*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331803-They-Do-Exist
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1331803
A mother comes to realize that monsters to exist. Written for Dialogue 500 contest.
“Brian for the last time there are no such things as monsters.”

“But mom there was a monster in the hall.  It was green and bumpy with a pointed noise an..”

“Hey, pea brain, knock it off and stop pestering mom.  All you saw was me in the hall as I walked by.”

“No really there was a monster.  It was following Matt and it was green and bumpy with a pointy nose and it was drooling and..”

“O yea don’t forget the bug eyes and the dagger tongue and the sharp claws and the stinking odor.”

“You saw the monster didn’t you Matt?”

“Sure I saw the monster when it followed me into my room and started to chew on my leg.”

“See mom I told you.  It is real. Is it still in your room?”

“Naw,  I am too old; it prefers young soft tender flesh of little pea brain twerps”

“Matt knock it off you’re not helping matters any.  You know Brian has an overactive imagination without your assistance.”

“Sorry mom, it is just too much fun.”

“Fun or not it needs to stop.  I have things to complete downstairs, so Brian bed now; lights out and Matt please go finish your homework. I don’t want to hear another word about some green eyed bug monster.”

“Mom you mean bumpy green monster with bug eyes, pointed nose, dagger tongue, sharp claws, that drools and is stinky.”

“Brian Marcus Miller in bed now and go to sleep there are no monsters especially one’s that looks like that.”

“Way to go pea brain.”

“Matthew … ”

“Mom, whaaat should I do if it comes back?”

“Cover your head and hope it can’t smell your tender flesh.  Cause once it does there will be no escape.”

“Matthew, out now.  Go do your homework or else.”

“Mom, can I please come downstairs I don’t want to be eaten.”

“Brian, you know your bother is just giving you a bad time.  There is no monster out to eat you or anyone else.”

“But what should I do, IF it does come to get me?”

“It won’t but if you think you see a monster close your eyes and say ‘there are no such things as monsters  then open your eyes and you will see that it’s gone.”

“But what. . .”

“Brian enough!”

“But mom. . .”

“No buts, goodnight!  I will check on you later.”

“Okay, goodnight.”

“Hey, pea brain, don’t forget to listen for the clacking, scraping noise of the claws so you can cover your head and pray for a miracle.”

“Shut up Matt!”

                                        - - - - - - - - - -

“Whaaaaaats was that!  Close my eyes and say there are no such things as monsters.  There are no such things as monster, there are no such. . .”

“What the . . . no stay away.  Brian!  Mom!  HELP!”

“There are no such things as monsters!          THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS MONSTERS! “

“Boys I told you to cut it out!  Now knock it . . . .  What the hell . . . Oh God no!”

“THERE ARE SUCH THINGS AS MONSTERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!”




Word count:  500
© Copyright 2007 DreamWeaver2 (dreamweaver2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331803-They-Do-Exist