*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1336165-Monks-of-Arvon
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1336165
Pretty good

The wind howled as the moon shone its light upon the temples broken architecture.  It had once been one of the seven wonders of Arvon, but now all that remains is ruins. These once great halls had been filled with light and knowledge gathered from around the world by monks. But with all good intentions evil will always find an excuse.
         One day those who feared knowledge rose up and destroyed the temple and put to death the monks who were its sole guardians. The keepers of knowledge did not flee in terror nor did they lift a finger to struggle against the onslaught of the barbarians. When it came for the high monk to take the path to the next world he uttered one word and one word alone, the first he had said in eighty years, “Karma”, and with that the swift veil of night settled upon the high monks life as he passed on.
         Many of the barbarians that day had wondered what the wise old man had meant by saying that one word. But I know exactly what he meant, the old monk was trying to say that everything affects something else, and that in all we come full circle. In short, this was not the end, but only the start of the story.
         The wind lowered its moans and let the flames char the now ruined stone of the temple. Pages of the ancient texts fluttered in the air catching flame in the wind. Knowledge is never forgotten, but perhaps only…..misplaced. 
© Copyright 2007 Text Wizard (davidshinshin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1336165-Monks-of-Arvon