*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1341977-Alone-Again
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1341977
A young man finds hopes and dreams in suitcase his grandfather gave him when he was a boy.
Here I am...walking towards a way out. I had always figured that the start of my life would be magical with a wife, maybe kids, a small farmhouse on the sweet smelling hills of Mississippi, but I can honestly say that I can not recall picturing myself walking down this dusty road towards freedom. It all started when I heard wedding bells. My mother forced me to propose to my so called high school sweetheart, Janet.
"Luke?" Janet called as she put the breakfast dishes in the sink.
"Yes dear" I replied as came around the corner of the laundry room.
"You can do the dishes now." she said as she went to the living room. I started scrubbing the sticky homemade jam off of the plate. I'm not quite sure when everything turned sour, but I know that she isn't the blonde haired, brown eyed sweet thing I had gotten down on one knee for.
"Hey honey?" she yelled over the boom of the television.
"What." I said gritting my teeth about the fact that I still had to unpack the cattle from the trailer.
"When are you going to get to the basement?" She said knowingly annoying me.
"Today dear." I replied letting up on my teeth as I made my way to the basement. I opened an old trunk of my grandfathers that had been given to me by my grandmother apon his death. When I opened it I became intrigued about the fact of the old suitcase he had given me when I was a boy. I quickly put the combination in, which was taped to the back, and pulled out a crumpled piece of notebook paper.
'Keep this suitcase close because it is a guarantee that you will be needing it sooner than you think.'
I put the paper back in and closed it. It all began to make since so I walked up to the lonely cold bedroom were me and Janet shared so much and I began to pack up all of my most personal belongings. I knew she was watching her television as usual. I couldn't be so cold to where I would take the truck so I began to move my feet towards freedom. Now here I am...walking towards a way out.
© Copyright 2007 super_darlin (super_darlin10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1341977-Alone-Again