*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1339637-College--The-equalizer
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1339637
My friends though African-Americans by default qualify for full financial aide.
Many of my friends were surprised when I voiced concerns about attending college.  My friends though my grades qualified me for scholarships, and seemed to have a proclivity to believe African-Americans by default qualify for full financial aide.  Well I am African-American and I did not qualify for financial aide or campus work-study

FASFA guidelines decree my family’s income sufficient to pay my college cost.  If only mom opted to stay home I would qualified for financial aide.  Mother works as an Assistant Principal at a high school in the South Bronx ninety miles from home.  We are the typical middle class American family living pay-check-to-pay check.  Like her, I too will start my life paying hefty college loans.  So is college really an equalizer? 

My mother was denied the College Plus Parent loan.  I applied for a bank loan, and was approved at 14% variable interest rate.  Variable rate loans increase without limit.  Ironically, my mother’s disqualification for the Plus loan qualified me to borrow unsubsidized loans.  Subsidized loans earn interest after completion of studies.  Unsubsidized loan earn interest immediately. 

After graduating from Pine Bush High school, I attended Baruch College in New York City.  It was not my first, second or third choice but it seemed to be my only option.  Traveling between home and school was impossible so I rented a furnished room thirty minutes from school and work nights to pay my expenses.

I feared not meeting the demanding challenges of my job but feared more not keeping up with my coursework.  One day I attempted to purchase a $70 monthly metro card.  The machine took my money but did not dispense my card.  I went to the bank to cash my paycheck and realized I had lost it.  I walked over a mile to my job where my boss charged me $50 to replace the check.  That was one of my bad days; however, I can honestly say I take great pride in my perseverance through this experience. 

I ended the school year with a 3.2 GPA and was happy to return home to my quite country life at Orange County New York.  We learned it might be more affordable to attend a private college.  We knew we could not afford New York State Universities because although they cost around $17000 per year they lack scholarship opportunities. 

We did a web search, learned Indiana University of Pennsylvania granted a large number of academic scholarships, and had an honors college.  I was immediately motivated to apply because it was on a traditional campus and offered the learning community setting I so enjoyed at Baruch.

When I informed my mother I wanted to attend the Robert E. Cooks Honors College she said, “The main college, IUP, might have placement for you but the honors collage only accepts one hundred students each year, its now June.  They might already have their quota.”  At first, my heart dropped then she said, “Go for it.”  That was the boost I needed.  This year, June 2007, they made an exception.  They accepted one hundred one students, and granted me a partial scholarship.  I am proud to say I now attend the Robert E. Cooks Honors College. 

My story is far from unique but it is my hope that it draws attention to the plight faced by middle class American families.  Most of all I hope my story inspires one student to take the journey.  Thanks for reading my story. 
© Copyright 2007 lawmaker06 (eclarke7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1339637-College--The-equalizer