*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1338633-The-Skeleton-Key
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1338633
A key west charter boat captain ends up fighting for his life.
                                                  The Skeleton Key

    Lazy summer days can make practically anyone glad to be alive. Including a dog named Jack who makes his home on a charter boat with his owner Gill Preston. Jack, a small, half wire haired terrier half mutt, is at his usual post on the dock of Sailfish Bay Marina in Key West Florida making sure anything from a treasure thief to a misguided pelican stays far away from his master’s boat. Laying on his back with his paws in the air, listening to the sounds of the warm summer water lapping against the hull of Gill’s ship, the “Skeleton Key”. Keeping a watchful eye out and ready for anything.

    The ship Skeleton Key is a beautiful seventy foot, thirty passenger sea going yacht that had been built in the Netherlands in the late 1960’s and was classed originally as an ice breaker. She was purchased by Gill from his longtime childhood friend Brad Dennon and after a thorough refitting was restored and made into a charter boat for everyone from weekend fishermen to the occasional diver slash treasure hunter who may want to go out for as long as three and a half weeks at a time.

    The ship is 11.52 meters at the beam with two MAK 2495 horse power engines that can muster up some 21 knot speeds. It has two 208 horse power auxiliary engines and two 400 horse thrusters at the bow and stern. A stunning white with blue and red pinstripes, though she was completed in 1968 she looks brand new thanks to Gill who has worked his fingers to the bone on her since the day he became her owner. 

    Shiny lacquered cedar storage cupboards hang in the galley and cover three walls, an oak table that seats 15 at one setting. Complete with an oven and kitchen sink trimmed in stainless steel that you can see yourself in. She has a full bathroom with a commode, stainless steel shower and lavatory. A cedar great room with built in padded bench seats surrounding the outer walls located midship was one of Gill’s favorite spots for those long nights spent gently rocking back and forth on the open sea.

    Brad Dennon is the manager of the southwest branch of Huntington Financial. Huntington Financial practically owns half of southeastern Florida and has branches around the world. Brad let Gill have the boat for about one third of its worth to try to help his friend achieve the career that he had always dreamed of and to better his financial stability.

    Brad’s company holds the note on the Key, and he has had to go to bat for Gill numerous times to avoid repossession of the craft. Unbeknownst to Gill, he has also had to sneak a couple of payments on the ship to the bank from his own personal account. Brad was always the smart one growing up and in turn always looked out for his best friend who was neither very business savvy nor thrifty.

    Gill on the other hand, always lived his life as if tomorrow would never come and only looked at money as a necessary evil. In fact, he looked at a lot of things in that way. Cell phones, personal computers and even remote control color televisions were all on his short list of things that were spawned of the devil. His only real link to the outside world is what he gets from his UHF ships radio and what he picks up during local conversations at The Porpoise Pub, his local watering hole.

    Jack suddenly comes to full alert and jumps from his warm spot on the dock to the gang plank of the Key. He made his way onto the ship and down the cedar stairs and then on into the galley.

    “Good Morning Jack.” Gill said as he poured dog food into Jacks bowl. “Catch any suspicious seagulls this morning? Gill finishes filling Jacks bowl and kneels down to give his friend breakfast and a thorough petting and scratching.

    “Good boy Jack, I never have to worry about gun toting sea birds with you around.” He chuckled as he puts away the food and started getting a pan warm for his own breakfast. Jack headed for his bowl and dug in whole heartedly.

    “I’ll need you to carry on at guard mate,” Gill said as he cracked an egg into the hot pan on the stove, “I have to go into town again this morning for a meeting at the bank.” Just saying the words aloud made Gill lose some of his appetite he thought as he shook his head. “I would rather stick a hook in my eye than have to go but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

    Gill had received his second notice that month from the bank about his payment for the ship and he knew this time the bank was not playing around. As best he could recall he had been in arrears with his payments for the last four months. The letter practically ordered him to be at the bank at 9:30 A.M. for a conference call between him, his friend Brad and the big wigs in New York that held the title. He knew he had every reason to worry. He had very little money in the bank and no real prospects on clients yet. The season was still young, but usually by now he had a least booked two or three trips for daily’s and sometimes a full week or even two. He thought that maybe his saving grace would be that he had the upcoming weekend booked solid. That, and some persuasion from Brad, may keep the bank off him as long as he promised the money he stood to make go directly to the bank, he hoped.

    Gill finished preparing his breakfast and sat down with coffee, eggs and a filet of mahi mahi. He wanted to make sure he got to the bank a little early to be able to talk to Brad alone before the others were there to chime in. Gill smiled as he ate and watched his friend Jack make short work of his breakfast. He thought how great it must be to be able to lay on a dock all day and bark at birds for a living. Have your meals served to you and to never know what the word money, or lack of it, even meant. “Dogs life?” he whispered as he shook his head, “I’d love to try it.”

    Gill finished his breakfast and put the used bowls and pans in the sink. He then headed for his room to get ready for what was sure to be a grueling hour long gripe session.                 
    In his mind he could see ten bank big shots with the old English judge wigs on, sitting behind a judge’s bench pointing their fingers at him and demanding the return of the Key. Not a pretty picture for him and almost enough to make him lose his breakfast he had just finished. He had to get money in the bank and fast. As he was laying out his clothes and preparing the shower it dawned on him just what it would mean to lose his beautiful boat. His life would be over as he knew it. The thought of doing anything else in this world was to him, well, unthinkable.
    His shower done and his “meeting clothes” on he stepped off the gangplank leading from the Key and onto the dock of the marina. Jack jumped on the dock directly behind him.

    “Stay.” Gill said firmly, “I will be back as soon as I can.”
Jack sat immediately and gave him a longing look; almost as if he knew his master was preparing to walk the plank.

    Gill made his way to the end of the pier and headed into town towards the bank. As he walked he thought how beautiful the morning was, crisp, clear and warm. He thought of all the people in the world that were so happy this day had finally come. Some waiting and watching, marking their calendars for this day to start their vacations, some were giving birth to their children, some maybe even retiring to a life of ease. He thought how lucky they were and that this day for him meant he may lose everything he loved on this earth.

    Gill entered the front door of the Huntington Financial building and was met by the receptionist whom he only knew as Barb. “Good Morning Gill,” Barb said smiling, “How are you today?” He returned her smile and as he walked past her in the direction of his friend Brad’s office, “Well Barb,” Gill sighed, “ask me in an hour.”

    Gill stuck his head in the door of Brad’s office and knocked on the wooden jam, “Anyone home?”
    “Come in Gill, have a seat” Brad said as he looked at his watch and pointed to the high backed leather chair across the desk from him, “You’re a little early this morning.”

    Gill made his way to the chair opposite Brad’s desk and sat down.
    “Oh I didn’t sleep much I guess, big day today.” He said nervously as he could already feel the beads of sweat building up on his forehead

    “Don’t worry too much Gill, if it comes down to it I can help you out” Brad tried to comfort his old buddy. “The worst thing I imagine they will do is to give you 30 days to become current and that should be easy for you this time of the year.”

    Gill wiped his hands on his pant legs and said, “That would be fantastic old pal, but between you and me, I only have two days booked this season, and I don’t really know how the rest of the charter year will go beyond that.” Gill got up and headed for the coffee pot that was in the corner of Brad’s office on an oak cart. “Tell me something Brad,” Gill said trying his best not to sound petrified, “Do you think a thousand dollars will keep them off my back until I can make some real money?” He asked as he poured some coffee into a Styrofoam cup he had gotten off the cart.

    “I think that may work, listen Gill, I know these clowns and their just trying to scare you into either refinancing with them or trying to come up with all the money you can muster,” Brad said. “I think if you told them you would give them a thousand dollars by Monday and enough money from what you are due from customers this season to become current, it would keep them happy for a little while.” Brad looked at the door and then directly at Gill and spoke quietly. “Although I don’t think I would mention you only have this weekend booked, that might not look so good from their point of view”. Brad added, “I happen to know for a fact they don’t want the ship back. They would rather have you pay it off.” Brad looked Gill over and added, “Where is your receipt book?”

  Gill looked at Brad like a second grader that didn’t have his homework done. “I left it on the boat; I didn’t figure it was that important, nothing really in it to look over”. He said.

    Brad sighed, “Damn it Gill, You’re going to make me lie for you again, these guys are stuffed shirts yes, but they have the power to make your life miserable.” Brad shook his head and laughed under his breath. “What would you do without me?” He asked his friend.

    Gill looked sheepishly at his old friend and said, “There would just be no reason to go on ole buddy.” Gill held his cup up as to say cheers and drank his coffee. He laid his head back on the chair to take a deep breath and look at the ceiling. “Once again you are saving me man; I don’t know how you put up with me all these years”. Gill looked at Brad, “If not for you I just don’t know where I would be right now.”

    “Well ole buddy, I don’t think you’d be here in this office facing a firing squad if not for me”, Brad chuckled. “I wish you would just let me give you the money for the whole loan, but I know, I know”, he said holding his hands up in front of him, “I wont mention that, I don’t want to battle you for an hour over it anymore, but I am helping you because your my favorite person on earth,” he paused and smiled, “And besides, I told your mom I would look after you and I don’t forget real friends.”

    “I don’t either Brad, in fact you need to swing by the boat when you can get out of here this evening, I caught some fresh dolphin and tuna I’d like to grill you some filets, maybe even have a beer or two.” Gill said still sipping his coffee.
    “Sounds like a plan, I can’t stay out to late though, I have to get home and pack to go to Bimini in the morning. My plane leaves at 5:50 A.M. and I won’t be back till next Wednesday.”

    “Oh, is that this weekend? I thought you weren’t leaving for another two weeks” Gill said with a puzzled look on his face.

    “Yes, My meeting was moved up because the architects finished their plans early for an upcoming project over there, I am supposed to ok the plans and start processing their loan.” Brad sighed “Their raring to start tearing up 35 acres of prime beach front to put up a condo, so hence; I have to be gone by morning.”

      “Ouch, man I hate to hear that, not enough virgin beaches left in the world if you ask me.” Gill said finishing off his coffee and wiping his chin of the last drop. “So what does thirty five acres of beachfront go for in Bimini?” Gill asked out of curiosity.
“Well, let’s just say you can sell a condo unit for four hundred thousand, that just for one unit out of the whole condo”. Brad said. “The property over there is worth much more, think about it, all of North Bimini is only seven miles long and seven hundred feet wide, thirty five prime acres of that small of a land mass it worth a kings ransom ”.
    The telephone buzzed on Brad’s desk, it was Barb, “Mr. Dennon, New York on the phone for you”. She said. “Thank you Barbara.” Brad said and looked seriously at Gill.

    “Mr. Dennon?” Gill said with a laugh, “I will just never get used to that.”
    Brad rolled his eyes and said, “Showtime Gill, remember, professional, articulate and don’t be scared of these guys, I know them and their all fat and ugly.” Brad smiled and leaned forward to hit the conference call button on his phone.

      “Huntington Financial this is Brad Dennon speaking” he said trying to sound as professional as possible.

    “Good morning Brad, this is William Brock in conference, attending as well is Ms. Donna Banks, Mr. Steven Moore and Mr. Paul Zeigler. Were calling about the seriously delinquent account of one Mr. Gill Preston.”

    “Yes Mr. Brock, we have Mr. Preston and myself in attendance here. We have already begun to put our heads together this morning on working a plan to get him back on track in order to honor his financial obligations with our company.”

    “Seems as though it may be to late for him,” Mr. Brock said smugly, “Not many other companies would even consider keeping his account in the situation it is in.”
    Gill watched as Brad scribbled something on a paper and slid it to him from across his desk. It said two words. “Scare Tactics.”

    Brad dove right into the bottom line, “Mr. Brock, it appears that one payment can be made of one thousand dollars by Monday of next week, and then four more thousand can be made to his account before the end of the month”. Brad looked at Gill as he spoke.

    Gill’s jaw almost hit the floor as he mouthed the words “Four Thousand.”
“Well, that would be the first time we would receive five thousand dollars a month since he has had his account with us. Have you viewed his receipts and ledger book?” Mr. Brock asked.

    “I have that information right here let me see”, Brad shuffled some papers on his desk as he looked at Gill with a smirk. “Yes here we go, he has seventeen hundred and forty three dollars here and looks to be booked up for practically the entire month for charters which would net Mr. Preston another twelve thousand dollars, I personally think there should be no problem according to these records for him to make good on the payments.”

    Brad gritted his teeth at Gill for making him out and out lie to his boss.
Gill was in shock, he was sitting in the leather chair, with his hands on his head staring at the ceiling.

Ms. Banks chimed in, “I for one would like to hear directly from the owner of this loan, does he talk?” She said in the best “you’re a loser” voice she could muster.
    “Certainly, Let me introduce you to Mr. Gill Preston, Gill,” Brad said as he grimaced and pointed to his friend.

    “Uh, yea, I am here, over”. He said as he made the motion of a gun to his head with his hand and pretending to pull the trigger.
    “It wont be necessary to say over Mr. Preston, this is not ship to shore radio”, Donna said, still with her voice in the same tone. “Mr. Dennon has set up a rather vigorous payment schedule for you judging from your past, can you honor the time tables we have been given”?

    “I uh, think I uh,” Gill stumbled for words that just weren’t there. Brad motioned for him to get closer to the phone. Gill stood up and put his face six inches from the receiver on Brad’s desk.
    “I think I will be able to do everything Brad stated.” Gill sounded nervous.
  “Think is not a word I personally wanted to hear Mr. Preston,” Ms. Banks replied, “All I expect is a definite answer, yes or no. It appears after reviewing your financial record we have a history of having to chase you every month at payment time.” Gill was starting to get a little upset by this woman’s tone. He bit his lip and flipped his middle finger in the direction of the phone.

    “Well, it’s been kind of slow so far this season, but I am sure it will come around and after this month you should have no more problems from me.” Gill mustered all the warm and fuzzy voice he could. “I would appreciate the chance to become current and honor my debt in full.” Brad was impressed with that and gave him a nod and the ok sign with his index finger and thumb.

  “Mr. Preston, Mr. Steven Moore here, I would like to ask about your past payment record and the properties used to secure this loan.” Is this guy fifteen years old or what? Gill thought to himself. He pictured a kid fresh out of sixth grade with pimples, braces and pictures of Wonder woman on his bedroom wall. “Well, I see there were no properties listed to be held, that’s odd, it appears you have had no other source of income except for your charter services either, you secured this loan on just your stellar credit record I suppose. Is there anything you can offer at this time to be held as collateral?"

  Brad didn’t want them digging this deep into Gill’s credit background. It could spell trouble for him and Gill. Brad looked at Gill and shook his head no. Gill leaned forward again to the speaker on the desk, “Just some fishing gear and a dog that thinks he’s a human.” Gill said, trying his best to lighten the mood. With a huge smile on his face he sat back in his chair and looked at Brad as if he had pulled it off. Brad made a motion of a knife moving across his neck with his hand and now shaking his head no in very big movements
.
“It will be noted on your account Mr. Preston; though I assure you we are not in the kennel business, nor canine sales.”

    “Mr. Preston,” Mr. Brock was back on the speaker. “We will review your request and your payment schedule. We will be in touch with Mr. Dennon by this afternoon with the final word. Thank you Brad and we all here wish you a good day, Mr. Preston, we will be in touch.” He said. “Oh and by the way Brad, nice work on that Bimini contract. We can’t wait to hear all the news upon your arrival back in the states. Keep up the good work down there.” He added.

    “Thank you Mr. Brock and thank everyone there in New York for giving the audience to my client, if you need any further information I will be in all day, just give me a call.” Brad said and with that he hit the button to end the conference.
© Copyright 2007 Mortimer Kent (tmccutch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1338633-The-Skeleton-Key