, hesitant to see him, knowing his lack of interest these days. Stepping inside the tavern, she scanned the room quickly, her eyes missing nothing. Coming to rest on a tall broad shouldered man whose raven locks fell in abandon across his handsome face shielding those all seeing blue eyes of his. The smile that lit his face as his eyes met hers reminded her so much of Lydia’s. So happy to see her and yet, no longer full of life, now filled with a deep sadness even she could not change.
      Ignoring how all the men’s eyes followed the sway of her hips, she walked over to him. Throwing her cloak over a chair at the table, revealing the clinging black gown that accentuated every curve of her sensuous body, she smiled as she was encompassed in his strong embrace. Curling into the pro-offered seat across from him, she gazed over his un-kept appearance. The sadness that shadowed his eyes, she knew had once been reflected in her own eyes. The devil may care attitude he had opted to take made her anger with Lydia grow to new heights, knowing Lydia’s death had done this to him.
      After finishing her appraisal of his appearance, she stated softly. “Dark Eve… Anthony.”
      It was indeed a dark eve. Eyes that had once been so full of life and happiness were now dull and saddened. An appearance that once was so neat and well kept was now ragged and un-cared for.  The sweet loving man who would have given his life for the woman he loved was gone, and in his place was a devil may care rogue, a man without a purpose who sometimes seemed like a man without a world to inhabit these days.
      “Good Eve Sis.” He replied with a warm smile, his own gaze taking an appraisal of how she was. Her hair as always was flowing freely well past her hips, curling seductively. Her eyes sparkling with happiness and life that belied how she really felt.
      As usual, her taste in clothing was risqué with the gown clinging to her every defining curve, slit to mid thigh, where a bejeweled dagger was sheathed. The wedding ring that sparkled on her hand a tell tale sign of why she appeared so happy. He regretted missing her wedding.
      “Have you no care for how you appear these days, brother mine?” her words albeit said with love and caring were edged with anger. The soft glittering of tears in her eyes belied how calm she appeared, true worry etched her brow.
      “Not really, Sis. I just find no need to look good anymore…” he replied quickly, leaving unsaid ‘with Lydia gone’. Pouring her a glass of blood wine, he watched her eyes soften as she heard what went unsaid.
      With a soft shake of her head, she watched him for a minute. How could he be so calm? She was furious with Lydia, who professed love for both Anthony and her. If she had loved them, she would not have taken her life, would she have? Frowning she took a sip of the blood wine.
      Glancing up at Anthony, blinking, she realized he had been speaking to her. “Yes Anthony?”
      “Adrianna… What is wrong with you?’ he questioned ‘you seem miles away.” Watching her silently, he frowned as her eyes again took on that distant look he had not seen in years.

It was true; she was miles away. No, she was years away. Back to when she had first met Lydia and Anthony. Back to when she had first met her beloved Raphael, her husband. A time when life was good and love abounded for her brother and her. A sigh slipped from her lips as she downed the rest of the glass of wine.

“I’m sorry. I have been slipping back into times gone by for days. I have not seen Raphael in weeks…” her eyes clouded as she admitted that to her brother.

“Why…?” Anthony asked quietly.

“I just don’t know. I must have done something.” A single tear slid down her cheek as she raised her eyes to meet his, allowing him to see past the false bravado of happiness, straight into her soul and the aching pain there. “I just don’t know what… and it’s killing me.”

Reaching out he wiped the tear from her cheek. “Shhhh…There is no need to cry Sis. I’m sure it is nothing.” Cupping her chin, he made her look at him. “I’m sure it’s nothing Adrianna.”

Gazing deep into his eyes, she wished she could believe he was right. Alas she feared he was just trying to make her feel better, to make her not dwell on what she had done wrong that caused her to lose the man she loved.

Nothing Anthony could say would make her believe she was not the cause of Raphael not being around. She had done something, and even if it destroyed her, she would find out what that something was.

Her thoughts were invaded by fleeting memories of her last conversation with Raphael. His admission of betraying her love with another still shattered little pieces of her heart every time she thought about it. With a resigned sigh, she looked up at Anthony, her eyes flashing with angry hurt.

“Raphael said he betrayed me with another woman, it was the last time we spoke.’ Pulling her dagger from the sheath at her thigh, she carelessly traced the mark of the dragon that was engraved into the table. ‘Tonight a decision will have to be made. Either he chooses to save our marriage or….’ she trailed off a deadly glint entering her eyes. ‘Or we end it!” her lips curved into a slightly sad smile as she flicked her tongue lightly across her fangs.

“The Decision is his to make…” and with that said she kissed Anthony’s cheek and disappeared into the crowd before he could say a word, or make a move to stop her.

Returning to her first home in the realm the place seemed empty, dead even. As if it was awaiting the whole family to come home. That would never be especially now since Lydia’s death. Slipping up the stairs and into her room she gazed over the room. Many memories had been made here; talks with Anthony and Lydia; times with past loves; but sadly there wasn't a single sign of her beloved husband...

Shaking her head she started to do what she had came here to do. Each item was done to allure her husband, perhaps to win his heart once again. Was it that she feared that he would not be or a hope that he would be around for her to surprise that made her do this tonight. Was this merely a last ditch attempt of hers to save a marriage that should have failed when Raphael had disappeared for months the first time.

Glancing over her wardrobe which was quite risqué, she wasn't sure anymore if he would be attracted to what she had always warn. Sure the gowns were beautiful and they held so sensually to her curvy figure, but was that enough these days to keep the man she loved? 

Selecting a dressing gown of black silk she walked over to the steaming tub of water. Laying the gown over her dressing table chair she tested the water, it was perfect. Scented with lily of the valley and lavender to help her relax; dropping her robe she stepped into the tub, and slowly slid down into the water resting her head. She closed her eyes and faded back into time listening to the music in the ballroom the night she met her beloved Raphael.

With a sigh the memories faded as she ducked under the still warm water and soaked her hair. Washing it with a lavender scented soap then she poured water from a pitcher over her head she rinsed the soap from her hair. She then pinned it up so that she might finish her bath before the water cooled too much. Standing she poured the remaining warm water from the pitcher to rinse the rest of the soap from her body then stepped from the tub. She lightly toweled the water from her body then walked back to her dressing table.

She picked up the gown she had left there earlier and slid it on, the cool silk tantalizing her senses as it slid over her body. Sitting down, she looked over the items on her table. She had decided earlier to win her beloved back.  So meticulously, she pinned her hair up in the rollers that would let it fall in sultry waves framing her face. It was with many years of practice that she learned the artistic skills she would need to apply the facial paint, which enhanced her beauty, which she would draw upon tonight. She knew those skills would not fail her now. Oh how she wished to see it in the mirror just this once for she wanted to be perfect for Raphael tonight.

Applying the final touch of blood red lip color to her lips, she stood and walked once more to glance over her wardrobe. What was the fashion for seducing one's husband anyway? Pulling out a gown of deep purple silk; she discarded it as being too risqué. With a frown, she resumed her search, tossing aside gown after gown for one flaw or another.

She soon found her closet's contents strewn over the bedroom she had first called her own as part of Lydia and Anthony's family. The gowns of black and purple, green and blue lay strewn across everything. With a sigh, she flopped back onto her canopy bed wondering what to do now.

Jumping up she remembered an old dress she had hanging in her closet, way at the back. She pulled it out, the stark contrast of this gown to that of the rest surprised even her. It was made of pale lavender chiffon; the gown had fallen in straight lines to flutter about her ankles. The bodice albeit form fitting was hardly as low cut as most of her gowns in fact this could be called maidenly with its higher square neckline trimmed in a dark violet lace. A wide velvet sash wrapped around the waist matching the violet trim. It was in fact the perfect dress.

Slipping into the gown she was amazed at how well it still fit. It molded to her curves as it hadn't before. She was different than she had been, where she had once looked innocent in this gown, now she looked and did she dare to hope... alluring?


      Anthony frowned when Adrianna appeared startled at his touch. Adrianna glanced around the tavern where she and Anthony sat, a frown curving her lips. This was neither the home she had grown to love, nor the one that she shared with her husband. Had it all been just a dream?
      As her gaze locked on the couple who have just entered the tavern hurt shadowed her eyes. His chestnut locks were mussed, she had often made them that way during a passionate interlude. His blue eyes sparkled with laughter at something the sun-bronzed, flame haired wench that was clinging to his arm said.
      “Adrianna, what is it?” Anthony asked before he followed her gaze to where her husband stood with the girl, his eyes narrowing “Is that Raphael?”
      Anger and fury shimmer in the depths of her eyes as she stared at them. Standing she walked over to them slowly. With deliberate malice lacing her voice she spoke very softly “do you mind...’ her eyes narrowed as she flicked her tongue over her fangs ‘Removing your hands from my husband?” she queried.
      Raphael looked at her with shock before saying “Adrianna…”
      Her eyes flashed daggers at him, fury emanated with every word she said “Raphael Darling, if you care to keep your play toy alive, kindly remove her from my sight.’ Her gaze trailed to the girl’s neck where her pulse beat wildly ‘Before you infuriate me beyond control.”
      His eyes widened as her meaning sunk in. “You wouldn’t do that, just because you are angry with me Adrianna.”
      Her lips slowly curved into a smile. “Now, there my darling, you are wrong.” Before he could move, she had reached out and grabbed the girl by the neck. “Do you realize that you should never, ever, whore yourself with a vampiress’ husband, my sweet? It could get your killed, in fact, it just did.” Sinking her fangs deep into the girls through, she slowly and painfully drank, ignoring the pain filled whimpers the girl emitted.
      “Adrianna…” Anthony’s voice, soft and soothing said as he pulled the girl from her grasp, limp and dying.
      Her eyes shimmered, glazed from the lust of the blood as she raised her eyes back to Raphael “Do not ever dare to bring one of your play toy’s near me again.’ She whispered barely controlling her fury ‘in fact, do not dare to come near me again, else it will be your fate as well.” She turned, her gaze meeting Anthony’s she nodded to him and disappeared back into the shadows of the tavern.
      “Raphael, leave my sister alone. She is serious.” Anthony said and turned and returned to the table he and Adrianna shared.
      “I can’t believe he had the nerve.” She whispered.
      “It is over. Just another Dream lost Sis.” Anthony replied “Just another dream lost.”
© Copyright 2007 Tiana (hauntedangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331622-Dreams-Lost