*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1340488-The-Gods-Game
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1340488
The emperor of the east meets the king of the west...
*Star*Featured in "Fantasy Newsletter (December 5, 2007)

         The ebony garbed warrior could no longer gaze upon the snow covered peaks as the reflection from the morning sun engulfed the mountain pass within a halo of light. A family of rare blue birds greeted the dawn with a chorus of high notes. The screech of a lone eagle challenged the song. The display of peace struck the emperor as ironic. The calm before the storm.

         The sound of frozen snow being crushed underfoot behind him broke him from his meditations. He reached for the katana at his side before exhaling a weary sigh, the clean mountain air forming a cloud of mist in front of him. He did not turn around to greet his visitor. Only one being would have the courage to disturb him. "I told you I wanted a moment to myself, Rmuk."

         Rmuk grunted and paused. The shocked sound coming from his General amused the man. "My apologies God King. I only wished-"

         "You may as well join me, old friend. Come and marvel at why men name this range Ma-R's Bane."

         The man known as the God King stepped back as his friend peered over the ledge. He watched his one-eyed companion as he studied the bottomless gorge descending into darkness. Rmuk scratched the empty left socket as he studied the natural ice bridge connecting the empire with the unconquered lands of the west. The ogre flinched as he took note of the many small black specks littering the ivory horizon beyond the ice bridge. The man nodded at his general's perceptiveness as he waited to hear the emerald giant's mental calculations.

         "Two thousand." The ogre's rare gift of intelligence never failed to amaze the man known as the God King. Rmuk turned from the ledge and faced the smaller human. "Much honor will be earned this day."

         The God King sighed and shook his head. "You think I would willingly sacrifice a fifth of your people?"

         Rmuk took a knee, his studded leather armor groaned in protest. "You found the Promised Land as was told in the stories of old. Our lives for yours."

         The man known as the God King groaned in disgust. "They call this Ma-R's Bane because this is the place where his legions were beaten back centuries ago. I command fifty thousand men. I bring ten thousand ogres, twice as many goblins, and maybe five hundred trolls. Rmuk, listen carefully to what I tell you. Ma-R led well over two hundred thousand men to this bridge and was routed.

         "God King-"

         Anger blinded the emperor. "Your fool ogre pride can be most taxing at times. Do you not see this bridge? Two of you will not be able to walk abreast without running each other over. Do you not see the enemy gathering on the other side?" The hurt look on the beast's face cooled the God King's mood. "Why do you persist in questioning my motives at every turn, old friend?"

         A beady, ebony eye stared up into his bronze eyes. "Because I know you, God King. You will fight a thousand foes alone if it will save one of us. This is not the way it should be."

         The man joined Rmuk in the snow, his linen garments did little to halt the sudden chill he felt in his knees. The ogre was a broad, massive thing, making the emperor feel like a child looking up at his father. "I once told you that I would ask for you to die for me when the time came." Rmuk nodded and began an intricate study of the trampled snow beneath them, avoiding his king's commanding gaze. The emperor leaned forward, clasped the ogre on the shoulder, and dropped his voice to a whisper. "This is not that day. This is not that fight." Rmuk nodded with more confidence than before. "No unnecessary blood will be shed this day. I will earn the bridge and the mountains surrounding it or," the human smiled, "you will be able to return to the Promised Land with my death." The emperor rose and walked onto the ice bridge with purpose, leaving his friend behind. He did not look back as he walked to the heart of Ma-R's Bane and waited.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

         The sun reached its zenith before his silent request for parley received an answer. A lone figure approached with a purposeful stride. It was not long before he came face to face with what passed for a ruler of the western lands. The emperor's dark eyebrows rose in amazement as he recognized the man behind the azure dragonscale armor. "Haldaorf?"

         The immense man paused, ten paces away, from the emperor and returned the query with a bearded frown. "So you are the famed threat from the east. It has been some time Bellemarr." He crossed golden arms as wide as oaks across his mammoth chest. "It seems fitting we should meet at the place you left me to die all those years ago."

         Bellemarr looked up at the man and gave a slight nod in agreement. "Very providential. Perhaps the gods will also find it fitting for our final battle to take place at the walls of Une, where your people betrayed me to the Gaulls."

         Haldaorf's almond shaped eyes closed to slits. "This is our final battle little brother."

         Bellemarr held up a placating hand. "It does not have to be. Let me speak to your king."

         Irritation flared within his old companion. Bellemarr reached for the condensed quarterstaff opposite his sword but paused as Haldaorf made no move to wield the double bladed battle-axe strapped to his back. "I rule here, little brother, and there will be no negotiations."

         Bellemarr nodded, he assumed as much and wondered what happened to the Gaulls who ruled when he left these lands.

         "I rule the horse lords too, little brother. Should you win the bridge, they will be waiting."

         "I am not here to fight."

         "You seek the Seal of Ma-R."

         Bellemarr blinked as he tried, in vain, to hide his incredulousness.

         "Yes, little brother, I know of your mad quest." Haldaorf removed the axe from his back and held it with one hand, pointing its tip to the ground. "I have been appointed the seal's guardian. I will not allow you to pass."

         Bellemarr laughed, confidence returned. He wiped a tear from his eye with a tan hand before responding. "The gods are playing you, big brother. You are merely the victim of a game, a slave of circumstance. I come here with an offer of peace and you refuse it because the gods placed an unwanted burden upon you."

         Haldaorf's chiseled face betrayed nothing of his feelings. "Your horde will fall here."

         Bellemarr's anger flared. "You will doom your people to the sword because of the mantle the gods placed upon you? You were ever the fool, big brother."

         "You killed your brother when you left him to die." Haldaorf lifted his axe.

         "And you betrayed yours." Bellemarr unsheathed his ebony katana. "So, this is how our story ends?" He was saddened by the developments of this day. "I have defeated you before. You know you can not win."

         "Things have changed."

         Bellemarr felt something he did not expect. The air cackled with life around the men. Small fissures appeared in the ice around the tall barbarian. Haldaorf began to grow. His arms and legs bulged more then their normal mass as the life around them suffused the king with strength. He has learned to harness the power of the human soul. Bellemarr watched as his enemy stopped growing at eight spans, chest heaving from exertion. The barbarian was as large as a troll now, the weapon in his hand no more than a child's toy. He uses the land around him as a conduit. Effective, but primitive.

         Time slowed as Bellemarr fell into the familiar meditation. He closed his eyes and fell within himself, spiraling downward into the essence of his being. He found the center. It was like finding an oasis in the desert. He leaned forward for a drink, but only a sip. He did not want to kill this man. There was no changing of the winds, no cracks in the ice; no outward sign of the power as it filled him.

         Bellemarr opened his eyes and saw the world through the eyes of a god. The air seemed alive. The winds whispered his name. The sun smiled a nurturing smile. He felt the souls of those who still lingered along the pass, fallen soldiers of a forgotten battle, lost in their search for peace. He saw the faces of the barbarian clansmen in the distance, watching, waiting. He knew their names, their history, their dreams and failures. His foe was a small wretched thing beneath his notice. Perhaps a visual will help him understand.

         The young man unleashed the torrent pent up inside. A strong wind assaulted Haldaorf, causing him to stagger back a step. Bellemarr could hear the gasps from the army as the wind died around them. He could taste their fear. The thrill of his power over the masses seduced him. He could have more. He could have it all, if only he chose to cross the threshold from mortal to god. He battled the urge to become what he most despised. He fought for freedom, not dominion.

         The disbelief on Haldaorf's face was apparent. "Now do you understand big brother? You were used. You are a pawn placed here as a sacrifice and nothing more." Bellemarr reached out with his empty palm, pleading with his old comrade. "Join me. Let me teach you."

         Haldaorf did not waste a moment in hesitating before rejecting the offer with a slight shake of his head. "It is my duty, little brother. I would be less of a man if I fled from it."

         Bellemarr howled in divine rage. "You do not do this for the gods. You do not care about your land. Only your foolish pride prolongs this pointless conflict." The skies darkened in his anger. A single strike of lightning raced across the sky, striking the western peaks of Ma-R's Bane. He raised the sinister weapon forged by his own hands. "So be it. Come and face oblivion."

*          *          *

Author's notes

         This is a future excerpt from my novel; "Invalid Item. If you wish to read more about my Bellemarr then try "Invalid Item if you have the time. While the ending may seem open ended, it is not if you pay attention to the attitudes of the two men. There are enough clues to decipher the end of the conflict without me insulting you with details. I hope you enjoyed the story and have time to a review or comment for improvement.
As always, thank you for your time,
"Invalid Item
© Copyright 2007 Joshiahis (duggadugga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1340488-The-Gods-Game