*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1342407-A-Sentimental-Journey
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Romance/Love · #1342407
This is an essay i wrote in my matric year. "A Sentimental Journey" was the topic given.
A Sentimental Journey

First, comes the glance. The eyes cross paths once…then, the double take! Locked in a magnetic, unvoiced embrace. Captivated. Eyes explore – the curve of the neck, the spiral of the ear, the soft roundness of the cheek. The mouth. They travel, painfully, meticulously slowly, but swift as whiplash all at once. Seeking, finding, deciding.

Decided. Now they know. The pull strengthens, the grip tightens and the link is forged – without a single touch. At least, not yet. Emotion knotting around itself, feeling within feeling, draws the two closer. Unsure. Unbidden; but unprevented nonetheless – they know the struggle is in vain. Their hands join the dance now, hesitant movements in parallel; unconscious echoes of one another. Advancing, retreating, withdrawing, reaching…for what? For the welcome shiver of touch.

The touch! An electric shock, a tremor of hope beneath the skin. There is an enticing dread in the paradox of contact – soft but strong, the unexpected and anticipated felt in harmony. It’s easy to see it coming, but impossible to prepare for this invited invasion of space. Even the gentlest caress feels like lightning to the unwary flesh. Every touch comes with a sting, but the loss of control just adds to the thrill.

Soon comes the shut-in: the gap is closing fast now, the world suddenly becomes smaller. Cut off, closed in, detached from the distant universe. This is voluntary exile – necessary, even. Who needs the presence of those outsiders? It is only right that his world is full of her, and hers of him. The concentration is intense – absolute silence fills the frozen instant, so easily broken. Timing is crucial: who will be the first to move? When?

Now the approach – the last of the gap eradicated. The space between them narrowing with every breath. With each millimeter lost, the heart rate rises a notch – beating. Beating faster. Faster every second, but at the same time not moving at all. Closer and yet still light years of indecision away…shaking now they know it’s inevitable, is it fear? Excitement? Or just with the sheer expectation of the moment?

An infinitesimal pause – the cleft now achingly, temptingly narrow. This is the point of no return. Who will lead? This awkward split second stretches out, the calm before the storm. Blink, and it is lost. Breathing becomes a deadly hurricane. The eyes meet one more time and a debate rages. Who will give in first? Is it weakness or strength to submit? They yield.

Mutual surrender. Finally they fall together, a mirror image melting into itself, in the last instant before their minds are cleansed of all thought and they find a precious few seconds of blissful oblivion.

Then comes the kiss.
© Copyright 2007 Jessica (slow_smile at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1342407-A-Sentimental-Journey