*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1333465-Drive
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1333465
Driving home...
Andrew hated driving home late, especially when it was raining.

  He lived an hour away from Memphis, and that was where everything was. Him and his brother, Noah, were on there way back home from their friends house. Noah was asleep on the passenger side. Andrew was worried what their father was going to say about them being so late.

  About half-way home, Andrew began to get tired and wanted to get home as fast as he could. But the roads were slick from the rain, and he didn't want to risk anything. So he kept to the speed limit.

  There was the cat. Every time he took this way home at tis time of night a black cat would always be sitting on the right side of the road, staring into Andrews eyes. Or so it seemed to Andrew.

  This time, however, the cat was staring to its right, at the middle of the road. Andrew turned his gaze to see at what the cat was looking.

  His car came to a stop. Not a sudden stop. A smooth stop. One that would be impossible to make as quickly as he did on a slick road going that fast. Or did HE stop the car? He never put his foot near the brake pedal.

  The cat was looking at what seemed to be a deer. With no head. Andrew rubbed his eyes and refocussed on the "thing". It was standing on all fours and was brown, but seemed to be hairless. Its back feet were hooves, but his front feet were knife-like. He could've been staring for an hour. The "thing" did not move, until it stood up on its two back legs and turned towards the car.

  Andrew could hear his own heartbeat in his ears. The creature extended its knife-like arms outwards. Its armspan had to be around 10 feet. It seemed to have no head or neck. Then Andrew looked closer. On the "chest" of the creature was what looked like a closed eye. The creature was about 30 feet away.

  The eye opened.

  Suddenly, Andrews car began to speed towards the creature. Andrew tried to slam on the breaks, but the pedal wouldn't move. He though, for sure they were going to crash into the thing, but as soon as the car touched the creature it disappeared. And in that split second everything went freezing cold. The windows became completely frosted. And Andrew got goose bumps all over his body. Finally his breaks were working and the pedal slammed to the floor. The car screeched and began to spin. Finally stopping, turned 180 degrees opposite of where they were facing. Andrew looked over and was surprised to see Noah still sleeping soundly.

  He turned the car around and sped home.
© Copyright 2007 rooster (shrimpyb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1333465-Drive