*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1337503-Stories-from-Goose-Tail-Ferry
Rated: E · Chapter · Comedy · #1337503
What happens when familiar characters from childhood end up in the...WHERE?
Stories from Goose-tale Ferry.

Original Work by Kim Skivington  Enjoy!

“The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”
Chicken Little frantically flapped her wings as she dabbed her eyes with a limp, damp tissue.
“Oh, it’s awful, just awful,” she moaned. “Terrible, terrible.” she rocked back and forth in her chair.
“Terrible, terrible,” she  repeated. “Oh, just terrible. What are we going to do, what are we gong to do?”

The doctor looked down over his desk at what was obviously a very distraught patient.
“Hmmmm” he mumbled as he reached for his clipboard. “How interesting is this?” He quickly scribbled, “Patient presents with acute anxiety disorder.”
He patted Chicken Little on a moist wing.
“There, there now. Take a deep breath. That’s right. Deep breath. It’ll be OK. We’re safe here. Can you tell me, Mrs. Little, how long you have had this notion?

“Chicken Little looked up from her tears. Suddenly finding her composure, she looked straight at the doctor.
“It’s not a notion. I’ve known since yesterday. I was out in the yard having a smoke when…”her voice trailed off as she anxiously looked outside the window, once again agitated.
“Yes, go on,” prompted the doctor.
“Well, it hit me. Just right then and there it hit me. Oh, what are we going to do?"
“What hit you?”
“Well, a piece of the sky, of course. It hit me right here.”
She pushed back her feathers to reveal a small raised place.
“Well, that’s quite a nasty bump you have there,” the doctor observed.
He leaned back in his chair.
“But how did you know it was a piece of the sky that hit you?”
Chicken Little stared at the doctor in surprise.

“Why don’t you know,” she queried, “Don’t you know when a piece of the sky hits you?”
The doctor chuckled as he reached for his prescription pad. This shouldn’t be too hard a case.
“Mrs. Little, you’ll have to excuse my ignorance. No I don’t have enough sense to know if a piece of sky hits me.”
“Well all the scientists know. I don’t know why you shouldn’t.”
Chicken Little took another peek out the window.
“You don’t believe me.” She declared.
“Oh, no, Mrs. Little, I believe you have had a very real trauma, and I think it has caused quite a bit of anxiety for you. I want to help you.”
Chicken Little’s eyes widened.
“Help me? Help me? It’s the whole world you should be helping right now, and if you won’t warn them, I will”
She hoped down from the chair before the doctor could stop her and headed straight for the waiting room which was filled with patients waiting for their appointments.

Immediately a commotion ensued. The doctor rushed to the door as panic set in.
“The sky is falling What shall we do?”
“Follow the yellow brick road.”

“Hey stick that beak in my face again, and I‘ll blow your house down, honey.”

“I am the great and powerful Oz.”

“Hey there Ms.Chickie! Sky insurance--Guaranteed to reimburse all losses due to falling skies. Here’s my card. Just ask for Mr. Fox and associates.”

“Don’t listen to him, Chicken Little.”

“Why ain’t you the thief, Tom Piperson! I wouldn’t trust you either.”

“Hey, don’t call me no thief. I’m Tom and I’m the Piper’s son, but I ain’t no thief and I ain’t stole no pig!”

“Ah tell it to your probation officer. That’s why you’re here.”
This was followed by a flying water bottle.

“Ouch!”

“What’ll we do? What’ll we do?”

“Just follow me. I am the great and powerful Oz.”
His voice resonated confident and clear.

“Lead the way, Ozzie baby.”


And with that, the waiting room spilled itself out into the street, single file followed by the doctor’s futile cries. He wondered what the police would say. What would be the charge? Inducing a panic? Unlawful assembly? Marching down the street without a parade permit?

Now it was his turn to look up at the sky.
He shrugged.
“I don’t see any sky falling. But then again, what would I know?  After all, would I know if a piece of sky hit me? She seems to know. All the scientists know.”

Stay tuned.

Kim Skivington
Wind Warrior





© Copyright 2007 Wind Warrior (windwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1337503-Stories-from-Goose-Tail-Ferry