*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1333770-OEDIPUS-REX-PROJECT
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Script/Play · None · #1333770
Project for Mayorga.
Characters:
Oedipus: Eddie
Tiresias: Nayrim
Boy: Sara
Chorus/People of Thebes: Katie, Nermin, Sara

Scene: before the Royal Palace at Thebes.

(Enter Tiresias led by a boy)

Oedipus:

(Turns to Tiresias, relieved)

Tiresias, my lord, by your art, you read the signs and secrets of the Earth and the Sky. You are the one who can help us even though you cannot see—you can reveal who the cause of this pollution is. Tell us who murdered Laius to punish them with death or banishment; this pestilence can’t end without your help.

Tiresias:

(Surprised/ Nervous)

I can’t give much help, I knew this well and yet I forgot, I shouldn't have come. Take me home!

Oedipus:

(Walks towards Tiresias, Confused)

Why, what is it? Why are you so nervous?

Tiresias:

(Begins to back away cautiously)

Let me go home! It will be best for you and for me if you just let me go.

Oedipus:

(Suspicious)

But how can you say that? You want to go home? You don’t want to help the city of your birth?

Tiresias:

I know that what you say will lead you on to ruin therefore I better keep what I know to myself.

Oedipus:

(Helpless, begging)

No. by the gods! Say all you know, we will go down on our knees if it’s your wish, we will beg.

Tiresias:

(Turns away)

You will know nothing! I shall never reveal my knowledge.

Oedipus:

(Walks closer, angry)

You know the truth and will not tell us? Do you wish to ruin Thebes and destroy us all?

Tiresias:

(Irritated)

Stop these vain questions, for I will not speak.

Oedipus:

You traitor! Why won’t you speak? Is your heart so hard and so inflexible?

Tiresias:

(Angry)

You don’t know my reasons, thus I’m a traitor?

Oedipus:

(Takes step forward, questioning)

And who would not feel the same finding that you won’t help Thebes, the place where you grew?


Tiresias:

(Turns face downward)

The truth will come soon, and without my help.

Oedipus:

(Lifts hands)

If it will come soon, why don’t you just say it now?

Tiresias:

(Raises voice)

I will say no more!

Oedipus:

(Points at Tiresias while talking to people of Thebes)

I will tell you al what I believe. This crime was planned and carried out by Tiresias. His hand alone has done the murder.

Tiresias:

(Angry, Turns to the people of Thebes)

Alas! I will only tell you all one thing. (Turns and points at Oedipus) You are the
man whose crimes pollute our city, you just can’t see it.

Oedipus:

(Surprised, annoyed)

What are you saying? Do you think you will leave without being punished for what you say?

Tiresias:

(Confident)

I do! Because I have a champion: the truth!

Oedipus:

(Gets closer to Tiresias)

Who sent you to say this? For this was not your doing.

Tiresias:

You did! You made me speak against my will.

Oedipus:

(Suspicious face)

Was it Creon that put you up to this?

(Pauses, looks away, thinks)

Repeat what I made you speak, you weren’t exactly clear.

Tiresias:

(Sighs)

I will say no more.

(Holds hands out)

You, Boy, come here, take me home now!

Oedipus:

(Irritated, wave’s away)

Yes, get him out of here. You are nothing but a traitor. Be gone and give me peace!

Chorus:

The voice of god rings out in the holy cavern, disapproving the one who has killed a
king- the crime of all crimes. But who is this man? This man who has polluted out air? Let him come here to be punished or be gone forever, so then this plague can end and Thebes can be safe and back to normal again.
© Copyright 2007 Elena Marie (obscuremadness at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1333770-OEDIPUS-REX-PROJECT