*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/134302-We-need-more-time-for-Discovery
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Relationship · #134302
I dove into this relationship with both feet only to discover the time was not YET right.
As Big Bear traveled home on the beaten path from a long day of foraging for food, he began to notice that his once familiar stomping surrounds have become very foreign to him. He has traveled this path for sometime and he thought he knew it inside out. How is it that he did not notice this on his every day travels? Had he been sleep walking all this time or did someone move the forest around while he was not looking? As he began to ponder this, he eliminated every possibility and came to a surprising conclusion. The forest did not change, just his perception of it.

The more he pondered this, the clearer it became. It all started when his and Little Bear's paths crossed a short time ago. How he loved to meet her there as often as possible and at times they would go off to explore new paths and discover how compatible they where together. Oh how he remembered each and every moment that they spent together, feeling so close. It felt as though it would never end.

Before they made love on that moonlit night, she asked him what was his one wish. He wished to be loved by her as though he was hers forever. His wish was granted.

A few weeks passed, with each visit better than the last. Then it happened. Little Bear began to pull back out of fear that she was losing herself and not behaving like the mother she was. She could see that Big Bear was doing the same. This was such a painful discovery for her, at times she found it difficult to breathe.

So ever so slowly, she began the process of weaning herself from Big Bear. It was not that she did not love him, just the opposite. She realized that the time was not yet right for either of them to live a life together forever, but her focus must be on her cubs. They come first.

When the time was right, she would make her move to return to Big Bear, but not before then. She really never told Big Bear, fearing that he would take it the wrong way, so onward she moved, further and further away.

The next time they meet, it was days, which slowly turned to weeks to a point where she did not see him at all. She felt that if he really loved her, he would be there waiting for her when the time was right.

But how long would it be, she did not know. She felt Big Bear needed time to come to grips with this new reality that was totally foreign to him as well as for her. They both had to go it alone until they mastered the skills required in walking this path.

As much as she wanted to tell him everything was okay, she had to let him discover the things she already knew and to find the strength for the things they did not.

As time passed, they both looked to the stars for the answers they were seeking, only to be discovering what they already knew. The wise old owl had many wonders to share, but that did not seem to be enough, so off they went to seek another. Some would say the same thing while others told them things they did not want to hear.

Both bears were seeking the answers for the questions, but sadly they came to the conclusion the answers where unwritten and they must be learned on their own, otherwise they would never understand their true selves and what they really meant to each other.

Big Bear himself had told Little Bear that they would need a least a month away from each other to find their way back to each other. Looking back, he wondered how he ever had the strength to tell Little Bear this, for only a week had passed, but it felt like an eternity since he last touched her.

In hindsight, he realized that he was afraid of this time alone, and attempted to keep it from happening at all. But in doing so, it only strengthened Little Bear's feelings that this was the right thing to do.

During his frantic panic to reach her, he could not see the big picture. To him, it felt as though he was dying inside because the one he loved so dearly was drifting further and further away.

Now, the panic has passed, but he must come to grips with the fact that the pain still resides; and this is with what he must come to grips. It is only now that he truly understands why a month apart is needed.

He is truly amazed of the inner strength Little Bear has shown to follow through with what he had asked of her with such blind conviction. He now knows this month was not meant for her, but for him alone. He realizes he will get through this, but will Little Bear be strong enough to see him through his journey? Only time will tell.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"Invalid Item
© Copyright 2001 Big Bear (bigbear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/134302-We-need-more-time-for-Discovery